British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UAE ICPC ACCRO Police Certificate- Please help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uae-icpc-accro-police-certificate-please-help-942846/)

MelissaJ1 Feb 18th 2022 9:35 pm

UAE ICPC ACCRO Police Certificate- Please help

Hi, Hope someone can shine some light on this for me. I have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi as a teacher. I have been accused of offence and have been arrested. It has been 1 year and the police have released me under further investigation. I am 100% innocent but have not been charged or cautioned. The police are clearly taking their time closing the case. I have to do a ACRO Police check and am worried that this may show. Has someone been in similar situation where they have been arrested and the ACRO report has come back as no trace as no result of arrest is given. I am stressing so much as working in Abu Dhabi has been a dream come true. The school has accepted me but I am worried the ACRO may state that I have been arrested and I am scared I may lose this opportunity

psychopomp1 Feb 19th 2022 2:00 am

Re: UAE ICPC ACCRO Police Certificate- Please help

AFAIK it’s only criminal record(s) which show up on the police certificate so you should be ok.

MelissaJ1 Feb 19th 2022 12:09 pm

Thank you for your response. But they mention any ongoing investigation apperently. Does it mean my report will come back as no trace?

psychopomp1 Feb 19th 2022 12:46 pm

Apologies, I stand corrected .

BIB from https://www.acro.police.uk/Guidance-...tish-embassies

How Police Certificates work

Anybody who has lived or worked in the UK is eligible to apply for an ACRO Police Certificate, which they can do so online via this website.

Applicants can choose either a standard service at a cost of £55, or a premium service at £95.

The certificate is sent directly to the applicant only, not to the embassy or other authority.

It provides authenticated details of any convictions, cautions, reprimands, warning and conditional discharges in line with the ACRO step-down model.

It also includes any impending prosecutions and offences that are under investigation. There may also be details of foreign criminal history information where it has been disclosed to the UK.

The product itself includes security measures that mean the authorities can verify the authenticity of individual certificates directly with ACRO.
As to how this will affect your job offer in UAE, sorry no idea.

Pepper01 Feb 20th 2022 8:49 am

So you're correct that this may show. From my understanding there are 3 things to consider.

1. What the offence is for. If it's a child safeguarding concern then the police force will disclose it regardless.
2. What your employer in the UAE will feel about this offence. If it's non children related and it shows up on the police check then it's worth having an open conversation with your new employee about this alleged offence.
3. Visa in the UAE. Whats the requirements for your visa. Does a clean police check need to be submitted with your visa application?

This all depends on what the alleged offence is. Regardless if you're innocent or not. A child safeguarding issue will be hard to mitigate, others might not be a barrier.

GlobalTrekker Feb 20th 2022 11:26 am

It's strange that any international school would want an ARCO police check. ARCO's main purpose is for visa/ residency applications (unless they want it for that).
They should get a DBS Enhanced check which would definitely show any arrest.

You can check what ACRO shows here - https://www.acro.police.uk/Acro/medi...DEL-v2-1_1.pdf
I think the certificate would definitely show any current investigations though.

Don't forget that they should send you the certificate to you and not the school so you will be able to check before the school gets it anyway.

Pepper01 Feb 20th 2022 11:34 am

Originally Posted by GlobalTrekker (Post 13095974)
They should get a DBS Enhanced check which would definitely show any arrest.

You cant get a DBS Enhanced if you're based overseas, you can only obtain an enhanced DBS if a UK based employer asks for it.
I do agree it's strange to ask for a ACRO- this must be for the visa application then, because the school should additionally ask for an ICPC if you have spent time in the UK teaching.

MelissaJ1 Feb 22nd 2022 8:02 pm

Pepper01 Thank you. The alleged crime is theft. I did not steal anything but the police have arrested me for it. I have not been charged nor do they have any evidence. The school in Abu Dhabi have asked for a ICPC police certificate. Part 1 is exactly like the ACRO police check and part 2 will contain any child safeguarding issue. I have never been involved in a crime apart from that accusation which will obviously show and this wont comply with the good character conduct. I have done enhanced dbs checks with my current school and it did not show. I haven't handed in my resignation as a head of english teacher. Has anyone ever got a teaching job in Abu Dhabi with a ongoing police investigation which will 99% lead to a no further action?

GlobalTrekker Feb 23rd 2022 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Pepper01 (Post 13095976)
You cant get a DBS Enhanced if you're based overseas, you can only obtain an enhanced DBS if a UK based employer asks for it.
I do agree it's strange to ask for a ACRO- this must be for the visa application then, because the school should additionally ask for an ICPC if you have spent time in the UK teaching.

I was involved in international school recruitment several years ago and we definitely used Enhanced DBS checks provided via umbrella bodies in the UK.
So I was going to say you are wrong, but I just Googled it and you are right.
The rules appear to have changed a couple of years back and DBS checks are no longer possible for overseas employers.

I am very happy MelissaJ1 that they have asked for a ICPC and not just the ARCO. ARCO may be visa related, but ICPC is definitely related to the school and child protection.
I have no idea about schools in Abu Dhabi. The one good thing is you will get the certificate and not them. That means you can hold off resigning until you see exactly what the ARCO/ICPC certificate says.

o.a.sheikh May 20th 2022 10:09 am

Originally Posted by MelissaJ1 (Post 13096648)
Pepper01 Thank you. The alleged crime is theft. I did not steal anything but the police have arrested me for it. I have not been charged nor do they have any evidence. The school in Abu Dhabi have asked for a ICPC police certificate. Part 1 is exactly like the ACRO police check and part 2 will contain any child safeguarding issue. I have never been involved in a crime apart from that accusation which will obviously show and this wont comply with the good character conduct. I have done enhanced dbs checks with my current school and it did not show. I haven't handed in my resignation as a head of english teacher. Has anyone ever got a teaching job in Abu Dhabi with a ongoing police investigation which will 99% lead to a no further action?

Hi Melissa, I hope you are well - How did the whole process go? I'm pretty much in a similar position when it comes to this as I have a caution from 22 years ago that follows me around like a bad smell - I also need an ICPC and worried that this caution may show up (one that I naively accepted as I just wanted to get on with my life! - in hindsight i should have contested it and taken it to court)... How did it go with your ICPC? Did it show your previous? Hope it went well and look forward to hearing from you...

Evilbungle May 20th 2022 10:43 am

My situation was a bit different (A very old case which I wasn't sure led to a crime or not) but I was also worried about it showing up so I submitted a Freedom of Information request via the ACCRO website (took about 3 weeks unfortunately) but that showed exactly what was on their database. Maybe a good way to put your mind at rest? And it is free.

MelissaJ1 May 20th 2022 10:46 am

Hey Thankfully it did not show. My investigation is on going. I was shocked to see it came back with no trace. Maybe it was irrelevant for ICPC purposes. Who knows
Fingers crossed yours also doesnt show. Worst case it will show as no live trace

o.a.sheikh May 20th 2022 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by MelissaJ1 (Post 13116298)
Hey Thankfully it did not show. My investigation is on going. I was shocked to see it came back with no trace. Maybe it was irrelevant for ICPC purposes. Who knows
Fingers crossed yours also doesnt show. Worst case it will show as no live trace

That's fantastic news! well done :) I'm so glad you cleared it up - I'm filling out my form now - heart is in my mouth - lets see :(

Emcgowan Mar 14th 2023 9:55 pm

Would you mind sharing what happened guys?
do you think it is possible to get a job and visa with an Acro that comes back- no live trace?

it was a caution as a 14 year old for being in an abandoned house.
thank you in advance for your replies