British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UAE Consumer Rights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uae-consumer-rights-876500/)

Brains1983 Apr 26th 2016 5:10 am

UAE Consumer Rights

Morning Bored!

I think I know the answer to this one, but here we go anyway...

Bought a TV October 2014 from LuLu. Came with a one year retailer/manufacturer warranty. The display has started playing up as of last week. Lulu told me to talk to the manufacturer, which I have and they have collected the TV for inspection (costs incurred thusfar, 125.00 AED). They've given me a quote for 2,200.00 AED for repair.

If push comes to shove, then I'll pay it as I spent a chunk of cash buying the TV in the first place, however it's pretty shitty that the TV is barely 18months old and requires a repair.

Has anyone had any luck in scenario like this reminding them about the consumer rights and getting a repair/replacement for free? The first line "Goods must meet a level of quality and performance that would be reasonable to expect, given their price and specifications"?

It's tough to accept a TV is only expected to last 18months before requiring repair...

B

jam25mack Apr 26th 2016 5:37 am

Re: UAE Consumer Rights

Did you pay by credit card? Visa and Mastercard have insurance for something that most people forget.

Other than that I don't think it looks too good for you unfortunately.

Saying that I have seen quite a few of those 'know your rights' stickers about which refer to consumer rights so it maybe worth a check (google) and then go in and quote some lines to them. Often they fob you off the first time thinking you will get bored of fighting and give up.

TheShed Apr 26th 2016 5:57 am

I'd agree with Jam2Smack and give it a couple of goes but in my experience retailers here are quite awful when it comes to out of warranty repairs.

Unfortunately these days, consumer electronics have got so cheap that they are virtually throw away devices and as such cost almost as much to fix as a replacement is to buy outright.

Let us know how you get on though because if the retailer/distributor does stand up for it, they would certainly be added to my preferred supplier list.

Millhouse Apr 26th 2016 6:04 am

i'm confused. It's out of warranty.

Was it an LG by any chance? I've never had anything made by LG last more than 18mths. All shite.

TheShed Apr 26th 2016 6:22 am

Thats actually a fair point MH. Virtually all of my TVs, Fridges etc are Samsung and never had one fail yet (touch wood).

Brains1983 Apr 26th 2016 6:51 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 11932174)
Did you pay by credit card? Visa and Mastercard have insurance for something that most people forget.

Paid with my HSBC Mastercard. They have a 90 day purchase protection. It's the HSBC Visa that has the extended warranty :(

Brains1983 Apr 26th 2016 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11932180)
i'm confused. It's out of warranty. Yes, it's out of warranty, however regardless of whether the warranty is 5 months or 5 years, there is supposed to be an element of the item being fit for purpose when originally sold. Had I purchased the same product in the UK, then the retailer/manufacturer would not have been able to hide behind a 1 year limitation on the warranty if the goods were not fit for purpose when originally sold. Was, rather ambitiously I admit, hoping for something similar here.

Was it an LG by any chance? I've never had anything made by LG last more than 18mths. All shite.
Yes, it is. :rofl:

Sort of expecting to have to pay it, but thought I'd throw it out there!

Millhouse Apr 26th 2016 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11932205)
Sort of expecting to have to pay it, but thought I'd throw it out there!

when it was sold though it was fit for purpose, no? It was working, showed all the channels etc. and lasted 50% longer than the warranty. I still think you'd struggle to claim on this one even in blighty.

I highly recommend souq if you do get a new one.

Bahtatboy Apr 26th 2016 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11932211)
when it was sold though it was fit for purpose, no? It was working, showed all the channels etc. and lasted 50% longer than the warranty. I still think you'd struggle to claim on this one even in blighty...

Unless from Costco or John Lewis. Putting up with shite customer service is all part and parcel of living in the third world*, and partly why you're paid a premium to live and work there.

* No, that doesn't include Yorkshire.

Irishbeekeeper Apr 26th 2016 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11932211)
I highly recommend souq if you do get a new one.

I wont. Bad bad experience with them every time I tried them. Just a week ago I decided to order a Dell XPS 15 i7 which no one had but it was showing as 2 qty available on their site. I took the time out to ask them bluntly that 'DO YOU HAVE IT IN STOCK?" answer yes sir and 2 days delivery sirrrrrr.
After the order was processed, sir sorry sir 5 days delivery and after 7 days, sir sorry sir, order canceled sir, no stock sirrrrr.

The thing is, if souq itself is selling it then maybe you are in safer waters, but if it is being sold by Mr. xyz sitting in sandy dunes AlAin then he is just spending the whole day giving himself reviews and boosting his shop upwards in the ranking.

Btw brains, how large is that LG? I have a fairly decent TV repair guy down the street for me

quiltman Apr 26th 2016 9:37 am

I take your point about it only being 18 months but you knew the warranty was only for 12 months so I think you'll have to bite the bullet. A year and a week and I would be having an arguement with the supplier.It's quite common for UK/European warranties to be longer than in most other countries.
Before we moved here we bought a Panasonic TV from John Lewis. It came with a 2 year warranty but JL extended it to 5 years. Up to 2years it would be replaced, after that it would be repaired. God only knows I wish we had the same service here!
As an aside our LG washer has worked perfectly for nearly 5 years - it supposedly has a 10 year warranty on the motor, but here in the Philippines you don't even waste your breath getting things fixed under a so called warranty! Everything is plugged in and shown working before you leave the store and unless it fails within the first few days it is nigh on impossible to get it sorted. TBF some stores are not bad but always want to repair not replace. trouble is it can take literally months to get spare parts.
I needed a new sensor for our Samsung Fridge/freezer so got onto Samsung here, gave them the part number and asked how soon they could deliver. "Have to order from Manila sir", Ok "how long" , "Maybe 6 weeks" - that's from 400KM away. They checked did not get back when they said and when I chased said "No stock sir, special order, maybe 4 months"
Ordered online from UK and was here, installed and working in 5 days!

Brains1983 Apr 26th 2016 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 11932333)
Btw brains, how large is that LG? I have a fairly decent TV repair guy down the street for me

It's a 70" mate. The display randomly turns off when we're using it, but the sound stays on :blink:

Brains1983 Apr 26th 2016 9:51 am

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 11932349)
I take your point about it only being 18 months but you knew the warranty was only for 12 months so I think you'll have to bite the bullet. A year and a week and I would be having an arguement with the supplier.It's quite common for UK/European warranties to be longer than in most other countries.

This is where is is different in the UK, and I assume wider Europe. I wouldn't matter if the retailers warranty was only a year as your consumer rights would overrule any limited warranty issues. You'd have an arguable case that a TV developing a fault within 18 months conflicts with your right for the product fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

All moot points though, as this isn't UK or Europe. It's the UAE :unsure:

Anyhoo, fired off an email to their head office referencing consumer rights and all that malarky, so will see what comes back!

Bahtatboy Apr 26th 2016 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11932352)
It's a 70" mate. The display randomly turns off when we're using it, but the sound stays on :blink:

Have you tried switching if off and on again?

Or thumping the side?

And don't dismiss the man-down-the-road idea. A couple of months ago one of our TVs at home (UK) stopped working, took it to a man down the road who replaced some widgit for £30.

Inselaffen Apr 26th 2016 11:38 am

Consumer rights, good one. A colleague bought an Audi A1 from a used car dealer. When he took it to Audi for a minor repair he found out it had been a write-off and had been clocked (a lot). He tried to use consumer rights regulations but was basically told to forget it.