Reload this Page >

UAE - Abu Dhabi - security clearance - British national

UAE - Abu Dhabi - security clearance - British national

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 11:47 pm
hsh
Just Joined

hsh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UAE - Abu Dhabi - security clearance - British national

I have read quite a lot on the forums but I also wanted some help to shed some light on my situation.
I had a 2 long interviews with a governmental company in AD.
I accepted the offer end of October 2015 and I submitted all relevant documents as requested; passport copy, passport size pic, degree attested, the employment form filled and signed, referees of last two employments....my references were submitted by early November 2015 and HR informed me they have submitted for my work approval from the authorities - work approval is this the same as security clearance. How long does work approval take to receive? Is it normal waiting for nearly 3 months now?
Once clearance is approved they will then issue my entry permit and send that and flight ticket via email.
Up to now I still have not received any information about my security clearance. I have just been informed numerous times my application is in process.
It is now approaching 3 months - but as there were loads of holidays (national holiday, Xmas and new years) to put into consideration - technically it's been approx 9 weeks in process.
I have read things that are horrifying and how long it has taken others to get the clearance approved and some within weeks.
Can anyone please shed some light - as now I am getting very anxious and frustrated with the waiting game.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by hsh; Jan 23rd 2016 at 12:47 am. Reason: adding a few more information
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE - Abu Dhabi - security clearance - British national

For me, interview to offer was nearly 3 months and then another 3 months before security clearance and the entry visa was issued. A recent new guy had the process completed in 4 months.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The time taken to do the security check is directly proportion to the amount of melanin in your body.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 8:45 pm
hsh
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pongo
For me, interview to offer was nearly 3 months and then another 3 months before security clearance and the entry visa was issued. A recent new guy had the process completed in 4 months.
Hi thank you for your response pongo and information provided. Are you British? And I'm calculating it's approx 6 months for you to get out. You working for a government company or private?
My interviews till offer given took one week. And my references were handed in first week November - since then my paperwork for work approval has been submitted and still in process. If it was a rejection I'm sure I would have heard of it by now, right?

Last edited by hsh; Jan 23rd 2016 at 9:03 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 9:02 pm
hsh
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The time taken to do the security check is directly proportion to the amount of melanin in your body.
Hahaha millhouse you made me laugh and with everything I have read it makes sense what you said.
Are you working in UAE? And if you are working out there how long did it take for you to get out there? Also I know it depends if you had to go through security clearance or not.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hsh
Hi thank you for your response pongo and information provided. Are you British? And I'm calculating it's approx 6 months for you to get out. You working for a government company or private?
My interviews till offer given took one week. And my references were handed in first week November - since then my paperwork for work approval has been submitted and still in process. If it was a rejection I'm sure I would have heard of it by now, right?
Yep, I'm British and work for a government company. I also moved within the country and had a previous security clearance which didn't appear to carry any weight.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to say when the checks to provide the security clearance actually start. Second interview to offer letter was a fortnight, including getting references and attestations sorted. Offer & acceptance to getting off the plane was another 6 weeks. Some of that 6 weeks was Ramadan though, which either slows things down or speeds things up, depending. British, white, a gentleman and a scallop, plus blue eyes can't hurt either, yani.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 12:06 pm
hsh
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pongo
Yep, I'm British and work for a government company. I also moved within the country and had a previous security clearance which didn't appear to carry any weight.
Thank you for your reply. It helps to read different experiences but of course it varies from person to person. Can't really put a time frame.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 12:10 pm
hsh
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Standanista
It's hard to say when the checks to provide the security clearance actually start. Second interview to offer letter was a fortnight, including getting references and attestations sorted. Offer & acceptance to getting off the plane was another 6 weeks. Some of that 6 weeks was Ramadan though, which either slows things down or speeds things up, depending. British, white, a gentleman and a scallop, plus blue eyes can't hurt either, yani.
Your waiting time was not bad at all and especially it all happened during Ramadan also. The delay was not bad at all.
Well if I include the holidays since all of the documents from my side were handed in - it is now coming up to 3 months on first week of February.
This waiting is killing me and I feel like I am in limbo and don't know what to do with my life.
I just hope it doesn't take much longer as I'm becoming very frustrated and anxious.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hsh
Thank you for your reply. It helps to read different experiences but of course it varies from person to person. Can't really put a time frame.
Are you sure the job still exists? AD Gov. are cutting expats faster than a drug cartel cuts the rainforest in Brazil. A lot has changed since Oct.

