Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tyre tread depth for car registration test?

Tyre tread depth for car registration test?

Old May 30th 2010, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Bungdit Din is on a distinguished road
Default Tyre tread depth for car registration test?

hi, anyone know what the minimum tread depth is for a tyre to pass the registration test? Want to find out if I need to buy 2 new tyres before I reregister or if I can wait another month
Old May 30th 2010, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

azeds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tyre tread depth for car registration test?

Depends, what sort of car do you have?

Last edited by azeds; May 30th 2010 at 5:38 pm.
Old May 30th 2010, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

azeds is an unknown quantity at this point

Wouldn't let me edit my post for some reason, so sorry for double posting but heres my best answer.

The UAE law for Car Tyres is that you must change your tyres once every 4 years.

Depending on the type of car you have, how old it is and what sort of Tyres your kickin it with, depends on how 'safe' they are, i recommend not letting your tyres go below 75% of thread, this will ultimately save you from f'ing up your car, loosing control or wasting excessive petrol.

So unless your Tyres are looking like racing slicks, i think you will be fine, but to be sure go with what i said above, and if there below 75% thread, get some new ones.

hope i helped
Old May 30th 2010, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

with the summer now upon us, if you think you need to change the tyres i would, the last thing you want is a blow out on the wacky races, for the sake of the price of wheels. 4 years... ha ha who wrote that, on all our cars they have never lasted "that" long, always better to be safe than sorry, but if you want to try your luck then for the sake of a re-test that will be cheaper than 2 new tyres, and quite often they will just tell you to get new ones and still pass you.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 6:07 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of the regulations, the ONLY thing between the road and 2 tonnes / $40k (or whatever) of car are your tyres. Never, ever scrimp on tyres, and always make sure they're in good condition. The sun and heat cause damage here much more quickly than in more moderate climes--I wouldn't want to trust my and my family's safety in a car with tyres much more than 2 or 3 years old.

Having said that, slicks are what you want! The only time you need tread is when its raining--if you can avoid driving then, tyres with no tread will give you much better grip in the dry.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:53 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by azeds
Wouldn't let me edit my post for some reason, so sorry for double posting but heres my best answer.

The UAE law for Car Tyres is that you must change your tyres once every 4 years.

Depending on the type of car you have, how old it is and what sort of Tyres your kickin it with, depends on how 'safe' they are, i recommend not letting your tyres go below 75% of thread, this will ultimately save you from f'ing up your car, loosing control or wasting excessive petrol.

So unless your Tyres are looking like racing slicks, i think you will be fine, but to be sure go with what i said above, and if there below 75% thread, get some new ones.

hope i helped
Over my 4 years here I only drove about 15K. Last registration I had to replace 3 tyres (4 yrs old) with heaps of tread left. Suppose the tyres are in in India or Pakistan on someone else's vehicle.