Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The treatment of Indians by the Arab hosts

The treatment of Indians by the Arab hosts

Old Sep 27th 2008, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Whittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really nice
Default Re: The treatment of Indians by the Arab hosts

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i have to say i've got a number of indian friends with children, and not one of them has ever had an issue in this regard either...i think it's easy for some people to presume there is a problem, without actually asking any of the people involved...

MM, xx
Cheers for that Madam Madusa! Yes there is always more than one side to every story!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whittleminx
Lol I know there is nothing wrong with being a nanny IndieG, I suspect it is a very rewarding career. It's the reason they might think it is my problem not the actual job. No one likes to be Pigeon holed surely?

Regarding the accident, that's good to hear!
agree about being pigeon holed, but honestly, I have so many Indian friends and none of us have ever been mistaken for a maid....

Cheers
Old Sep 27th 2008, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Whittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really niceWhittleminx is just really nice

Originally Posted by IndieG
agree about being pigeon holed, but honestly, I have so many Indian friends and none of us have ever been mistaken for a maid....

Cheers
I'm so glad to hear that IndieG!!! Thanks for your replies!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

Cheers
well... I got some unwanted attention in Dubai Marina while I was pushing my baby around and doing shopping in the middle of the day which left me rather shocked cos I was very modestly dressed and minding my own business. My husband asked his collegues at work as to whether that was normal, and the general consensus was "no" and that the chaps must have thought I was a nanny or something and that therefore they had a chance. I mean... wtf?!! Er... wtf on every level, in fact!

Talking to a philippina shop assistant the other day, she's been asked several times "how much?" as she walked down the street... Another british friend was asked the same thing in a hotel bar...

This place is full of stereotypes. It's baseless and shallow and that's as far as it goes.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyds
well... I got some unwanted attention in Dubai Marina while I was pushing my baby around and doing shopping in the middle of the day which left me ratheCURITYr shocked cos I was very modestly dressed and minding my own business. My husband asked his collegues at work as to whether that was normal, and the general consensus was "no" and that the chaps must have thought I was a nanny or something and that therefore they had a chance. I mean... wtf?!! Er... wtf on every level, in fact!

Talking to a philippina shop assistant the other day, she's been asked several times "how much?" as she walked down the street... Another british friend was asked the same thing in a hotel bar...

This place is full of stereotypes. It's baseless and shallow and that's as far as it goes.

Sorry to hear about your awful experience - next time it happens, may be try having a word with mall security (if they're around) or else call Al Ameen. I had some crank calls on my mobile, so promptly went and reported it to the Bur Dubai police station. They got the guy and he spent a night cooling his heels in the lock-up....lol
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your awful experience - next time it happens, may be try having a word with mall security (if they're around) or else call Al Ameen. I had some crank calls on my mobile, so promptly went and reported it to the Bur Dubai police station. They got the guy and he spent a night cooling his heels in the lock-up....lol
we obviously just don't know what we're talking about indie...

MM, xx
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

hehe... it wasn't that bad... just a couple of chaps trying to convince me to have coffee with them and asking for my number... persistently! Flashes of my wedding ring and talk of my husband didn't seem to be a strong enough hint!

Oh, that reminds me of another occasion when I was walking back the apartment and a chap tried to invite himself in for a coffee - I just said that my husband would not be happy about it and he scurried off!

Maybe it's the whole "walking" thing that does it... mad dogs and englishmen and all that.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
we obviously just don't know what we're talking about indie...

MM, xx
woah!

I'm just talking about my experience... just as you're talking about yours. Equal importance = clearer picture. That's all.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:59 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

been here 4 years...never had any problems...
I'd love to be chatted up....lmao
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MataHari
been here 4 years...never had any problems...
I'd love to be chatted up....lmao
oh yeah... gotta love that Grecian 2000 look!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:03 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

oh yeah... gotta love that Grecian 2000 look!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

what?!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:07 pm
hmmmm...nice

what?!
you get chatted up by old guys...
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

you get chatted up by old guys...
well, 2 old guys and a young egyptian with slicked back hair... none of which was overly appealing!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:11 pm
hmmmm...nice

well, 2 old guys and a young egyptian with slicked back hair... none of which was overly appealing!
oh well...better luck next time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.