Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE DEBT FOR UK EXPAT RAKBANK - PLEASE HELP

UAE DEBT FOR UK EXPAT RAKBANK - PLEASE HELP

Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:16 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE DEBT FOR UK EXPAT RAKBANK - PLEASE HELP

Originally Posted by Pollyrodger

What would you say to the people who have been to court and the County Court Judge has awarded a standing charge as they believe these banks using their UK solicitors have a right to chase you because of this Jurisdiction clause.

Regardless of whether we get scared we cannot fight if the Judicial system is against us or doesn’t understand or is confused or dare I say it has been wined and dined by the said solicitors etc.
If this is happening I would say that someone is not doing their job (i.e. their solicitors) or the judge is on the take. Just because a UK solicitor claims jurisdiction doesn't mean the judge should agree. If this is happening the court system is failing...

Look, I'm not saying that people should be able to skip from their debts just because there is no jurisdiction, but the law is there to be followed.

Just to add my personal opinion to this, I think there is nothing more low in the world than someone who borrows a barrel of money, spends it on god knows what and then when things don't go to plan makes a run for the border and is subsequently unwilling to pay it back. Everybody has a sob-story about how it wasn't their fault and so on. Believe me when I say; nobody cares...

Why shouldn't that person be made to pay back his debt? Even if it takes 30 years they should pay what they can afford every month in my opinion.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Pollyrodger is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Norsk

I agree with what you have said. A debt is a debt.

However when you fall in hard times in UAE and they through you in jail and end up in a cycle that you can never escape from. No one will ever give a job to an expatriate who is languishing in jail. He needs a job to get out of jail and to re-pay his debt. Repeat Repeat the vicious circle.

Where for example I was not paid for 6 months in salary or expenses on a 50KAED per month package you soon spend your savings and then some.

Not a sob story ; just some facts.

You get to a stage where if you end up in Jail due to bounced cheques and have to make decisions for you and your family. Like most Emirates my family’s welfare comes first and it would not help with Daddy being in the clink with my boyish good looks being put too good use. WTF-OMG

These decisions I will live with and take the consequences that come with it.

In regards the UK courts. We have had barristers and solicitors advice as a group. One chap paid £3200 for the defence and it went against him. The solicitor then said he can appeal and they will get a “more expensive” barrister than the £800 pound per day version he had at court.

Where do you stop at this, mental eh !

Ramadan Kareem ;-0
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:08 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Norsk

However when you fall in hard times in UAE and they through you in jail and end up in a cycle that you can never escape from. No one will ever give a job to an expatriate who is languishing in jail. He needs a job to get out of jail and to re-pay his debt. Repeat Repeat the vicious circle.

Where for example I was not paid for 6 months in salary or expenses on a 50KAED per month package you soon spend your savings and then some.

You get to a stage where if you end up in Jail due to bounced cheques and have to make decisions for you and your family. Like most Emirates my family’s welfare comes first and it would not help with Daddy being in the clink with my boyish good looks being put too good use. WTF-OMG

In regards the UK courts. We have had barristers and solicitors advice as a group. One chap paid £3200 for the defence and it went against him. The solicitor then said he can appeal and they will get a “more expensive” barrister than the £800 pound per day version he had at court.

Ramadan Kareem ;-0
Yep. Shit happens and this is just one more reason to live within your means in this place. I don't agree with the UAE policy of jailing debtors, but we were as far as I was aware talking about people who managed to escape and now want to avoid paying back their debts right?? To reiterate it is my opinion that if you managed to get out of the country it is your duty as a human being to do your best to repay the lender.

Sounds like the solicitors have discovered a cash cow. Obviously they will not fight too hard to kill it off. Shame the judges are blind to what is happening. Or are they perhaps of the same opinion as what I described above? Maybe they feel it isn't right to allow people off the hook...

Sorry. I know you started out saying you don't need to be told off and certainly it wasn't my intention to do so, but this type of scenario makes me feel conflicted..
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Norsk

Ramadan Kareem ;-0
You did the right thing. An unsecured loan should not be secured on your liberty.

