Reload this Page >

Type of Accomodation in Dubai

Type of Accomodation in Dubai

Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:34 am
Just Joined

byronlindi is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Type of Accomodation in Dubai

Hi All,

Have to say I've found the site very useful, very good discussions and thanks to all the helpful people out there.

With regard to accomodation in Dubai, how does it compare to the UK. From what I've learned accomodation is very expensive (is this correct ?). I realise the type of accomodation will be determined by the job you get, and also if your company will pay for it or not. Is it the norm that most expats will live in a apartment when first moving to Dubai OR can you afford houses (think you call it villas ?). Any info regarding housing and how you've experienced this will help.

Again thanks for the chats and I'm looking forward to your replies.

Byronlindi
Old Aug 9th 2004, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Type of Accomodation in Dubai

Originally Posted by byronlindi
Hi All,

Have to say I've found the site very useful, very good discussions and thanks to all the helpful people out there.

With regard to accomodation in Dubai, how does it compare to the UK. From what I've learned accomodation is very expensive (is this correct ?). I realise the type of accomodation will be determined by the job you get, and also if your company will pay for it or not. Is it the norm that most expats will live in a apartment when first moving to Dubai OR can you afford houses (think you call it villas ?). Any info regarding housing and how you've experienced this will help.

Again thanks for the chats and I'm looking forward to your replies.

Byronlindi
Yep - accomodation is Dubai is pretty expensive. However, most expat packages cover housing. With regard to the type of accomodation it is partly to do with how much you are willign to pay and also partly to do with where you want to live. For exapmple - DHS55,000 pa will get you a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Bur Dubai (with swimming pool, gym, sauna etc in the building), or it will get you a small 2 bedroom villa in Mirdif on a compound with a shared pool, or alternatively a small villa in the Springs.
Bur Dubai is quite a busy area with many ammenities, however it tends to have bad traffic, and some parts are know for "ladies of the night", although it is still relatively popular with younger expats. The Springs/Meadows/Greens/Lakes/Hills etc are all purpose built housing complexes. You can search for the on the internet - the building company is Emaar.
However, rental prices are increasing in most areas in Dubai. For example in Mirdif - which is by the airport (relatively few ammenities, can have problems with plane noise, far from beach clubs etc) this amount would have got you a nice 2/3 bedroom villa with shared pool etc about 1 year ago.
Depending on the company you will get an allowance that should allow you to get a villa.
Hope this is of some help.