Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tying up loose ends

Tying up loose ends

Old Sep 25th 2018, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

mrkjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tying up loose ends

After a year's contract in UAE the "new" offer from my employer does not appeal so I will be likely saying goodbye to the region. For some background I am a UK based rotational consultant in the Oil Industry working under a 2 year work visa with residency. I also have a local driver's license, local medical insurance etc.

My principle concern is to ensure all my contract closures are done correctly as I will want the option to return to the region with another local contract. In Saudi in the dim and distant past I had to acquire a No Objection Certificate" from my then employer to move on. Is it similar in the UAE? How do I go about obtaining this. I have to give a month's notice which is no problem

I believe there is also something like a "Letter of Good Standing" which I will need. Can anybody help with how I get this?

What about separation? If I complete a full year or more do I get 2 weeks of my salary. Would this normally be a cash payment?

I'm trying to line up my ducks on these subjects as, although I have a local contract, I am effectively engaged through an international agency also so it gets a bit complex. For example, I get paid a nominal salary by my local "employer" which is then received off my day rate invoice from my international agency.

Finally, what about closing of Bank Accounts and Mobile Phone contracts. Are these separate issues or do they have ramifications along the line on my leaving my current "employer". I would be happy to keep my bank account open in the hope another contract comes along - but only if that would be lawful.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying up loose ends

Originally Posted by mrkjd
After a year's contract in UAE the "new" offer from my employer does not appeal so I will be likely saying goodbye to the region. For some background I am a UK based rotational consultant in the Oil Industry working under a 2 year work visa with residency. I also have a local driver's license, local medical insurance etc.

My principle concern is to ensure all my contract closures are done correctly as I will want the option to return to the region with another local contract. In Saudi in the dim and distant past I had to acquire a No Objection Certificate" from my then employer to move on. Is it similar in the UAE? How do I go about obtaining this. I have to give a month's notice which is no problem

I believe there is also something like a "Letter of Good Standing" which I will need. Can anybody help with how I get this?

What about separation? If I complete a full year or more do I get 2 weeks of my salary. Would this normally be a cash payment?

I'm trying to line up my ducks on these subjects as, although I have a local contract, I am effectively engaged through an international agency also so it gets a bit complex. For example, I get paid a nominal salary by my local "employer" which is then received off my day rate invoice from my international agency.

Finally, what about closing of Bank Accounts and Mobile Phone contracts. Are these separate issues or do they have ramifications along the line on my leaving my current "employer". I would be happy to keep my bank account open in the hope another contract comes along - but only if that would be lawful.
NOC's do not exist in the UAE they were abolished years ago. It is all dependant upon your salary/educaton and i doubt you will have any problems there. You can get a certificate of good conduct online via Dubai Police and it takes minutes to complete please bear in mind these certificates are only valid for 3 months I dont think you can keep your bank account open as once your visa and EID are cancelled then the bank will be notified. and some firms inform the bank of your final salary once your EOSB have been credited. Bear in mind a bank account can be frozen until they check you have no outstanding loans/CC

Last edited by reddiva; Sep 26th 2018 at 10:10 am.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reddiva
NOC's do not exist in the UAE they were abolished years ago. It is all dependant upon your salary/educaton and i doubt you will have any problems there. You can get a certificate of good conduct online via Dubai Police and it takes minutes to complete please bear in mind these certificates are only valid for 3 months I dont think you can keep your bank account open as once your visa and EID are cancelled then the bank will be notified. and some firms inform the bank of your final salary once your EOSB have been credited. Bear in mind a bank account can be frozen until they check you have no outstanding loans/CC
You can keep your bank accounts open without a visa. Plenty of people kept accounts open between jobs, even for years. I had a mate who left a job and worked as a freelance consultant without a visa for two years and never had issues with banking in the UAE.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
You can keep your bank accounts open without a visa. Plenty of people kept accounts open between jobs, even for years. I had a mate who left a job and worked as a freelance consultant without a visa for two years and never had issues with banking in the UAE.
A girl that recently joined our firm was chased by both ENBD and HSBC as she didnt have a valid EID/VISA
Once her previous visa was cancelled and her EOSB hit she started getting the calls. She sits next to me and i could hear the entire conversations
Old Sep 26th 2018, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

A girl that recently joined our firm was chased by both ENBD and HSBC as she didnt have a valid EID/VISA
Once her previous visa was cancelled and her EOSB hit she started getting the calls. She sits next to me and i could hear the entire conversations
Laws could have changed recently. Wouldn't be surprised. But also wouldn't be surprised if it was because of something else, like a loan or credit cards, which may require you having a valid visa.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Laws could have changed recently. Wouldn't be surprised. But also wouldn't be surprised if it was because of something else, like a loan or credit cards, which may require you having a valid visa.

She didn't have either.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It depends if someone tells the bank.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

There are no Letters of No Objection. If you do a runner, just leave without resigning etc, you can be put on an absconder list etc and run into problems that way.

Bank accounts can be kept open.

What happens with your end of service gratuity depends on your company. Some try to grift, some try to delay, some pay promptly, some do a direct deposit into your UAE bank account when you leave (which, as mentioned, can be kept open). The best predictor is to ask previous employees who have left.

It is good advice on the police certificate, it may ssy on there 3 months, but most Western organisations that ask for them, will have their own guidelines on length and some accept them a year out.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

mrkjd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the useful replies guys.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

unless it's a not-for-profit, <snip> aim is probably a less altruistic than that Lex31!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 5th 2018 at 10:30 am. Reason: Website name removed