That non-exclusive courts thing is very interesting... as it would suggest the claim could be heard elsewhere. My question when hearing the dispute in a different court what law is prevailing - is there anything that could be used to make it unenforceable under English law?

I would also add:
1) did you sign or initial the T&Cs?
2) did they already take you to court in the UAE and get a judgement? can you claim estoppel and/or res judicata?
3) have you told the daily mail?

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 7th 2015 at 3:42 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to deal with third party paper chasers (who buy poor quality debt for pennies on the dollar) is, quite simply, don't deal with them at all. Ignore their mail unanswered and don't talk to them, especially not on the telephone. As soon as you realise who they are simply say "Have a nice day" and hang up.
Every time you talk to these leeches you potentially restart the statute of limitations clock. And for certain you do if you send them even one red cent. Do not respond to anything less than a legal service of court action.
Don't say you are not paying, don't even say you have no comment, simply don't say anything to them at all.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
The best way to deal with third party paper chasers (who buy poor quality debt for pennies on the dollar) is, quite simply, don't deal with them at all. Ignore their mail unanswered and don't talk to them, especially not on the telephone. As soon as you realise who they are simply say "Have a nice day" and hang up.
Every time you talk to these leeches you potentially restart the statute of limitations clock. And for certain you do if you send them even one red cent. Do not respond to anything less than a legal service of court action.
Don't say you are not paying, don't even say you have no comment, simply don't say anything to them at all.
Correct
Old Jul 13th 2015, 12:00 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyrodger, these UAE banks cannot have it both ways.

The UAE is an absolute dictatorship. The guys who run the place owns most of the banks, they appoint the judges, there is no independent judiciary, there is no independent anything. They can write whatever the hell they like into contracts and enforce them via a one-sided judiciary in the UAE if they like.

But they cannot then claim jurisdiction in the UK when it suits them to chase people who left rather than face life imprisonment or having their hands chopped off. The contract, like any legal document in the UAE, is worthless bumpaper that would be laughed out of any court in the UK or any civilized country because

a) consumers are protected via 'unfair contract terms' acts, regulators, bankruptcy procedures and the fact that debts are civil matters, not criminal

b) any debt decision by a UAE court has no validity in the UK, not just because it is a foreign country, but because their legal system is basically a big arrow pointing at the Sheikh with 'what he said' written next to it. It's a mickey mouse system with no safeguards for consumers, no independence, run by people who got their jobs because they're chummy with the guy at the top, not because they have any valid qualifications, which is why legal decisions in the UAE have no consistency. As far as they're concerned, it's whatever the judge decides it is, none of them are bound by any rules or caselaw.

If a foreign bank can lend money via credit card to British people under such ridiculous terms, exclude themselves from unfair contract terms legislation and any UK financial regulator, then nail you in the UK courts when there is any debt without any UK law to protect you from the ridiculous terms, every credit card company in the UK would conduct their agreements under UAE law under these terms.

It's bullshit. Tell them to take a hike, if they want to visit this in a UK court, tell them you're going to challenge the terms under the same UK laws. And you're going to ask the court to make them put 100k GBP of assets under the court to ensure your costs and compensation when you win are covered.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Darren of Arabia is an unknown quantity at this point

Which company was not paying your salary should they not be the first people to approach 6 months of salary at AED 50k if retrieved would solve all your problems? Assume they are obliged to provide the original copy of the credit agreement and the T&Cs if they have a case at all against you!
Old Jul 18th 2015, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't a CCJ written off after about 6 years.
Then you have a clean record?
Old Jun 12th 2016, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

freb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi has anyone any update on this as I received an email today from CWD
Old Jun 13th 2016, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

CWD?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
CWD?
Coyle White Devine

Ambulance chasing "debt collectors" based in Amersham.

Here

Here
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Coyle White Devine

Ambulance chasing "debt collectors" based in Amersham.

Here

Here
ah I see - thanks.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freb
Hi has anyone any update on this as I received an email today from CWD
Tell them to go and jump
Old Jun 16th 2016, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you taken legal advice ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.