Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UAE citizens petition for direct elections and legislative power

UAE citizens petition for direct elections and legislative power

Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:04 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default UAE citizens petition for direct elections and legislative power

Here's the article folks:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/...ml?iphoneemail

And it closes by saying:

"Despite widespread political unrest across the Middle East and North Africa, there have been no protests in the U.A.E. Demonstrations aren't technically illegal, but police never grant permits for them."

Guess this was pretty much the same in Oman (Sohar, Salalah) huh?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:05 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE citizens petition for direct elections and legislative power

Sorry guys, double posted ...
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:37 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great photo to go alongside the article. "Whhhaaatt?!! You're pulling my plonker!"
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as expats are the overwhelming majority I wouldn't want to grant nationals any more rights and especially not direct elections.

Could turn nasty for many expats.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:52 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
As long as expats are the overwhelming majority I wouldn't want to grant nationals any more rights and especially not direct elections.

Indeed. Whilst there are many reasonable and informed locals there is also a vein of very xenophobic and undereducated people who are probably a majority so giving them more rights won't do the country any favours.

Some countries are just not ready for democracy - they should play the same game China is...get everyone richer, far better educated and then slowly increase their rights.

Anyone noticed the only major state in the Middle East where citizens haven't been asking for more rights and less corruption is Israel?

N.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:19 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Anyone noticed the only major state in the Middle East where citizens haven't been asking for more rights and less corruption is Israel?

N.
I think they're a bit preoccupied.

BTW, China currently has 300 million of its citizens learning English, and 50 million at university (don't know how many of those abroad, but they've virtually filled some of the top courses at some of the best universities in London). Not sure whether that's going to result merely in a reinforcement of the old regime (a very thin crust at the top of society with all the money, and virtually everyone below on a more-or-less even footing, giving way to, say, 5% at the top and everyone else scrabling about for the scraps), or a wider distribution of wealth. FWIW, I hear that over 50% of BMW's production last year was sold in China.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:23 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The growth of China has been explosive.

But in all this we still need to remember that whilst China now has as many as 200-300 million people moving into what we can call middle class or upper class status, that still leaves about a billion people living in poverty.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

BTW, China currently has 300 million of its citizens learning English, and 50 million at university (don't know how many of those abroad, but they've virtually filled some of the top courses at some of the best universities in London). Not sure whether that's going to result merely in a reinforcement of the old regime (a very thin crust at the top of society with all the money, and virtually everyone below on a more-or-less even footing, giving way to, say, 5% at the top and everyone else scrabling about for the scraps), or a wider distribution of wealth. FWIW, I hear that over 50% of BMW's production last year was sold in China.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:23 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I think they're a bit preoccupied..
With what, their next round of Nobel prizes and most patents filed per capita? Or perhaps just overachievement in general in the face of a hostile world neighbourhood?

I only got back from China three weeks ago. There are two schools of thought even at the official level . 1) reinforce the old guard and keep things as they are (which in reality isn't as bad as we think - China has far more stability and less corruption than India - and fewer hungry people). 2) slowly and surely reform and give more freedom according to prosperity and living standard increases. I’m more inclined to go along with option two as the last 30 years have shown this is already happening (emphasis on slowly!). China’s never been democratic over its 5000 years of history – it won’t happen overnight, and definitely not at the pace or in the form the US wants it to.

My view is most Chinese just want a better standard of life for themselves and their family – and many are getting it. They seem eager to show the world they are capable of so much more…which they are. They are generally more hardworking and supportive of their national identity than we have been for decades...ironically they look up to many things in our culture we barely practice anymore like formal dress, old fashioned manners and the like.

N.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:18 am
Hit 16's

I only got back from China three weeks ago. There are two schools of thought even at the official level . 1) reinforce the old guard and keep things as they are (which in reality isn't as bad as we think - China has far more stability and less corruption than India - and fewer hungry people). 2) slowly and surely reform and give more freedom according to prosperity and living standard increases. I’m more inclined to go along with option two as the last 30 years have shown this is already happening (emphasis on slowly!). China’s never been democratic over its 5000 years of history – it won’t happen overnight, and definitely not at the pace or in the form the US wants it to.

My view is most Chinese just want a better standard of life for themselves and their family – and many are getting it. They seem eager to show the world they are capable of so much more…which they are. They are generally more hardworking and supportive of their national identity than we have been for decades...ironically they look up to many things in our culture we barely practice anymore like formal dress, old fashioned manners and the like.

N.
I'm pretty much with you there. Their reputation for pragmatism is well-founded, especially considering the shackles of communism they're shaking off. I was about to write "Who needs democracy anyway?", but actually my fear is centred on unbridled economic growth, such as happened in Japan post-war: despite Anzen Daiichi (Safety First) written everywhere in Japan they actually only pay lip service to it, and, because of its size, China has the opportunity to pollute to a far greater extent than Japan did. Those two elements are key to true economic success (and the latter to the survival of the planet), and there are only two ways to achieve them in China: a true democractic process, or a real hard line from the West along the lines of trade embargoes unless they clean up their act. Sadly, I can't see either happening.

And as to their attitude--those with whom I've had dealing (my company has two factories there) are hard working, inventive and loyal, on top of those characteristics you describe. They will be unstoppable.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. Whilst there are many reasonable and informed locals there is also a vein of very xenophobic and undereducated people who are probably a majority so giving them more rights won't do the country any favours.

Some countries are just not ready for democracy - they should play the same game China is...get everyone richer, far better educated and then slowly increase their rights.

N.
Palestine has been asking for less Israeli corruption.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

UK PM 81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Indeed, preoccupied in devising strategies on how to topple Iran and their Nuclear Programme. Before moving onto others.

As stated above.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:30 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by UK PM 81
As stated above.
And into my mind pops the track from the original Italian Job: The Self Preservation Society.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

And if it does turn nasty for the expats, who is going to provide technological know how and do all the heavy lifting?

While the locals might not want to admit it, they must know in the back of their minds that without expats they would lose much of their quality of life so let them have their increased freedom and say. So I say let them have increased freedom and say.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:41 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

So, for the sake of argument, let's say that each and every expat got on a plane and left the UAE tomorrow (and I mean each and every expat in whatever job they held) what would happen if the UAE was to be run/managed/catered to/driven by/taught by/ BUILT by/etc etc etc Emiratis?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:49 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that they think as little about you as you about them. Really I think that your attitude is moronic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.