Reload this Page >

Transportation Allowance - Saudi Arabia

Transportation Allowance - Saudi Arabia

Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

chi22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transportation Allowance - Saudi Arabia

Hi Folks,

I have job offer and I am moving from UK.

During the probational period of three months, my employer is saying they will not give transportation allowance or nor a car. After the period is over they will provide either of them.

Does this policy works with Saudi Labor law? Have you folks heard of this before?

What is the travel allowance and how is it calculated ?

Please help.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 6:32 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transportation Allowance - Saudi Arabia

Originally Posted by chi22
Hi Folks,

I have job offer and I am moving from UK.

During the probational period of three months, my employer is saying they will not give transportation allowance or nor a car. After the period is over they will provide either of them.

Does this policy works with Saudi Labor law? Have you folks heard of this before?

What is the travel allowance and how is it calculated ?

Please help.
That's ridiculous! I don't believe they are obliged by law to provide the transportation allowance, but why would they skimp on those few riyals in your first 3 months.

I would be worried, as this is your first sign that things could be difficult as their employee and that you may have to fight for every penny (even if it is in your contract). I spent the first year at my work fighting for everything they had promised me in my offer, contract you name it. It was always some excuse or delay tactic. And even now after nearly 2 years there are things I just had to give up on as I just don't have to energy nor the time to sit in HR every day.

It's up to your company to decide what the allowance is, but from what I hear it is fairly standard to get 10% of your basic salary.

Good luck!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:43 pm
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

Employer MUST provide transportation between your living and working places OR pay transportation (not traveling) allowance which covers those your costs, typically 2*30*one-way-taxi-cost, government minimum is 600sar.
This is if your duties are not related with traveling.
If you are traveling then options are:
a) you get a company car for permanent use;
b) you get monthy allowance which as norsk mentioned is ~10% of your base pay, and you can use it to rent/lease a car of your choice (add from your pocket if you want a better car).
If it is written in contract (with exact amount) then after three month you can sit in HR every day asking for it. If not then forget it.
Old Jun 18th 2011, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Guys,

Is this by law they have to pay for it? Can anybody source me a Saudi employment law guide for this? I was told after probation the will either pay me allowance or give me car. I have not seen that any where!

the contract it says they will pay housing allowance 6 months in advance and 6 months later. is that normal?

I am already getting worried..
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:07 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Guys,

Is this by law they have to pay for it? Can anybody source me a Saudi employment law guide for this? I was told after probation the will either pay me allowance or give me car. I have not seen that any where!

the contract it says they will pay housing allowance 6 months in advance and 6 months later. is that normal?

I am already getting worried..
Google saudi labor (sic!) law. There are a couple of translations (with commentary out there). I didn't think that they had to pay you transport allowance, but I may be wrong or maybe its one of those things that they do and claim is in the law when it isn't. Who knows? Things can be very confusing in KSA..

That's the same way my housing allowance gets paid. Don't know if it's normal though..

here you go http://naderlaw.com.sa/books/laborlawenglish.pdf
Old Jun 18th 2011, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys.. but this seems surely not normal... I just get the connection with probation period and transportation allowance...
Old Jun 19th 2011, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Transportation cost is mandatory as part of the Saudi Labour Law, but in normal day to day 'custom and habit' most employers pay it. THis is an actual lump sum payment every month.

For the Expats, we don't pay a transport allowance, we either provide them pool cars, or arrange for someone who has a pool car, to give them a life to work and back every day.

It is not dependant on probation, so I would challenge this with your HR. In effect, it is MORE important during the early days, as you begin to settle in and find your way around. We have a flat rate for transport costs, not dependant upon salary, but then it increases when you're on Exec grade.

Housing Allowance is typically 25% of your basic, and usually paid monthly (along with Basic Salary and transport costs ) . It might be an issue when you're trying to arrange housing, as compounds here in Riyadh may well ask for a full twelve month payment up front, but when you negotiate, some of them will split it into two x 6 monthly payments.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

I posted a copy of the KSA Labour law here on the WILKI last year.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by coffindodger
I posted a copy of the KSA Labour law here on the WILKI last year.
Surely 'Saudi Labour Law' is a precise oxymoron?
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

So this is not mandatory? Is it part of the law? I just to make sure if my facts are correct?

Thanks again
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

no it is not part of the law
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys..

One thing I noticed .. after doing some research.. this employer is paying the rest of the employees 10% transportation allowance and NOT ME?

WOW this is getting shady
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys..

One thing I noticed .. after doing some research.. this employer is paying the rest of the employees 10% transportation allowance and NOT ME?

WOW this is getting shady
Sorry, mate, it's just getting Saudi....