Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Transporting a car to Dubai????

Transporting a car to Dubai????

Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

markjmcsorley is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Transporting a car to Dubai????

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about transporting a car from the UK to Dubai, how long it takes and roughly how much it costs?

Cheers!!

Mark
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transporting a car to Dubai????

Have you thought about the steering wheel issue? They drive on the right over here!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

No I wasnt aware-I should probably have done more homework on this- are car prices similar to home?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by markjmcsorley View Post
No I wasnt aware-I should probably have done more homework on this- are car prices similar to home?
No, they are considerably cheaper over here, especially the big gas-guzzling SUV types.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
No, they are considerably cheaper over here, especially the big gas-guzzling SUV types.
Sounds good thanks for your help!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

i may be wrong, but i'm sure someone told me it was almost impossible to import a car cos there isn't the ME spec, and you would need to get it converted to left hand drive, which wouldn't make it worth your while...that said, this may be complete bollox, sure someone will correct me though...!

MM, xx
Old Jun 25th 2008, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

cherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to all

You would have to make sure that your air conditioning system was super-duper, you definately need it here, plus I've heard rumours that certain cars haven't been adapted for the weather here and parts of them melt in the heat!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother, it's next to impossible....there was a thread about this a few months back you might be able to find that went in to it.

Cars aren't that badly priced out there anyway...
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:52 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot drive RHD vehicles on the roads in the UAE, it's against the law.

Sell your car and with the money you could buy a better car out here!

Bison
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bison View Post

Sell your car and with the money you could buy a better car out here!

Bison
ooh, glad to hear i wasn't just making it up...!

MM, xx
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:41 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bison View Post
I'm sure that wouldn't bother the locals- they'd just tear down the SZR backwards. Voila- left hand drive!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post
I'm sure that wouldn't bother the locals- they'd just tear down the SZR backwards. Voila- left hand drive!
Thanks everyone for the advice, im obviously new to this and hope to arrive in Dubai soon, any top tips-its obviously going to be quite a culture (and climate thankfully) shock!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:00 am
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the advice, im obviously new to this and hope to arrive in Dubai soon, any top tips-its obviously going to be quite a culture (and climate thankfully) shock!
Have a look at www.autotraderuae.com which should give you a good indication of car prices over here
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

read the wiki...