Oh, and personally - I would avoid taking a government job at this given time. I've seen new expats fired within three months of recruitment due to a change in strategy in AD. Now isn't the time.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 12:15 pm
hsh
Just Joined

Are you sure the job still exists? AD Gov. are cutting expats faster than a drug cartel cuts the rainforest in Brazil. A lot has changed since Oct.

Oh, and personally - I would avoid taking a government job at this given time. I've seen new expats fired within three months of recruitment due to a change in strategy in AD. Now isn't the time.
I was head hunted by the company - and to my knowledge as of two weeks ago my paperwork was still in progress. I will be contacting HR some time this week to touch base.
If the role no longer exists I would appreciate the company to inform me on that so I could look else where. Till this present day I have no further updates.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hsh
Your waiting time was not bad at all and especially it all happened during Ramadan also. The delay was not bad at all.
Well if I include the holidays since all of the documents from my side were handed in - it is now coming up to 3 months on first week of February.
This waiting is killing me and I feel like I am in limbo and don't know what to do with my life.
I just hope it doesn't take much longer as I'm becoming very frustrated and anxious.
Unfortunately that's the way it often pans out here, even when the economy is booming. My limited experience of waiting to hear on other roles in these parts (about half a dozen) is that you wait for months then end up disappointed, or they just fade away and you don't hear. We've all struck lucky at least once as well though, otherwise we wouldn't be working here. Lots of tightening of purse strings in the region though at the minute, as Millhouse says. I would go Plan B, definitely not bank on this AD one, and if it then still happens, great.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 10:22 am
hsh
Just Joined

Thank you for your response. I guess for the time being I will keep my options opened and if it happens then great - I have heard how AD are very slow compared to DXB and AD are strict when it comes to SC.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 5:53 pm
hsh
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Standanista
Unfortunately that's the way it often pans out here, even when the economy is booming. My limited experience of waiting to hear on other roles in these parts (about half a dozen) is that you wait for months then end up disappointed, or they just fade away and you don't hear. We've all struck lucky at least once as well though, otherwise we wouldn't be working here. Lots of tightening of purse strings in the region though at the minute, as Millhouse says. I would go Plan B, definitely not bank on this AD one, and if it then still happens, great.
Thank you for your response.
Iv heard many things and yeah it's pot luck to be honest - could be lucky or just need to keep trying. It sucks big time! The excitement and thrill in relocating has just disappeared and the waiting time is an absolute killer - and the light at the end of the tunnel is now completely dim. Grrrrrr.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 8:54 pm
hsh
Just Joined

Thank you all for your input and replies - it is much appreciated.

Just a note - my passport validity was under 6 months and I am aware I need to have minimum 6 months on it to process visa if and when I receive the work approval - after new year I did get in touch with HR and informed them about my passport validity - surely if the job no longer existed and if they didn't want me anymore they would have said it then and there - they advised me to renew it and esp whilst waiting for the approval to come through.
My passport was renewed on same day and I sent over my new passport copy over the HR the following day - they confirmed they received the copy and they also informed me my new passport will be used for the entry permit once work approval comes through.

They also told me as I asked the question would my application be delayed further as my old passport copy was used and now il have a new one. They advised they would not re-do my application and my application submitted is the one used and still in process.

Can anyone inform me if what HR informed me is true or will my application be resubmitted with my new passport copy?

Furthermore does anyone know if new information provided to HR do they send it straight to the authorities and immigration and once my file is updated will my file then be placed at the bottom of the list or remain where it is sitting at that point? (I know this question may be not he answered).

Thank you again all and I look forward to hearing your responses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.