Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Transferring money to UK

Transferring money to UK

Old Dec 5th 2012, 9:48 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money to UK

Originally Posted by rowell
You could always tell them to CONTACT YOU Maybe they dont know about PM's
You mean the bit where I said 'via PM or the link in my signature below' ?

Or do you want me to shout it in capitals?
Old Dec 5th 2012, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

amishemenah is an unknown quantity at this point

Meow, I loved your responses. I have only been navigating my way around BE for about a week, but have come across so many postings that recommend your services! I doubt you could have been any clearer!

Would you know anyone on BE who could outline the financial and social realities of embarking on a teaching career in Doha?

Sorry, if this isn't the appropriate place to raise this query.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Shawshanker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
You mean the bit where I said 'via PM or the link in my signature below' ?

Or do you want me to shout it in capitals?
Ey up, some of us is new t' this forum's protocol malarkey
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amishemenah
Meow, I loved your responses. I have only been navigating my way around BE for about a week, but have come across so many postings that recommend your services! I doubt you could have been any clearer!

Would you know anyone on BE who could outline the financial and social realities of embarking on a teaching career in Doha?

Sorry, if this isn't the appropriate place to raise this query.
There have been quite a lot of posts from teachers so if you use the advanced search function you should find some useful stuff. There is also a sticky about the cost of living, Regular poster Victor Meldrew is a teacher so he'll be a good person to help (and he's also a nice chap.)

Good luck
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

salientstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ash786
My company transfer my salary monthly to my UK account as I dont have an account in Saudi. Same goes for any expenses that I claim back. Natwest charge me 7GBP per transaction irrespective of the value of the amount being transferred
Hi Ash,

I am in same situation like you as my Saudi employer transfers my salary to uk bank account. However I would like to check whether there could be any tax implication to this employment income when we will go back to UK. Can HMRC deduct any taxes from this money which is being remitted back to UK even though this is employment income and I am a non-uk resident. thanks.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 12:44 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by salientstar
Hi Ash,

I am in same situation like you as my Saudi employer transfers my salary to uk bank account. However I would like to check whether there could be any tax implication to this employment income when we will go back to UK. Can HMRC deduct any taxes from this money which is being remitted back to UK even though this is employment income and I am a non-uk resident. thanks.

It depends on your status and if you are UK non-resident for tax purposes then your overseas earnings should not be liable to UK income tax. You'll need to be aware that when it comes to partial tax years there could be a tax liability unless you remain UK non-resident for tax purposes for long enough for partial years not to be liable, which is five full tax years.

Note potential charges to days permitted in the UK due to the introduction of the Statutory Resideny Test.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

stoobb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

SAMBA transfer money directly to the UK for a set fee of 90 SR per transaction. The transfer can be done online and they also have a good app to check statements etc.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 7:58 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by stoobb
Thanks for the replies.

SAMBA transfer money directly to the UK for a set fee of 90 SR per transaction. The transfer can be done online and they also have a good app to check statements etc.
Don't forget to check the actual exchange rate you are getting as that is where the retail banks make the most money on currency transfers, not on a small transparent charge...
Old Apr 28th 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Meow
How much clearer can I make it?
Why not just post the name of the currency exchange you use instead (like everyone else does)?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dubaiguy2011
Why not just post the name of the currency exchange you use instead (like everyone else does)?
Commission on referrals ??
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

dubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of lightdubaiguy2011 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mogs
Commission on referrals ??
Surprised you didn't get banned for that comment.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

For those in Qatar banking with QNB First, I recently made a transfer from QAR to [somewhere else] and rang my personal banker who arranged a fantastic rate (far, far better than the ones quoted online) with only the usual 20Riyal fee. Saved me about 600quid all told. The rate he quoted me was literally within 0.001 of the quoted rates on XE.com.

Thought I'd share.