British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Transporting a car to Dubai???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/transporting-car-dubai-545146/)

markjmcsorley Jun 25th 2008 2:50 pm

Transporting a car to Dubai????

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about transporting a car from the UK to Dubai, how long it takes and roughly how much it costs?

Cheers!!

Mark

lionheart Jun 25th 2008 2:55 pm

Re: Transporting a car to Dubai????

Have you thought about the steering wheel issue? They drive on the right over here!

markjmcsorley Jun 25th 2008 2:59 pm

No I wasnt aware-I should probably have done more homework on this- are car prices similar to home?

lionheart Jun 25th 2008 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by markjmcsorley (Post 6502595)
No I wasnt aware-I should probably have done more homework on this- are car prices similar to home?

No, they are considerably cheaper over here, especially the big gas-guzzling SUV types.

markjmcsorley Jun 25th 2008 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6502602)
No, they are considerably cheaper over here, especially the big gas-guzzling SUV types.

Sounds good thanks for your help!

Madam Medusa Jun 25th 2008 3:16 pm

i may be wrong, but i'm sure someone told me it was almost impossible to import a car cos there isn't the ME spec, and you would need to get it converted to left hand drive, which wouldn't make it worth your while...that said, this may be complete bollox, sure someone will correct me though...!

MM, xx

cherrypie1 Jun 25th 2008 5:14 pm

You would have to make sure that your air conditioning system was super-duper, you definately need it here, plus I've heard rumours that certain cars haven't been adapted for the weather here and parts of them melt in the heat!

Bob Jun 25th 2008 6:33 pm

Don't bother, it's next to impossible....there was a thread about this a few months back you might be able to find that went in to it.

Cars aren't that badly priced out there anyway...

Bison Jun 26th 2008 6:52 am

You cannot drive RHD vehicles on the roads in the UAE, it's against the law.

Sell your car and with the money you could buy a better car out here!

Bison

Madam Medusa Jun 26th 2008 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 6504610)

Sell your car and with the money you could buy a better car out here!

Bison

ooh, glad to hear i wasn't just making it up...!

MM, xx

Desert Dweller Jun 26th 2008 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 6504610)

I'm sure that wouldn't bother the locals- they'd just tear down the SZR backwards. Voila- left hand drive!

markjmcsorley Jun 26th 2008 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller (Post 6504827)
I'm sure that wouldn't bother the locals- they'd just tear down the SZR backwards. Voila- left hand drive!

Thanks everyone for the advice, im obviously new to this and hope to arrive in Dubai soon, any top tips-its obviously going to be quite a culture (and climate thankfully) shock!

scarletfan Jun 26th 2008 11:00 am

Originally Posted by markjmcsorley (Post 6505065)
Thanks everyone for the advice, im obviously new to this and hope to arrive in Dubai soon, any top tips-its obviously going to be quite a culture (and climate thankfully) shock!

Have a look at www.autotraderuae.com which should give you a good indication of car prices over here

Bob Jun 26th 2008 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by markjmcsorley (Post 6505065)

read the wiki...