Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE Drivers License

UAE Drivers License

Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:07 am
Just Joined

pedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nice
Default UAE Drivers License

I just arrived in Dubia and was curious about either renting or buying a car. I will have my work Visa in a couple weeks from my company. With the Visa, US Passport and international drivers license, can I obtain a UAE drivers lisence? I have read that you absolutly need a UAE Drivers license to be behind the wheel of either a rental or car that you buy here. Is getting the UAE license difficult (time consuming?? In addition, I assume that auto insurance is also readily available?? Thanks!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE Drivers License

If you have an International Driving Permit (from UK Post Office) you can hire a rental car. With a UK licence you can apply for a temporary Dubai licence which will also allow you to hire or drive a private car.

See link

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/driving-licence-in-dubai.php

Take care with the driving!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pedersenislands
I just arrived in Dubia and was curious about either renting or buying a car. I will have my work Visa in a couple weeks from my company. With the Visa, US Passport and international drivers license, can I obtain a UAE drivers lisence? I have read that you absolutly need a UAE Drivers license to be behind the wheel of either a rental or car that you buy here. Is getting the UAE license difficult (time consuming?? In addition, I assume that auto insurance is also readily available?? Thanks!
once you've got your visa, just take originals and a copy of your US licence and passport along with a few passport photos to one of the licensing centres. Fill in the form and they will give you your new licence. If its not busy it will take max 30 minutes.

as for insurance there are plenty of insurers here. Depending on the type of car you buy it should cost you 3-8% of the car's value. Suggest you repost once you've deceided what car to buy and people will advise which will be the best option for you. Avoid taking insurance from the car showroom without checking around first.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
once you've got your visa, just take originals and a copy of your US licence and passport along with a few passport photos to one of the licensing centres. Fill in the form and they will give you your new licence. If its not busy it will take max 30 minutes.

as for insurance there are plenty of insurers here. Depending on the type of car you buy it should cost you 3-8% of the car's value. Suggest you repost once you've deceided what car to buy and people will advise which will be the best option for you. Avoid taking insurance from the car showroom without checking around first.
and remember that 'licensing' is called 'licening' here

Does Dubai not require the form to by typewritten in Arabic then? Sharjah did !

You'll want to get there first thing after they open as well...
Old Nov 29th 2007, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvr20
and remember that 'licensing' is called 'licening' here

Does Dubai not require the form to by typewritten in Arabic then? Sharjah did !

You'll want to get there first thing after they open as well...
I was told it would but when I turned up they just told me to fill it in by hand!

One tip is be polite to the nice girls at the counter. I was with the rather cute local girl who handled my application. Whereas all the others (Indians and assorted arabs) had to wait a long time for the photo guy to come out with their licences, she went in a got mine for me without any delay!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:30 am
Just Joined

pedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nicepedersenislands is just really nice

Thank you all for the advice!! This city is amazing....almost overwhelming!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're having fun! Which places have you tried so far?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:43 am
Just Joined

I when to the Barista (I think near the meridian hotel) Tuesday night with a few new collegues; very busy and lots of people to "watch"!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

I when to the Barista (I think near the meridian hotel) Tuesday night with a few new collegues; very busy and lots of people to "watch"!
Barista? Can't say I know it - unless you mean the Barasti Bar at the Le Meridien Meena Siyahi, which is very popular!

Madam Medusa is our resident party animal - I'm sure she could string off a hundred top places to go....
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Love your enthusiasm! It is an amazing city. I think we forget that sometimes.

You are here at a good time of year for going out too. Have fun. x
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Yes, it was the barasta! Are there some other good hotel bars like the barasta near the Dubai Marina, Greens or Al Barshaa area that you would recommend?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, it was the barasta! Are there some other good hotel bars like the barasta near the Dubai Marina, Greens or Al Barshaa area that you would recommend?
head down to the Madinat to try The Agency, Jambase, Left Bank etc.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Usual suspects would be:

Buddha Bar, the bars at Madinat Jumeirah (JamBase, Left Bank, Agency etc), Bahri Bar at Mina Al-Salaam, 360 at JBR....

Next time the BE boys have a night out we'll give you a shout.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and you can always come along to the BE night out on the 7th!
let me know as will need to change table numbers
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:31 am
Just Joined

I appreciate the invite on the 7th....I have been watching you guys chat about it. I just couldn't commit becuase i'm so new here and I'm not sure what my company or the guys might have planned for me. I start work on Monday and I might get buried through the weekend. If the opportunity arises though, maybe I could at least stop through and say "hello", but please don't change any seat numbers on my account... But if we do find a chance to meet up over the next month or so....the first rounds on me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.