Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Trees for our Garden!!

Trees for our Garden!!

Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:31 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trees for our Garden!!

Originally Posted by novita77
2m or 2 mm???
2metres Nov

percy thrower has nothing on your gardening skills Mjc
Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:35 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
2metres Nov

percy thrower has nothing on your gardening skills Mjc
i have 1 lemon tree in our garden, to me it looks the same after 4 years But then again I am a pathetic gardener ... hubby does all the jobs....
Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:37 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77
i have 1 lemon tree in our garden, to me it looks the same after 4 years But then again I am a pathetic gardener ... hubby does all the jobs....
I have a secret weapon...a budding charlie dimmock...she took over once i'de killed all.... my lemon tree has grown at least 30cm in a month.....
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:33 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

lemon trees, 10 AED each in the plant souk and they grow 2m a year....... hibiscus too....... but don't ask me to plant them as they'll die........
Where is the plant souk?

Thanks for all your ideas, we do have a gardener, but his English isn't great, lovely chap, smiles a lot...

Will check out the Garden Centre too.

Zannie xx
Old Jun 13th 2005, 5:37 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zannie
Where is the plant souk?

Thanks for all your ideas, we do have a gardener, but his English isn't great, lovely chap, smiles a lot...

Will check out the Garden Centre too.

Zannie xx

You will find just what you need at the Plant souk for half the cost that the garden center would charge you and they will even re pot plants for you at no extra!

And the chaps English is very good to.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 6:17 am
Premium Member

The plant souk is just off the last SZR exit before the Gharoud bridge. Follow the Jadraf sign. As soon as u turn off the road the souk is there on the right.....very very cheap and much bettwre than the garden centre

TRIN
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:10 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

The plant souk is just off the last SZR exit before the Gharoud bridge. Follow the Jadraf sign. As soon as u turn off the road the souk is there on the right.....very very cheap and much bettwre than the garden centre

TRIN
Cheers Trin, I'll pop down there and take a look!

Zannie x
Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:22 am
A Natural Blonde

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
You will find just what you need at the Plant souk for half the cost that the garden center would charge you and they will even re pot plants for you at no extra!
Went to the plant souk yesterday...fantastic place and really easy to find, bought some lovely trees for our garden at a bargain price and they delivered. Will definitely go back.

Thanks to those who suggested the plant souk and the plant ideas.

BTW, did you know they sell palms relatively cheap! The first plant souk as you enter could sell us a monster of a palm (12-15 years old) for 1500 dirhams (before bargaining) inc. delivery and planting. Personally I thought that was a fantastic price for a plant of that maturity and size, considering how much that would cost you back home...

Cheers again

Zannie xxx
Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:40 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zannie
Went to the plant souk yesterday...fantastic place and really easy to find, bought some lovely trees for our garden at a bargain price and they delivered. Will definitely go back.

Thanks to those who suggested the plant souk and the plant ideas.

BTW, did you know they sell palms relatively cheap! The first plant souk as you enter could sell us a monster of a palm (12-15 years old) for 1500 dirhams (before bargaining) inc. delivery and planting. Personally I thought that was a fantastic price for a plant of that maturity and size, considering how much that would cost you back home...

Cheers again

Zannie xxx

Glad that you managed to get what you need! Its a great place, but with so many to choose from, all the guys try to astop you for your custom...
We go to a particular chap who is very helpful.. I was there yesterday as well, I have several hybiscus and whats known as "Chinese Rose" its a creeper and cames in a vast variety of colors... Sadly both are prone to some kind of white bug, very small, scaley and resembles a slug on its under carriage.
Not sure on prices of Palm trees, they take an awfull lot of water as we had one in the garden of our old place!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:51 am
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

Glad that you managed to get what you need! Its a great place, but with so many to choose from, all the guys try to astop you for your custom...
We go to a particular chap who is very helpful.. I was there yesterday as well, I have several hybiscus and whats known as "Chinese Rose" its a creeper and cames in a vast variety of colors... Sadly both are prone to some kind of white bug, very small, scaley and resembles a slug on its under carriage.
Not sure on prices of Palm trees, they take an awfull lot of water as we had one in the garden of our old place!
Good morning Heart,

As for the bugs you're talking about I might have a little trick for you. If you can buy the oldfashioned green gell soap? Mix two table spoons in about 5 liters of water and spray your shrub(s) really good with it just before night fall. Early in the morning spray the shurbs with plain water to get the soap off. You might have to repeat it a few times, but I myself don't like using chemicals in an area where childern play (or could play).

Frans
Old Jun 17th 2005, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Frans Wind
Good morning Heart,

As for the bugs you're talking about I might have a little trick for you. If you can buy the oldfashioned green gell soap? Mix two table spoons in about 5 liters of water and spray your shrub(s) really good with it just before night fall. Early in the morning spray the shurbs with plain water to get the soap off. You might have to repeat it a few times, but I myself don't like using chemicals in an area where childern play (or could play).

Frans

Morning Frans....

We are now in an aprtment with a large balcony, there was no way I was leaving any plants at the villa so I dug em all up!!

Last year I had to use chemicals as all 5 hybicus trees, including one that stood almost 7 ft tall was attacked big time by these bloody bugs, you couldnt see braches for white bug...

I did, however try the washing up liguid solution but it never work but Im happy to try it again.. Not prepared to let the little blighters take over!!

I was sat there early hours of this morning re potting new chinese rose shrubs and picking all the bugs off.... Ahhh!!!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:05 am
UAE Expat

Frans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud ofFrans Wind has much to be proud of

Morning Frans....

We are now in an aprtment with a large balcony, there was no way I was leaving any plants at the villa so I dug em all up!!

Last year I had to use chemicals as all 5 hybicus trees, including one that stood almost 7 ft tall was attacked big time by these bloody bugs, you couldnt see braches for white bug...

I did, however try the washing up liguid solution but it never work but Im happy to try it again.. Not prepared to let the little blighters take over!!

I was sat there early hours of this morning re potting new chinese rose shrubs and picking all the bugs off.... Ahhh!!!
Washing up liquid doesn't give the same effect Heart. You need the oldfashioned green gell soap (if you can get it there) as it covers the bugs and kills them. Modern kinds of soap don't do that. What you can also try is (don't laugh) spraying the plants with beer. Alcohol will kill the bugs as well.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:11 am

Washing up liquid doesn't give the same effect Heart. You need the oldfashioned green gell soap (if you can get it there) as it covers the bugs and kills them. Modern kinds of soap don't do that. What you can also try is (don't laugh) spraying the plants with beer. Alcohol will kill the bugs as well.

LOL...... Have heaps of Lager, will that do the same? Im sure my hubby wont object to me using it!!!

Nope... cant get that out here...Shame.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:16 am
UAE Expat

LOL...... Have heaps of Lager, will that do the same? Im sure my hubby wont object to me using it!!!

Nope... cant get that out here...Shame.
Well put some beer in a sprayer and spray them. Actually soak the infected area's. As for the green gell soap? Any Mercedes, Audi, BMW garage in your area? I mean a professional one? These guys have the green gell soap (also called petrolium soap) as well. It stinks like hell but does the trick.

Frans
Old Jun 17th 2005, 8:33 am

. As for the green gell soap? Any Mercedes, Audi, BMW garage in your area? I mean a professional one? These guys have the green gell soap (also called petrolium soap)
Frans

I think I know the stuff you mean.... used for getting grease of hands! ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.