Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Transferring money

Transferring money

Old Aug 22nd 2016, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Izziestars is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring money

Hello all a family member living in UAE did an electronic bank transfer from their account in UAE to my account in the UK. This was on Saturday. It is now Monday and the money is still not in my account but has left my family members account. I've spoken to my bank (nay west) and they have said they don't know how long it could take and they can't see anything on their system that the money is at my account. I've contacted the family member who has yet to reply. But does anyone know how long transfers like this take. Many thanks
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money

Originally Posted by Izziestars
Hello all a family member living in UAE did an electronic bank transfer from their account in UAE to my account in the UK. This was on Saturday. It is now Monday and the money is still not in my account but has left my family members account. I've spoken to my bank (nay west) and they have said they don't know how long it could take and they can't see anything on their system that the money is at my account. I've contacted the family member who has yet to reply. But does anyone know how long transfers like this take. Many thanks
normally around 5 days - but that depends on the day it was sent from the UAE and the number of intermediaries.

Remember, sat and sun are non banking days. Monday is the first day that the transfer could have happened, don't start sniffing your undies until wed.

If you send on a thur afternoon, you can expect to wait up to around the wed before it clears in the UK, due to the weekends etc.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what Millhouse said. If it was transferred on a Saturday, I wouldn't expect it to hit the UK bank until around Weds.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
normally around 5 days - but that depends on the day it was sent from the UAE and the number of intermediaries.

Remember, sat and sun are non banking days. Monday is the first day that the transfer could have happened, don't start sniffing your undies until wed.

If you send on a thur afternoon, you can expect to wait up to around the wed before it clears in the UK, due to the weekends etc.
Sorry MILLY, but i have to kinda disagree, it can't take 5 working days?....i do international transfers all the time and at the maximum it should only take 3 working days....usually if you do a transfer before 3.30pm then the funds will get to the beneficiary by close of business the following day. Although i am talking about 'priority payments'.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
Sorry MILLY, but i have to kinda disagree, it can't take 5 working days?....i do international transfers all the time and at the maximum it should only take 3 working days....usually if you do a transfer before 3.30pm then the funds will get to the beneficiary by close of business the following day. Although i am talking about 'priority payments'.
I never said working days.

He sent on Sat - so that's 2 of the 5 done. Leaving 3 using my GCSE mafs - which makes it wed.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 5:12 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, we can do a test if you. Send me some cash. I'll tell you when it gets to me

We'll start large then progress to a smaller value. Maybe the value affects the speed, like fat people run slower than slimmer people. Right?
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
I think it also depends on currency. Five days is the norm for me, transferring from Saudi Riyals (SR) here, to a UK Sterling account.

Sending SR to SR internationally can be be done next day.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

When ever I transfer money from Qatar to the UK I make sure I do it on a day when both banks are open. That way it's normally there within a couple of hours.

If either (or both!) of the banks are closed it usually takes at least three working days (these are working days when BOTH banks are open).

So basically, only do it on Mon-Thurs if you're an impatient sod like me.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:09 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_Show
When ever I transfer money from Qatar to the UK I make sure I do it on a day when both banks are open. That way it's normally there within a couple of hours.

If either (or both!) of the banks are closed it usually takes at least three working days (these are working days when BOTH banks are open).

So basically, only do it on Mon-Thurs if you're an impatient sod like me.
I took would look like this if i had to wait 3 days to transfer money

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iggle
you'd look like the milky bar kid whose mum is refusing to tie his shoe laces.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by iggle

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-LPtGZjs6Qc/maxresdefault.jpg
Have you been stalking my Instagram?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not russian and my name's not Vladimir.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 7:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Big_Show
Have you been stalking my Instagram?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not russian and my name's not Vladimir.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Hawalla System is extremely quick!
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:16 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Hawalla System is extremely quick!
Most people dont like using it as they dont trust that system.
I use it all the time to be honest.
But my transactions are quite frequent (once a week) and I know all the guys involved and where they live and all so
by the way a bank to bank transfer if it is company to company and not a huge sum then its 3-5 working days always as usually banks on both sides have to go through an intermediary bank

and if it is an individual to individual account then a small transaction really doesnt raise any flags but a large amount like even 5000$ and 'they' tend to slow the whole process down. They might not call you asking why you want to send this money, but they just like to take their sweet time authorizing those transactions. Who are they and where do they sit? I dont know.
Why do they do it and why not all the time? I dont know.
But I do know that I have been called a couple of times by 'them' asking why was I sending the money and do I like to fly planes? Maybe it was my name that raised a flag...'Clint Eastwood'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.