British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   travelling to Israel (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/travelling-israel-927352/)

mission Aug 20th 2019 12:50 pm

travelling to Israel

Hello folks
So I am potentially thinking of travelling to Israel (Tel Aviv) to meet up with family members who are travelling from the UK - to not only see Israel but more importantly go to Palestine to try and do some charity work and also gain some hands on exposure to the horrendous occupation of the Palestinian people.
Does anyone know how I can apply for a 'tourist' visa from here for Israel?
We know we can only access Palestine through the various borders/entry/exit points which are controlled by Israel - does anyone have any experience of this? Or does anyone know how hard/easy it is to cross over to Palestine?
Will I have any issues on re-entering the UAE? i've read that nowadays they don't stamp your passport, but instead they give you a visa slip?
Any insightful advise/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

TheShed Aug 21st 2019 9:59 am

Re: travelling to Israel

Its visa on arrival for Brits and if you ask them, they will stamp a visa slip so you don't have problems coming back to the Gulf.

I would not mention your onward travel to the occupied territories when going through immigration as they are very sensitive about that. Particularly as you'll have a Gulf residency in your passport.

Before you fully commit to the trip, check your travel options as they are very limited and will include a stop over in at least one other country outside of the gulf.

Enjoy.

mission Aug 21st 2019 10:06 am

Originally Posted by TheShed (Post 12725616)
Its visa on arrival for Brits and if you ask them, they will stamp a visa slip so you don't have problems coming back to the Gulf.

I would not mention your onward travel to the occupied territories when going through immigration as they are very sensitive about that. Particularly as you'll have a Gulf residency in your passport.

Before you fully commit to the trip, check your travel options as they are very limited and will include a stop over in at least one other country outside of the gulf.

Enjoy.

Thanks SHED, as always much appreciated.

BritInParis Aug 21st 2019 11:32 am

Before making any commitments I would read the FCO travel advice in its entirety very carefully: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...an-territories

Going to Gaza is a no-no without prior permission so you should limit yourself to the West Bank. Depending on the type of work you wish to do, the Israeli authorities may refuse you entry. Likewise if the Israeli authorities are aware of your support or involvement with the BDS movement or similar then they will also refuse entry.

Lastly, without wishing getting in a political debate, I would try and go with an open mind. It will stand you in good stead with both sides.

mission Aug 21st 2019 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12725651)
Before making any commitments I would read the FCO travel advice in its entirety very carefully: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...an-territories

Going to Gaza is a no-no without prior permission so you should limit yourself to the West Bank. Depending on the type of work you wish to do, the Israeli authorities may refuse you entry. Likewise if the Israeli authorities are aware of your support or involvement with the BDS movement or similar then they will also refuse entry.

Lastly, without wishing getting in a political debate, I would try and go with an open mind. It will stand you in good stead with both sides.

Thanks - and duly noted :)

Edo Aug 21st 2019 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12725205)
Hello folks
So I am potentially thinking of travelling to Israel (Tel Aviv) to meet up with family members who are travelling from the UK - to not only see Israel but more importantly go to Palestine to try and do some charity work and also gain some hands on exposure to the horrendous occupation of the Palestinian people.
Does anyone know how I can apply for a 'tourist' visa from here for Israel?
We know we can only access Palestine through the various borders/entry/exit points which are controlled by Israel - does anyone have any experience of this? Or does anyone know how hard/easy it is to cross over to Palestine?
Will I have any issues on re-entering the UAE? i've read that nowadays they don't stamp your passport, but instead they give you a visa slip?
Any insightful advise/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Is your family going with a registered tour group from the UK? If that is the case then I would find out if the same tour group can have you join them somewhere half way or at the destination point. That way the group managers can (a) guide you through immigration and how to deal with the purposefully designed questions from immigration officials to minimize the risk of denied entry; and (b) act as a guarantor during your stay.

mission Aug 22nd 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Edo (Post 12725783)
Is your family going with a registered tour group from the UK? If that is the case then I would find out if the same tour group can have you join them somewhere half way or at the destination point. That way the group managers can (a) guide you through immigration and how to deal with the purposefully designed questions from immigration officials to minimize the risk of denied entry; and (b) act as a guarantor during your stay.

na not going with any group. But thanks for the heads up regarding the potential of being asked awkward questions.