Travel to the US

Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel to the US

Hi all,

I have a trip to New York coming up and just wanted to check travel requirements. My understanding is that as a UK passport holder I can travel without a Visa under the visa waiver programme. My only concern is the below phrase. Can anyone confirm if I need to geta visa or just complete the waiver thing? Anyone travelled to the US this year that can confirm?

EXCEPTION: To be eligible for the VWP, persons presenting United Kingdom passports must possess the unrestricted right of permanent abode in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man

Cheers

Kittycatx
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to the US

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

I have a trip to New York coming up and just wanted to check travel requirements. My understanding is that as a UK passport holder I can travel without a Visa under the visa waiver programme. My only concern is the below phrase. Can anyone confirm if I need to geta visa or just complete the waiver thing? Anyone travelled to the US this year that can confirm?

EXCEPTION: To be eligible for the VWP, persons presenting United Kingdom passports must possess the unrestricted right of permanent abode in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man

Cheers

Kittycatx

have you keen kicked out of the UK??? You will be fine - you possess the unrestricted right of permanent abode (you just choose not to exercise that right)

Isn't this to make sure that our friends with UK passports who are not allowed in the UK (e.g. the ghurkas)?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:58 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

Cheers

Kittycatx

You need to go to the ESTA website and complete the form. You will them receive, hopefully , an acceptance email....

ESTA Site
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

"You need to go to the ESTA website and complete the form. You will them receive, hopefully , an acceptance email....
"

I'm off to the US tomorrow morning, registered with ESTA 10 days ago - no email as yet! Hopefully all will be ok.

edit: I just checked the status and it says approved.

Last edited by MAV_DXB; Jun 20th 2010 at 8:18 am.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:44 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAV_DXB
"You need to go to the ESTA website and complete the form. You will them receive, hopefully , an acceptance email....
"

I'm off to the US tomorrow morning, registered with ESTA 10 days ago - no email as yet! Hopefully all will be ok.

edit: I just checked the status and it says approved.
Having been a H1B visa holder already, mine was accepted as soon as I pressed the button to submit it...
Old Jun 20th 2010, 8:56 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I love my two passports.....

Easy in, easy out!
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=kittycat1;8644002]Hi all,

I have a trip to New York coming up and just wanted to check travel requirements. My understanding is that as a UK passport holder I can travel without a Visa under the visa waiver programme.

Isn't there one basic requirement that you must have a modern machine readable passport to avoid a visa?

I haven't been there for about 15 years!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Yes you need a machine readable passport and I applied for my ESTA and got it instantly! hoorah- thanks for all the advice! New York here we come!

xxx