Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

TV ... questions?!

TV ... questions?!

Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:34 am
Just Joined

mustang sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV ... questions?!

Started looking at our options of what to sign up to ... and how ... and now a tad confused!

Seems the most expensive option with the least amount of quality tv is Du and one of their premium packages.

But then I read about people buying a decoder for 800ish dh and getting so much more and no monthly fees. Can anyone explain - how and is it legal? And what should be on my shopping list!

Then there is the torrent and vpn options ......!?*

Could someone please give me a quick dummies edition of tv options in dubai before I sign up to anything.

From Oz - so would love to get my hands on some decent UK tv(Some of the better US ones too!) , have a couple of little tykes who dont watch too much but love the old tom and jerry, Mickey cartoons. Some sport ok but not nec. A decent news (didn't have one in oz!), movies would be good and national geographic type programmes.

Many thanks in advance.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:46 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV ... questions?!

If you are unwilling to go the whole hog of fixing a dish to your house, your location in DXB may well determine who your options are..

Im up in Sports City, and it was Du or nothing, as my LL won't let me set up a dish.. (Claims its against community rules..)
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:23 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mustang sally
Started looking at our options of what to sign up to ... and how ... and now a tad confused!

Seems the most expensive option with the least amount of quality tv is Du and one of their premium packages.

But then I read about people buying a decoder for 800ish dh and getting so much more and no monthly fees. Can anyone explain - how and is it legal? And what should be on my shopping list!

Then there is the torrent and vpn options ......!?*

Could someone please give me a quick dummies edition of tv options in dubai before I sign up to anything.

From Oz - so would love to get my hands on some decent UK tv(Some of the better US ones too!) , have a couple of little tykes who dont watch too much but love the old tom and jerry, Mickey cartoons. Some sport ok but not nec. A decent news (didn't have one in oz!), movies would be good and national geographic type programmes.

Many thanks in advance.
with d its not great but you get enough, loads of sports, about 10 kids channels, loads of american stuff, a bbc channel, plus history, nat geo, travel, cookery etc...
Old Feb 9th 2010, 10:57 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
with d its not great but you get enough, loads of sports, about 10 kids channels, loads of american stuff, a bbc channel, plus history, nat geo, travel, cookery etc...
We have just found the Investigation Discovery (ID) channel on Orbit Showtime and its really addictive. They recreate major crimes in the USA as well as the investigation process involved. Better than CSI or Law & Order in my view.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Have discovered that with the DU thing...if you push the green button and select by category.....you don't get all the shows you would expect to be under that particular category.

But if you select - everything...and then scroll through the list you find extra sports channels that aren't in the sports cat. for example.
Same with comedy.

It's all still sh.ite mind.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're into live sport, you're better off not even getting it connected. We have Apple TV and have movies and tv shows that we've downloaded on it and can also watch youtube (which has so many movies and tv shows uploaded daily).
Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

I question whether people still need TV, cable etc at home - apart from a few sporting events that aren't streamed live, I can watch everything I want from my laptop....
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

mustang sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
I question whether people still need TV, cable etc at home - apart from a few sporting events that aren't streamed live, I can watch everything I want from my laptop....
How SyB? Are you downloading what you want to watch or have you turned your laptop into a channel receiver so to speak - and is that via another country or cable content plus more here?

All other suggestions taken onboard - thank you
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
We have just found the Investigation Discovery (ID) channel on Orbit Showtime and its really addictive. They recreate major crimes in the USA as well as the investigation process involved. Better than CSI or Law & Order in my view.
May be better than some of the CSIs (particularly that pretentious Horatio bloke in the Miami thing) but nothing is better than CSI New York. Gary Sinise must be the world's most underrated actor and that gorgeous Greek goddess with him is worth a look all on her own..............
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:55 pm