British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   UAE Banking or Offshore?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/uae-banking-offshore-268496/)

Radar35 Nov 24th 2004 5:26 pm

UAE Banking or Offshore??

Hi all,

Can anyone advise me whether to bank in UAE or to go off shore? I will have wages paid into UAE bank but have commitments in UK too so will need to transfer money monhtly.

What other outgoings can I expect in UAE apart from living expenses, when Accommodation is covered by employer?

Thanks all,

Cheers :)

Truth Speak Nov 25th 2004 1:48 am

Re: UAE Banking or Offshore??

Originally Posted by Radar35
Hi all,

Can anyone advise me whether to bank in UAE or to go off shore? I will have wages paid into UAE bank but have commitments in UK too so will need to transfer money monhtly.

What other outgoings can I expect in UAE apart from living expenses, when Accommodation is covered by employer?

Thanks all,

Cheers :)

Morning radar -

Its actually cheaper to have the money paid to the UK and transfer it back - but that buggers you if u want the clout for a mortgage as the bank here won't see ur full wages.

Wouldn't bother with offshore - theres no extradition treaty with UAE so the UK tax man shouldn't be able to get at anything.

Cots of living:

Municipality tax - 5% of yr rent
Water and electric can be horrific in the summer - Face can help u there - apartments with AC supplied and no garden are the cheapest.
Alcohol - not cheap and if u like a few they'll cost u.

Local phone is free by landline and mobile isn't too bad. Sat TV will set u back 20-50 quid a month and if u want internet broadband will cost 40 quid a month.

Medical insurance is a must - if your employers don't provide this it will cost a pretty packet

Schooling - up to 50K AED a year!! if u have kids that is

Cars and petrol are cheap.

Clothes r a bit upon the UK - not alot though and if u are strapped everything in karama is cheap - ask JC

Cheers
TS

Jammy_Dodgers Nov 25th 2004 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Clothes r a bit upon the UK - not alot though and if u are strapped everything in karama is cheap - ask JC

Cheers
TS

Meeeeow!!! :D

Truth Speak Nov 25th 2004 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Meeeeow!!! :D

LOL - no - JC took Kristy handbag shopping - they are almost real - would pass muster with most!!

Jammy_Dodgers Nov 25th 2004 2:26 am

LOL - no - JC took Kristy handbag shopping - they are almost real - would pass muster with most!!

Cool, I could do with some more Louis Vitton !!!!!

Truth Speak Nov 25th 2004 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Cool, I could do with some more Louis Vitton !!!!!

Kristy could probably lend u one!!

kristy Nov 25th 2004 10:06 am

Kristy could probably lend u one!!

Get your own! I'm very attached to my handbags. :)

Truth Speak Nov 25th 2004 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by kristy
Get your own! I'm very attached to my handbags. :)

Hi K..... u'r very quiet these days...everything Ok?