Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Transfer money to UK - who's in the know?

Transfer money to UK - who's in the know?

Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice
Question Transfer money to UK - who's in the know?

Morning

I recall someone on here who is particularly good when it comes to moving money to the UK as they get better rates than the banks for larger amounts.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for info.

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer money to UK - who's in the know?

there are a couple of firms that do it..

a simple google search will do it.

I think you should be transferring around £10k or more to get the best rate available.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:14 am
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbies
Morning

I recall someone on here who is particularly good when it comes to moving money to the UK as they get better rates than the banks for larger amounts.

Cheers
Meow is the lady to ask.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Cheers Slingshot

I'd prefer to go via a known person on here that has given advice in the past rather than googling. Just a personal preference.

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on how much you are transferring. I just do a transfer every month from my account here to my account in the UK. Not big bucks (2k a month).
I realise that I'm probably not getting the best rates but it does it automatically and I'm lazy!! lol
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:43 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Hi There,

I think you are talking about Meow, where she spoke of wholesale rates for currency conversion for £10,000 or more.

Meow pointed me towards GCEN (www.gcen.co.uk). I have used them once and I would use them again.

Contact details below...

Direct Line: 00971 (0)50 854 1859
UK Head Office Tel: +44 (0) 1622 816940
Fax: +44 (0) 1622 812550
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.gcen.co.uk
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly63
I think you are talking about Meow, where she spoke of wholesale rates for currency conversion for £10,000 or more.
Wish I had 10k to transfer. Maybe I need to change jobs!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:54 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

I do a visa to visa transfer every month from Nbad to my UK bank account and it costs me only $5.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:18 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbies
Morning

Cheers
Meow or me can help....PM and I'll give you the details

N.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris79
It depends on how much you are transferring. I just do a transfer every month from my account here to my account in the UK. Not big bucks (2k a month).
I realise that I'm probably not getting the best rates but it does it automatically and I'm lazy!! lol

Hiya chris,

I need to send back a minimum of £2k back to UK, who do you use. We are opening an account with HSBC (they come to your home to do it, and yes i am being lazy!), it is cheaper with a bank or with one of these western transfer places where there is always bloody ques?! - yes i know lazy ......
Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
Hiya chris,

I need to send back a minimum of £2k back to UK, who do you use. We are opening an account with HSBC (they come to your home to do it, and yes i am being lazy!), it is cheaper with a bank or with one of these western transfer places where there is always bloody ques?! - yes i know lazy ......
I also bank with HSBC over here. I just set up a standing order with them to transfer the equivalent of 2k back to my TSB account in the uk. Never had any problem with it. As said before I probably don't get the best rate but I can't be bothered messing around and it's all done automatically for me.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:18 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

You know - it's not so much the fee - but the rate you can get.

MrsHaps - I thought your better half worked in a bank - there must be some deal going there surely?
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:19 pm
Now 15% less offensive

Originally Posted by Chris79
Wish I had 10k to transfer. Maybe I need to change jobs!
Maybe...

Last edited by NedKelly63; Jun 18th 2008 at 2:23 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Chesney Hawkes will become famous soon enoughChesney Hawkes will become famous soon enough

I recently used GCEN (Global Currency Exchange Network) to transfer a large chunk of money from the UK to the UAE and they were very helpful and got a good rate at no charge. The only charge incurred was transferring from my Lloyds account to their HSBC account.

Kaye Lui or Rebecca Hooton were the two girls who I dealt with and they were very good.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Fastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Chesney Hawkes
I recently used GCEN (Global Currency Exchange Network) to transfer a large chunk of money from the UK to the UAE and they were very helpful and got a good rate at no charge. The only charge incurred was transferring from my Lloyds account to their HSBC account.

Kaye Lui or Rebecca Hooton were the two girls who I dealt with and they were very good.

I am using them at the moment and my source bank is also LTSB offshore. You can circumvent the lloyds charges (and they do like to sting you!) by transferring the money online to GCEN's HSBC account (assuming you are set up for online banking). Only drawback is that maximum single transfer per day is £10K which means that if you are transferring more, you need to do a couple of 3 seperate transactions over the same number of days. Pretty straightforward all in all and much better value for money than using the banks....