Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE house prices seen falling further 15-20%

UAE house prices seen falling further 15-20%

Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:34 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE house prices seen falling further 15-20%

Originally Posted by diablo
see you in ten years ... as for the cheap labour impact on design and structural characteritics on high rise buildings ... i'll have to think about it before jumping into any conclusion but something tells me you could be an accountant or a media designer or a hair dresser ... not necessarily an engineer?

anyhow, like the construction sites around the world are filled with highly skilled labour ... those very skilled seem to do their own business ... have you ever been on a "baustelle' in germany? have you seen who's working there? as for here, some of my friends have personally been as supervisory staff on various constrcution sites around dubai ... many of them lost their jobs ... but they were here during construction of these buildings ...
You truly have got your head up your arse! Seriously man, have you watched the building going on? have you any clue about the construction processes and codes?

I know numerous people in construction and the resounding advice they give is "Don't Buy Du-Bai!"

It's won't be the prices coming down, it'll be the buildings!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:27 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B Bear
...your building may have been designed by the greatest architect in the world but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it was built by an underpaid Bangladeshi farmer who has no idea what he is doing, and is pouring cement made with sand from the beach because some middle mans brother can do the job cheaper 'same-same!'

In 10 years time this city is going to a shoddy nightmare!
You didn't mention that the beach sand was mixed with salt-water.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:47 am

diablo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Roadking
You truly have got your head up your arse! Seriously man, have you watched the building going on? have you any clue about the construction processes and codes?

I know numerous people in construction and the resounding advice they give is "Don't Buy Du-Bai!"

what do you do other than riding a harley? if you are not no engineer then let's not argue the things you don't know and in particular about buidling's safety and engineering codes and standards.

as for people suggesting "Don't Buy Du-Bai!" that may nothing to do with the construction quality.

It's won't be the prices coming down, it'll be the buildings!
Do you hear yourself? Come on man, that's beyond ignorance.

Last edited by diablo; Jun 16th 2009 at 12:20 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:24 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

what do you do other than riding a harley? if you are not no engineer then let's not argue the things you don't know and in particular about buidling's safety and engineering codes and standards.

as for people suggesting "Don't Buy Du-Bai!" that may nothing to do with the construction quality.

Do you hear yourself? Come on man, that's beyond ignorance.
Funnily enough, I am an engineer, at least that's my qualifications and what it says on my visa. I may not be in the construction industry today but that doesn't mean that I'm "not no engineer". But I guess you know better...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking
But I guess you know better...
... no, I had no intention of implying that I know better; specifically if talking to an engineer; the whole point was about whether you were an engineer to discuss engineering issues and codes/standards ... however to say 'buildings will fall in 10 years' sounds more like nostradamus ... it just doesn't sund like an engineering statement ...

there are a few engineering failures around the world if i remember correctly like that airport building in france, or some construction sites in germany and bridges in the us and so on. of course there the failure was due to an error in engineering judgement and here is lack of engineering ... these guys here are as good as anywhere else at the same level of comparison ...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:59 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been swimming in that famous river in Egypt? You are seriously in Da Nile, mate.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:37 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

diablo, explain this one, my wifes company rents space in a building in abu dhabi, in the last two days over a dozen widows have fallen out, not just the glass but also the frames. these have then seriously damaged over 20 cars parked below. do you seriously believe that the building was built to international standards?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by shiva
diablo, explain this one, my wifes company rents space in a building in abu dhabi, in the last two days over a dozen widows have fallen out, not just the glass but also the frames. these have then seriously damaged over 20 cars parked below. do you seriously believe that the building was built to international standards?
c'mon shiva, you cannot use one building as an example; it would be rather an exception from the rule (particularly if you're talking buildings built by these small local buildiers similar to private houses etc). now if we had a major high rise building collapsing without apparent force (i.e., bomb, erthquake etc.) i would agree and the i vestigation would probably found some dodgy activities / to save some money but hey ... i live on a friken construction site ... Marina hey I watch these buildings from my balcony for years now ... and i'm telling you what i've seen ... what you've seen or your wife etc. is all valid but just a different experience ... i am talking from mine.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Have you been swimming in that famous river in Egypt? You are seriously in Da Nile, mate.
what do you do for living jimmy ... a bouncer in barrasti or s tructural engineer from a reputable university with 20+ years of engineering expertise?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:38 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

what do you do for living jimmy ... a bouncer in barrasti or s tructural engineer from a reputable university with 20+ years of engineering expertise?
Diablo, what the guys (and I) am saying is that regardless of the big names on the brochures - architects and engineers - the building is only as good as the chap on the ground who's actually building it.

The buildings can be overdesigned, and specc'd out to whatever standard anyone cares to choose, but once it's on site, decisions are made, costs are cut, deadlines are changed and so the outcome can be rather different from the original intent.

This happens all over the world, but whereas, for example, in the UK, Building Control and Planning aren't afraid to wade in and condemn (and have the power and authority to do so), in the ME, as well you know, things are more... flexible.

This doesn't mean to say that every single building is shoddy, but who's to know which is which or what's happened to what?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:41 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

c'mon shiva, you cannot use one building as an example; it would be rather an exception from the rule (particularly if you're talking buildings built by these small local buildiers similar to private houses etc). now if we had a major high rise building collapsing without apparent force (i.e., bomb, erthquake etc.) i would agree and the i vestigation would probably found some dodgy activities / to save some money but hey ... i live on a friken construction site ... Marina hey I watch these buildings from my balcony for years now ... and i'm telling you what i've seen ... what you've seen or your wife etc. is all valid but just a different experience ... i am talking from mine.
My stepfather has some property in AD. Very nice 'looking' villas(3) and a low rise building of 6 apartments........Not one of them is watertight,some of them...when you put the cooker hood on,the whole kitchen lights up like Fort Knox on a break out, plug in your kettle and sometimes you get an afro like the hairbear bunch,the drains.....omg!!!!. I stay in hotels mostly when I am there .These are 'quality builds'....would be condemned in UK for H&S....
The shodiness imho even spills over to 'Euro spec' Developments....
Al Raha Gardens in AD is very popular and has indeed won design awards.
Some of the units have stoves fitted in a space bordered by plastic/synthetic trim.....you switch your hob on and the heat from the ring melts the end of worktop strips.....'allegedly'(I say that to cover me but I've seen the meltdown)...the noise from the aircon is like spitfires limping home from B.o.B. and in some models- in their luverly 'him and hers' bathroom with the luverly rolltop standalone bath,you have to be a skinny minny to access the loo-there isn't enough space for a comely lass like myself possessed of a pair of 36/38/DD or a lager loving lad to negotiate the door which couldn't open becos of the bath parked so close.
Coupled with the problems relative to residencY-why would anyone want to invest in UAE????
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:55 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Quantity Surveyor with 20 years' experience, but I'm beginning to realise that i'm wasting my time and so is everyone else. Enjoy your fantasy world, fella!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:01 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Diablo, I like you for your madness but if you had half a dinar between your slavic ears you'd be buying up in Croatia..........
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:06 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Eva
Diablo, I like you for your madness but if you had half a dinar between your slavic ears you'd be buying up in Croatia..........
Eva, being from there I have a natural resistency to those areas. Now some people can claim differently but I know quite a few families that have lost their family homes in Croatia for being of 'worng' nationality. Same applies in other areas of former Yugoslavia; not for Brits though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.