Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Travel to Sana'a these days?

Travel to Sana'a these days?

Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Travel to Sana'a these days?

I may be heading to Sana'a soon, it's somewhere I've always wanted to visit but I'd also like to return in one piece. Can anyone with first-hand knowledge give an impression of the security situation there at present? The UK FCO just says "don't go" - is this overly cautious or is Sana'a really too dangerous to consider for Westerners at the moment?
Old Mar 10th 2013, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to Sana'a these days?

Originally Posted by miuser2
I may be heading to Sana'a soon, it's somewhere I've always wanted to visit but I'd also like to return in one piece. Can anyone with first-hand knowledge give an impression of the security situation there at present? The UK FCO just says "don't go" - is this overly cautious or is Sana'a really too dangerous to consider for Westerners at the moment?
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...h-africa/yemen

I think you would be mad to go there against this advise unless the company that you are working for has high security and an escape plan!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:02 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I am knocking about in Yemen at the moment, all is fairly peaceful nothing to be unduly worried about. There is a conference in Sana'a next weekend regarding the south/north problem so it might be better to avoid that.
You will struggle perhaps to get a visa as a tourist though but it mightn't be totally impossible.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I am knocking about in Yemen at the moment, all is fairly peaceful nothing to be unduly worried about. There is a conference in Sana'a next weekend regarding the south/north problem so it might be better to avoid that.
You will struggle perhaps to get a visa as a tourist though but it mightn't be totally impossible.
Good to know, thanks. I'll be on a business visa if I go so no worries there.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I think you would be mad to go there against this advise unless the company that you are working for has high security and an escape plan!
Thanks Patsy. I find the FCO advice tends to be over-cautious, the impression I have is that the risk is low (within Sana'a at least). If you really want a good scare then check out the US warnings for just about anywhere: (http://travel.state.gov/travel/)
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:55 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know, thanks. I'll be on a business visa if I go so no worries there.
Better to have a local with you if you can at all, especially a good driver or someone who knows the score. Its not exactly wander about like a tourist kind of place at the moment.
Other than Sana'a, Taiz or Aden I wouldn't risk other places and certainly no trips into tribal lands. Sana'a is about the most dangerous by the way
Check out the old city, Dar al Hajr, Salah mosque and maybe a flight to Socotra if you get a few days and a few others I can't think of right now. Taj Sheba is a good hotel to stay at in Sana'a
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

There is a conference in Sana'a next weekend regarding the south/north problem so it might be better to avoid that.
I was suppose to go next week but our security team blocked it because of this conference.

Our resident guy there says its better than it was... he has been moved into a regular compound now rather than imprisoned in the Movenpick
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I was suppose to go next week but our security team blocked it because of this conference.

Our resident guy there says its better than it was... he has been moved into a regular compound now rather than imprisoned in the Movenpick
Hi Millhouse, we'd like you to look at this situation we've got, it's in the Maldives?

No thanks, I'd rather go to Kabul.

You love a random fridge magnet eh.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You love a random fridge magnet eh.
I do try my best to collect fridge magnets from these places but they generally do not have them. That said, it is possible to buy a 35mm camera in Yemen Duty Free... I didn't check to see if they had film though. Probably not.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Better to have a local with you if you can at all, especially a good driver or someone who knows the score. Its not exactly wander about like a tourist kind of place at the moment.
Other than Sana'a, Taiz or Aden I wouldn't risk other places and certainly no trips into tribal lands. Sana'a is about the most dangerous by the way
Check out the old city, Dar al Hajr, Salah mosque and maybe a flight to Socotra if you get a few days and a few others I can't think of right now. Taj Sheba is a good hotel to stay at in Sana'a
Good advice, thank you. I heard that the Burj Al Salaam was the best place to stay in Sana'a, do you know it? Unfortunately I won't be there long enough for a trip to Socotra, that will have to remain on the todo list for now.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:18 am
Knee deep and rising

Good advice, thank you. I heard that the Burj Al Salaam was the best place to stay in Sana'a, do you know it? Unfortunately I won't be there long enough for a trip to Socotra, that will have to remain on the todo list for now.
Yeah I know it, its a small hotel in the centre of the old city. Nice roof terrace there also. Its a bit of a pain to get to with all the narrow crowded streets but if you are in no major panic or have an easy schedule it would be a nice spot to stay. You can stroll around the old city from there, you'll meet a hundred kids outside wanting to be your guide (and bring you to their mates shops) but you'll need one as its a total maze.
Nice Yemeni food restaurant called Al Shibani in a district called Hadda, go upstairs to the main area.
The movenpick hotel is on the outskirts of the city by the way, but used to have a fairly insane nightclub in the basement. Not sure if its still open
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:20 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I do try my best to collect fridge magnets from these places but they generally do not have them. That said, it is possible to buy a 35mm camera in Yemen Duty Free... I didn't check to see if they had film though. Probably not.
You can buy a jumbiya (the curvy knife) there also and carry it on the plane. Well on internal flights anyhow, Felix airways are like a bus with wings.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:25 am