Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE Cultural awareness course

UAE Cultural awareness course

Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE Cultural awareness course

It's Abo Zaby
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:43 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

A new middle east crisis erupted last night as Dubai Television was refused permission to broadcast 'The Flintstones'.
A spokesman for the channel said....
'A claim was made that people in Dubai would not understand the humour, but we have heard that people in - Abu Dhabi Do.'

I'll get my coat :-)
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:10 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Any chance they do a course on getting monolingual anglophones to stop mangling basic Arabic place-names. Where the f*** is Abu Derby? Or Abboo Dabby? Or the worst of the worst of the worst: the bloody "maddy-gnat" which even seems to have taken hold in some radio commercials. Madina is the Arabic for city. You stick a "t" on the end as the convention when it precedes another word e.g. Madinat Zayed, Madinat Qaboos etc. But it basically sounds the same. Calling the souq Madinat Jumeirah "the maddy-gnat" is like referring to Covent Garden Market as "the marquee". It just sounds ludicrous!

Think how snarky English people get about daft pronunciations like Shrewsbury, Derby, Greenwich and the like. Now think if people came and lived in those places and couldn't be bothered to learn how to say them broberly, er, properly??? Not bloody acceptable!

Rant over....
Don't care about AD as have heard every variation under the sun from every nationality but mad in at drives me nuts
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:13 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Actually what drives me nuts is when I say ill meet someone at the madinat and they say where forcing me to eventually concede and say mad in at
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
Actually what drives me nuts is when I say ill meet someone at the madinat and they say where forcing me to eventually concede and say mad in at
I like the radio adverts... 'A bottle of Russia's finest down at the mad-in-at'
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The curious question is why there is even a 't' at the end of madinat given that madina/t is merely the English pronunciation of an Arabic word. If the 't' is always to be silent then what was the point of adding it to the English spelling? In the Latin alphabet?

So I can't criticise people for saying Mah-dee-naht when they simply don't know they're technically not supposed to.

As for AD, I always liked Ab Dhabs....

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
Or the worst of the worst of the worst: the bloody "maddy-gnat" which even seems to have taken hold in some radio commercials. Madina is the Arabic for city. You stick a "t" on the end as the convention when it precedes another word e.g. Madinat Zayed, Madinat Qaboos etc. But it basically sounds the same. Calling the souq Madinat Jumeirah "the maddy-gnat" is like referring to Covent Garden Market as "the marquee". It just sounds ludicrous!
Old Mar 11th 2012, 12:09 pm

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ethos83
So I can't criticise people for saying Mah-dee-naht when they simply don't know they're technically not supposed to.
Ma-DEE-naht is ok - as long as the emphasis is the same as when you say Madina. The t is supposed to softly elide into the other word. MADDY-naht is just wrong and what seems to be commonly used among British expats here, alas. But it's not just the mispronunciation that makes it sound so ridiculous. When the name of the place, Souq Madinat Jumeirah, translates as Jumeirah city market, it seems perverse (or just ignorant) to choose the word city to specify the place.

Anyway, the English spelling is just a best effort to transliterate not just a different language but a different alphabet with very different phonemes. People moaning, as they often do, about the different spellings of the same places here just illustrates their failure to grasp this fairly fundamental aspect of the language of our host region. Very few of us expats here bother to learn Arabic, understandably, since we are constantly reminded that we are but temporary interlopers. But a little curiosity would be appropriate to avoid complete twattishness.

I'm just saying...

Last edited by Miss Anne Thrope; Mar 11th 2012 at 12:15 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 2:20 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's Abo Zaby
wrong its called Aboo Zaaaby.

I will now proceed on a hectoring lecture on why you are a cultural philistine for not knowing this....begin hectoring....rah rah rah bladdy rah rah....ancient culture...typical tourists..rah rah .../ hectoring
Old Mar 11th 2012, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
wrong its called Aboo Zaaaby.

I will now proceed on a hectoring lecture on why you are a cultural philistine for not knowing this....begin hectoring....rah rah rah bladdy rah rah....ancient culture...typical tourists..rah rah .../ hectoring
don't blame me, blame my alphabet and lack of sounds.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
The curious question is why there is even a 't' at the end of madinat given that madina/t is merely the English pronunciation of an Arabic word. If the 't' is always to be silent then what was the point of adding it to the English spelling? In the Latin alphabet?

As for AD, I always liked Ab Dhabs....
or, for those unaware of the Hidey-holes and pleasure centres, Screamin' Ab Dhabs.....