Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

U.A.E. Tightens Press Rules Amid Financial Downturn

U.A.E. Tightens Press Rules Amid Financial Downturn

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default U.A.E. Tightens Press Rules Amid Financial Downturn

DUBAI -- The government of the United Arab Emirates is tightening its media laws amid a slew of negative headlines about the country's economy and corporate scandals in Dubai.

The Persian Gulf state's Federal National Council passed the draft of a new media law Tuesday, replacing the 28-year-old Publications Law. The draft was first presented over a year ago. It now needs to be approved by the cabinet and U.A.E. President Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

The law threatens to fine anyone who knowingly publishes information that damages the U.A.E.'s reputation or harms its economy. Potential fines range from 50,000 U.A.E. dirhams ($13,600) for minor violations to
as much as one million dirhams for criticizing the ruling family.

While the proposed law protects journalists from imprisonment for carrying out their duties, the government plans to fine journalists up to 200,000 dirhams if they name suspects under investigation in the emirate, according to the draft.

The law follows a slowdown in the country's economy and corporate scandals involving top executives in banks and real-estate companies in Dubai.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123257117439403499.html
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: U.A.E. Tightens Press Rules Amid Financial Downturn

oh dear...ostrich, head and sand...

MM, xx
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
oh dear...ostrich, head and sand...

MM, xx
lol - by the same token do you think Alabaar would qualify for a fine of AED 2 million with his outrageous views?

Dubai ‘09 property demand to outweigh supply – report: http://www.arabianbusiness.com/54442...-supply--paper
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:05 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndieG
The law threatens to fine anyone who knowingly publishes information that damages the U.A.E.'s reputation or harms its economy. Potential fines range from 50,000 U.A.E. dirhams ($13,600) for minor violations to
as much as one million dirhams for criticizing the ruling family.
Could that possibly affect us here? The reason I ask is that hundreds of posts were deleted by so-called moderators on a web forum my hubby frequently uses, the reason being the alleged risk of libel action.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

No idea - Shadya.

Wonder if this law would require a moderator to delete any thread that mentions Dubai, property and fall in a single sentence..... They would need mods working 24x7 then
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:04 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
Could that possibly affect us here? The reason I ask is that hundreds of posts were deleted by so-called moderators on a web forum my hubby frequently uses, the reason being the alleged risk of libel action.
No idea...I'd keep away from saying anything about the government in this forum though just to be sure.

Am off now to read 1984 again and watch Triumph of the Will....

N.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

I love the UAE Government

I think they are the bees knees
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by admon
I love the UAE Government

I think they are the bees knees
errrrr, just to clarify, the govt. will fine you if you criticize them but won't pay you if you praise them...

Last edited by IndieG; Jan 23rd 2009 at 7:26 am. Reason: Smilie added just in case...
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

errrrr, just to clarify, the govt. will fine you if you criticize them but won't pay you if you praise them...
just to clarify the point, I love the UAE government
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

'The law threatens to fine anyone who knowingly publishes information that damages the U.A.E.'s reputation or harms its economy'.

Coming back down to earth, the problem with such sweeping statements, if used as law, is that almost any reporting on events in the UAE that state that anything is reducing in value could be said to be either/or/both harming the reputation and economy.

While the media law is long overdue for a revamp and lots of people have been waiting for the new one, I hope that it is a step forward in the liberation of free press and not a step sideways.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I think the current BOOM in UAE property prices is a GOOD thing for the country, as it will give would-be investors MORE encouragement to invest their own money there.

It is difficult to imagine property prices will ever stop RISING, and the reputation of Dubai, and prospects for residents, businesses and tourists have never been HIGHER than they are today.

We can all look ahead with OPTIMISM to a BRIGHT future for Dubai.

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

just to clarify the point, I love the UAE government
Aaaah ok, in that case you should have used instead of
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Dean
I think the current BOOM in UAE property prices is a GOOD thing for the country, as it will give would-be investors MORE encouragement to invest their own money there.

It is difficult to imagine property prices will ever stop RISING, and the reputation of Dubai, and prospects for residents, businesses and tourists have never been HIGHER than they are today.

We can all look ahead with OPTIMISM to a BRIGHT future for Dubai.

ok by decree 01/3647/2009, you are hereby appointed Director of PR & Media Relations in Dubai Hype LLC
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Aaaah ok, in that case you should have used instead of
Ive already been accused of being 'a bit gay' for a comment I made earlier this week.

a wub would have sealed my fate for sure..
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Ive already been accused of being 'a bit gay' for a comment I made earlier this week.

a wub would have sealed my fate for sure..
lol...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.