Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

TV Compatibility UK/Oman

TV Compatibility UK/Oman

Old Mar 30th 2014, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

RaaidBW is an unknown quantity at this point
Question TV Compatibility UK/Oman

We intend to leave UK and move to Oman shortly and I wonder if my Samsung PS43D450 TV will be OK for use there.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV Compatibility UK/Oman

Let me see if I can help.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
Thanks, but I believe that I have the answer to my own question and it differs from the link you gave.
The 'world wide' compatibility claimed does not cover all countries transmitting with the PAL system, because the sound frequency varies.

UK is on PAL/I, whilst Oman is on PAL/BG. which are not compatible with one another.
To use my TV in Oman, the simple solution is to buy a digital video recorder in Oman and use that tuner rather than the TV's tuner to receive channels.

For any expatriate with a similar query, see this website for worldwide transmission info.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 4:51 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, you figured out how to use Google :-)
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
Well done, you figured out how to use Google :-)
I hoped for advice from someone in Oman who has local knowledge.
Having been using Google since its inception, I do raise my eyebrows somewhat when someone suggests I do just that.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RaaidBW
I hoped for advice from someone in Oman who has local knowledge..
Local knowledge of your very specific question about your very specific TV?
Originally Posted by RaaidBW
Having been using Google since its inception, I do raise my eyebrows somewhat when someone suggests I do just that.
I raised my eyebrows in disbelief the first time I read your question as you appeared to not have availed yourself of Google and left yourself open to looking like a bit of a berk.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

OK, while we are discussing TVs... I was looking at some TVs yesterday, with the thought that we might buy one here in the UAE and eventually take it back to the UK. However, when I asked whether it had a digital tuner, or was just analogue, I got a completely blank stare from the salesman (who could tell me little more than its size, colour and manufacturer). I did some googling last night, and as far as I can tell many new TVs in this region still don't automatically come with a digital receiver and so won't work in the UK on the freeview channels unless one gets an additional set top box. The model I was looking at seemed to be an export model from India (Toshiba - but when I searched by exact model, I could only find it on sale in India) - and when I downloaded its entire instruction manual, even that made no mention of a digital tuner.

So, is that correct - do a large number of TVs being sold in the UAE NOT come with digital tuners, or is it now so standard that they are just not mentioning it in the specs? Both the salesmen in the shop had clearly never heard of digital versus analogue TV transmission, so were no use whatsoever.

thanks,
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:44 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
Both the salesmen in the shop had clearly never heard of digital versus analogue TV transmission
That's not really surprising, because it's a complete non-issue here. Everybody gets their TV via satellite, cable or internet, there is no UHF/VHF broadcast TV - well, there isn't in Dubai at any rate. Dubai's TV transmitter mast, which was something of a landmark, was pulled down several years ago due to it being obsolete.

I have no idea whether any TVs sold here have digital tuners. My own take is that it doesn't really matter, since if you ever wanted to take one back to the UK you'd just use a digital STB with it.

BTW, RaaidBW - the above applies to you too. There's probably no UHF TV for you to receive in Oman, and if there is, you can guarantee it'll be some low-budget local channel. You'll be plugging a cable or satellite box into your telly. Although to be quite honest, you'd be better off not bothering with a TV package and spending the money on Netflix or using the iPlayer and downloads instead.

Last edited by Eeyore; Mar 31st 2014 at 10:48 am.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Eeyore
That's not really surprising, because it's a complete non-issue here. Everybody gets their TV via satellite, cable or internet, there is no UHF/VHF broadcast TV - well, there isn't in Dubai at any rate. Dubai's TV transmitter mast, which was something of a landmark, was pulled down several years ago due to it being obsolete.

I have no idea whether any TVs sold here have digital tuners. My own take is that it doesn't really matter, since if you ever wanted to take one back to the UK you'd just use a digital STB with it.
Yes, I know they don't broadcast TV here. But I'd still prefer, if given the choice, to get one which will work without a STB. We have enough boxes under the TV (with associated remote controls) without needing to add more. From what I have found out at lunchtime today, some TVs sold here do indeed have built-in digital tuners - but it is very hard to confirm which models have them and which don't.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:52 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Each to their own. I'd personally prioritise picture quality over a digital tuner, and back in the UK I'd want to hook the TV up to a Freesat or Freeview PVR anyway.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:26 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Oman. I've no idea. I bought my TVs here; Netflix is not really an option as I'm limited to 120 Gb/month download on dial up speeds (reality is a different speed to advertised). We deliberately chose not to use cable. There is no such thing as digital TV. I think there are a couple of bad local news channels in Arabic on the UHF frequency. Never bothered myself. We use iTunes, iPlayer (downloads only - streaming doesn't work) and buy DVDs.