Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

TV ... questions?!

TV ... questions?!

Old Feb 13th 2010, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

DrBert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TV ... questions?!

Speaking of TV, is it worth me planning on bringing my TV, stereo etc from the UK out with me? I'm working on the theory that at least in the short term probably not, (at least until I've settled). Haven't got as far as thinking what I'd do with the flat full of furniture I currently have here..

(Haven't got as far as getting a job in Dubai either, but that's edging closer..)
Old Feb 14th 2010, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I've got a big ass TV... to only watch movie blu-rays on. I've been in Dubai 5+ years and have never had a cable TV thingy.... never missed it.

That said I guess for non-techy types VPN and bittorent et al is tedious....
Ha,ha - I'll see your big ass TV and raise you a pair of stereoscopic projectors and 3-D glasses (good for 3-D movies and certain games that are coded for stereoscopic graphics, Oblivion is particularly gorgeous in 3D). Sadly, my little cottage in Woodstock doesn't have enough room to set it up. Worked a treat in my capacious AD apartment, mind.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi Mustang Sally,

Thanks for starting this thread i've just been trying to work all of this stuff out myself and have been going around in circles.

I have no telly (as in don't even have a telly box)no internet and want to get both, I have a tv table and thats it, so what do I need to buy when I buy a telly, I seem to get oversold everything here and generally ripped off, so would like to go in having some idea of what I need, rather than all the add on sale shite they do, so in the Uk I know I would need a digi box if it wasnt inbuilt, but here I have no idea, could someone give me a very basic and clear (imagine your talking to your great granny whos a complete technophobe) guide to go about purchasing a telly and what I need from du for telly and wireless internet connection- I need wifi as well so guess Im going to need a magic box for that as well....

All help would be appreciated and yes I really am this dumb and blonde and incompetent at this sort of stuff so no need to tell me how simple it is and I shouldbe able to do this sort of stuff etc- I know Im dumb and just need clear guidance from anyone feeling particularly helpful.

Thanks in advance

Kittycat
x
Maybe buy a plasma second hand from a departing expat?
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Bungdit Din is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lionheart
But don't you have to watch TV on a poxy laptop screen if you are using the internet?
if you have a flat screen TV you can just plug your laptop into it via DVI or VGA and watch everything full size.

if you want British TV get a UK VPN and download Zattoo and you can watch all the BBC channels, ITV1 and 2, C4, C5 and loads of other channels totally live. no blackouts for sports events either.

if you get a VPN that lets you switch between UK and USA you can get loads of free on-demand TV from America too... check out Hulu...
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:48 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Maybe buy a plasma second hand from a departing expat?
Lulus are selling 32ins CTVs for Dhs999...
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:15 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like there is some more news about the upcoming EPL season. Maybe we will all have to plug Laptops into our TVs or we will have to have an additional box.

Anyone got any clearer information than the PR in the National?

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....702149821/1010
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:15 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like there is some more news about the upcoming EPL season. Maybe we will all have to plug Laptops into our TVs or we will have to have an additional box.

Anyone got any clearer information than the PR in the National?

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....702149821/1010
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:11 am
Just Joined

mandarin1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

There're quite a few sites in which you can view live sports through the internet, just google them and if you have your pc/laptop hooked up through your TV you're good to go!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Just a quick update, I now have a 42" telly- ( witha free dvd player and 2 years insurance- reduced by 700dhm- was quite tempted by teh 52inch but decided it was a little excessive! -thank you carreforre)- delivered when they said they would and unpacked, I had to queue in Du for over an hour as their system seems to be bloody awful and slow but have now been switched on so I now have telly and internet and a phone- with showtime premier- coming in at 527 dhm a month, so generally happy- and Du turned up early to set me up so can't compalin at all! Not the drama I thought it would be!

Thanks for all the advice and you'll all be pleased to know I am no longer using my neighbours wifi so am now longer a theiving crim!!

Kittycat x
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

Just a quick update, I now have a 42" telly- ( witha free dvd player and 2 years insurance- reduced by 700dhm- was quite tempted by teh 52inch but decided it was a little excessive! -thank you carreforre)- delivered when they said they would and unpacked, I had to queue in Du for over an hour as their system seems to be bloody awful and slow but have now been switched on so I now have telly and internet and a phone- with showtime premier- coming in at 527 dhm a month, so generally happy- and Du turned up early to set me up so can't compalin at all! Not the drama I thought it would be!

Thanks for all the advice and you'll all be pleased to know I am no longer using my neighbours wifi so am now longer a theiving crim!!

Kittycat x
But still no footy on TV tonight? Its only on Al Jazeera Plus
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Can honestly say I don't care about the footie! The joys of being single!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 6:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandarin1977
There're quite a few sites in which you can view live sports through the internet, just google them and if you have your pc/laptop hooked up through your TV you're good to go!
But who wants to watch footy on a laptop? Its hard enough following the ball on a big screen TV.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandarin1977
But who wants to watch footy on a laptop? Its hard enough following the ball on a big screen TV.
The dude just said you can hook your laptop to your TV! FFS!!! You even quoted him saying that!

HDMI....look into it.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Bungdit Din is on a distinguished road

to connect a laptop to a TV you usually need a DVI-to-HDMI cable for the video and a stereo jack-to-phono cable for the audio. got my DVI-to-HDMI cable from E-Max at Oasis Centre for about 70dhs... places like Sharaf were doing the Monster Cable version for 300+ dhs but that's a total ripoff and waste of money... it's a digital signal so an expensive cable makes no difference to the quality of the picture over a cheap cable...
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

hayrah is an unknown quantity at this point

Just started a similar thread - after reading all this lot, I'm still none the wiser. Yes I am technically challenged!

We just hooked up our Al Jaz box and the channels don't seem to be consistent - first time through, we got quite a few english channels, like discovery and boomerang (kids) but on going back to them, they were scrambled. Is that normal? Is it a teaser, so you want to purchase more?

If you do want to buy some channels, is it a monthly fee? All we have so far is the box that 995 AED (Humax, Al Jaz sport).

Apologies for all the stupid questions...I would have JRTFM if there were any in the box!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.