Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Traffic Offfences - UAE

Traffic Offfences - UAE

Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traffic Offfences - UAE

Afternoon Bored!

I have a couple of speeding fines from last year, when I was notified about them (via sms), the text was from Dubai Police, half in english, half in arabic telling me there was a fine.

today, I got two sms from "UAE_Traffic" - "You have committed a traffic offence in Abu Dhabi on 23-01-2011, while driving vehicle# XXXX, you are kindly requested to observe the traffic rules" one was for the 23rd, the 2nd arrived saying 24th.

I logged onto the website to check my fines, and it's only showing the two from last year. Is this a warning do you think? or is it likely to be a fine that will appear on the website at a later date?

Also, I heard from someone on the compound that they sometimes discount the fines if you ask? Sounds a bit random, but it is the UAE, so does anyone know if that is the case, or is it a load of bollocks?

Brian
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:14 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traffic Offfences - UAE

I understand that if you pay on line you get a 50% discount, but only within a limited time of the offence.

I would find it suprising that, if having been observed offending, you don't end up with a fine. However, sounds like a good idea if it was an offence for which they don't have hard evidence--maybe they should issue them in Hindi too.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Casta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really nice
Default Re: Traffic Offfences - UAE

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I understand that if you pay on line you get a 50% discount, but only within a limited time of the offence.

I would find it suprising that, if having been observed offending, you don't end up with a fine. However, sounds like a good idea if it was an offence for which they don't have hard evidence--maybe they should issue them in Hindi too.
Fines don't always appear on the online system I have found.

Also it is not just online the 50% discount. It used to be you trundled down to the cop shop filled in a little form to have your case reviewed and then you'd get a discount. I did this last year having only just found out about it!

This time they are giving 50% without needing to fill in the paper. However, it is done on case by case basis. For e.g. a car caught doing 121 in a 100 zone netted a 300Dhs fine (was 600Dhs), other car caught doing 153 in a 100 zone netted a 450Dhs fine (was 900Dhs) and 6 points on the driving licence (maximum 24 points). If you have not re-offended within a year then the points are removed. Note if someone else is driving the car at the time of the offence it is still your licence (car owner) that gets the points!

I could be wrong but I guess it is a move to streamline bureaucracy (I noticed things were a lot more simplified this year) and also hit those where cash is not so much of an issue. Hence it is not so much a "discount" but a way of softening the blow (mentally) to those who get points on their licence (if you see what I mean).