Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The UAE Driving License

The UAE Driving License

Old Oct 4th 2011, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

DangerousBro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The UAE Driving License

Hello I need some advice from you ex-pat Sensi's out there.

I have been in Abu dhabi for about 6 months and finally going local, till now I have been renting cars on my Domestic UK license - (I am a Brit)

My Residence Visa has just come through and so I have begun the process to apply for a UAE drivers license to I can buy and register a car.

However I have been told that I can apply for a license in which case I have to take lessons and a test etc.

Or I can apply for License replacement in which case they take my UK license and replace it with the UAE one.

The problem the people telling about this are mostly Egyptian and I would prefer to hear from fellow Brits and I know that rules can differ depending on your host country.

Question I have

1 Does this sound true in your experience?2 If so what do you recommend, I am slightly nervous about surrendering my UK license, will this create problems with the DVLA for example. Or can you just get a duplicate from them.

What have people done in the past?

Cheers
Matt
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:15 pm
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UAE Driving License

Nope, all wrong.

Get yourself a copy of this: http://www.explorerpublishing.com/co...i-red_tape_487
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:23 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, a bit of lost in translation there. You get to keep your original UK driving licence. But as with everything here procedures are pretty fluid--even so, I haven't heard of anyone actually exchanging one for t'other. Just go along to the licencing centre with all the required docs, your sense of humour and an extra helping of patience, and Ahmed's yer uncle.

Sensei Bahtatboy
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Technically your UK licence will not be valid whilst you are driving with a UAE licence - but the licence will remain with you and the DVLA will be none the wiser.

Therefore, as an example, when renting car in the UK while still a resident in UAE, with UAE driving licence, you should be using your UAE licence when arranging with the UK car hire company.

However, should you choose to use your UK one, I can 99.9% guarantee there will be no questions asked on its validity (with regard to your residence here).
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:01 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Yeah, a bit of lost in translation there. You get to keep your original UK driving licence. But as with everything here procedures are pretty fluid--even so, I haven't heard of anyone actually exchanging one for t'other. Just go along to the licencing centre with all the required docs, your sense of humour and an extra helping of patience, and Ahmed's yer uncle.

Sensei Bahtatboy
Both Saudi and UAE will issue a drivers license based on your UK one whilst letting you keep it. I currently have UK, Saudi and UAE drivers licenses. All useful to have (just in case).

In fact the only reason I don't also have a Norwegian drivers license is that the DVLA kept it when issuing my UK license. Bastards!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:24 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Go to infinity services at Marina mall with your uk licence, paper bit of the uk licence, Arabic translation of licence (get this done in one of tHe shops off hamdan street - will take an hour) and cash. You may/may not also need your id card or the receipt to show you have started the application for the Id card. The diving licence man is in the left hand corner. The hordes of people waiting will be for the ID card.

It will take 10 - 15 mins tops if there's no one in front of you. Been twice and it was surprisingly effortless there.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Go to infinity services at Marina mall with your uk licence, paper bit of the uk licence, Arabic translation of licence (get this done in one of tHe shops off hamdan street - will take an hour) and cash. You may/may not also need your id card or the receipt to show you have started the application for the Id card. The diving licence man is in the left hand corner. The hordes of people waiting will be for the ID card.

It will take 10 - 15 mins tops if there's no one in front of you. Been twice and it was surprisingly effortless there.
if it is a new drivers licence you need id card to do that now.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by busybee2
if it is a new drivers licence you need id card to do that now.
not quite - you need the proof of application for ID card. You don't actually need to have received the card itself.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:13 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
not quite - you need the proof of application for ID card. You don't actually need to have received the card itself.
I just exchanged my license about 2 weeks ago with no mention of any ID card or ID card application. I went to the RTA in Al Quoz. They open 7.30am and there is nobody there at that time. Took 10 minutes.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by norsk
I just exchanged my license about 2 weeks ago with no mention of any ID card or ID card application. I went to the RTA in Al Quoz. They open 7.30am and there is nobody there at that time. Took 10 minutes.
You might have been lucky - I did mine 6 months ago, and my wife did hers last week, and we were both required to show the receipt one gets when one applies for the ID card. This was in the large licensing office just between Muroor and Airport Roads.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
sorry in abu dhabi they require it i believe.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes i know that thank you, but you have to go and do the typing and get the receipt, thats always been the case. you can be waiting long long time for the card to actually arrive.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You might have been lucky - I did mine 6 months ago, and my wife did hers last week, and we were both required to show the receipt one gets when one applies for the ID card. This was in the large licensing office just between Muroor and Airport Roads.
there is only one place to go in abu dhabi which is the traffic department between 2nd and 4th and 27th and 25th, in this compound there is the car rego place and the drivers licence place (ie the one up the stairs) this is where you have to go for your drivers licence.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:50 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

sorry in abu dhabi they require it i believe.
my bad. i saw lulabelle said something about marina mall and i know she's in dubai so jumped in feet first...
Old Oct 5th 2011, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

yes i know that thank you, but you have to go and do the typing and get the receipt, thats always been the case. you can be waiting long long time for the card to actually arrive.
It's not just the typing you have to have done, you have to have had the fingerprinting/photo done too and have the receipt for that.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.