British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Tubli Bahrain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/tubli-bahrain-692291/)

jojoad Nov 5th 2010 5:17 am

Tubli Bahrain

Can anyone tell me what Tubli is like to live in and does anyone have any info on naseem international school

Millhouse Nov 5th 2010 7:41 am

Re: Tubli Bahrain

Originally Posted by jojoad (Post 8962822)
Can anyone tell me what Tubli is like to live in and does anyone have any info on naseem international school

I have never been... but I do know that:

There is a run down sweage treatment plant in Tubli that dumps shit into the sea. There is a plant to build a new mega plant there to sort the mess out - I'd say the new plant is 4 years away from being finished (on the basis they haven't launched the tender for it yet).

I know this as I recently won a bid for another sweage treatment plant in Bahrain.

norsk Nov 5th 2010 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jojoad (Post 8962822)

Tubli is okay as an area and cheap (ish) rent, but like EM says it is quite stinky. Not just because of the sewage, but also because of the stagnant water in the bay. On the bright side there are flamingoes...

My son goes to St Chris, and let's just say Naseem wasn't on our list of potentials schools. In fact I haven't heard of it before. Oh crap, I'm a snob apparently..

Millhouse Nov 6th 2010 4:52 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8964210)
Tubli is okay as an area and cheap (ish) rent, but like EM says it is quite stinky. Not just because of the sewage, but also because of the stagnant water in the bay. On the bright side there are flamingoes..

The hope is that the new plant dumps cleaner water in to the bay which will reduce the smell.

jojoad Nov 6th 2010 5:02 am

thanks for the info, just how stinky is it and if bad where is the best place to live near schools we dont want to spend more than 1500 per month.

naseem is an IB school so we would prefer that as long as it is multicultural if not than it would be st chris or british school, how hard ar they to get into we are looking at relocating next summer

camel jockey Nov 6th 2010 3:16 pm

Sorry but the only children that I ever see at Naseem are all Bahraini. Never seen a western expat there and have driven past it twice a dayfor over 5 years!

For IB - StChris, Bahrain School (DoD school, very expensive), Bayan, Ibn Khuldoon and Modern Knowledge. Out of my experience though, if you are a western expat the first two are really your only options. Bayan and Ibn Khuldoon are both very good schools but again, not so much with the multiculturalism! Modern Knowledge doesn't have the best reputation on the island either.