Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Trading UK Shares as non UK Resident

Trading UK Shares as non UK Resident

Old Nov 25th 2020, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trading UK Shares as non UK Resident

Make your life easy and just get SWDA (£) or IWDA ($). If you're feeling fancy, throw in a bond tracker.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 9:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by csdf
Make your life easy and just get SWDA (£) or IWDA ($). If you're feeling fancy, throw in a bond tracker.
Bought something very similar by the looks of it. Couldn't wait so just went for it with a chunk on VWRL.
Will add the next chunk of money this weekend once I've figured out how much to leave as my emergency fund and once I have done more research. Going to start thinking of the balance with bonds as well. Thinking 80/20 (stocks/bonds) balance works well for the next few years whilst I'm still young(ish).
Old Nov 25th 2020, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Traditionally, you'd take 100 minus your age, or 110 minus your age, as your % in equity, the balance being in bonds. Then adjust for your personal risk tolerance and cash pile (the more cash you have, the less you strictly want to have in bonds). You can also look at one of the retirement funds for some guidance. For instance, https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual.../overview/0696 (pick your retirement timeline then look at the Portfolio & Management tab. I've noticed that these funds have swung more heavily into equities recently though as bond yields are so poor).

Last edited by csdf; Nov 25th 2020 at 12:30 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 5:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Traditionally, you'd take 100 minus your age, or 110 minus your age, as your % in equity, the balance being in bonds. Then adjust for your personal risk tolerance and cash pile (the more cash you have, the less you strictly want to have in bonds). You can also look at one of the retirement funds for some guidance. For instance, https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual.../overview/0696 (pick your retirement timeline then look at the Portfolio & Management tab. I've noticed that these funds have swung more heavily into equities recently though as bond yields are so poor).
Thanks for the link. Will look later today.

I was working on similar, I'm 32 so 80/20 is roughly right with the 110 or as I calculate - age as a % - 10. Same same.
Figured I'd adjust this every 5 years or so. The main thing I want to do now is get the % of savings as high as possible for a few years to really pack it in.
I've got the emergency money sorted, decided on a number last night, just need to look at the constantly moving wedding date for how much I want quick access to for that, there's not loads left to pay but certainly some.
The rest is getting put in.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps its not worth putting all your money into the 2 funds all at once but rather on a monthly, quarterly basis - which usually gives you a better long term return than dumping it all once

You should really do some back-testing over 5 yrs (ideally 10 yrs) and you will see the different returns you can get over funding on all at once vs month vs quarterly periods

In regards to your wedding (kudos btw) tell the Mrs she is lucky to get you and a chip buttie by the sea is as good as its going to get (i did that approach with Mrs UKCityGent and have the black eyes to prove it!)
Old Nov 26th 2020, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Some recent analysis of this has suggested that lump sum actually returns better than dollar-cost averaging. A bit of reading here for anyone that's interested: https://ofdollarsanddata.com/dollar-...g-vs-lump-sum/
Either way, unless you have gigantic balls of steel you might prefer DCA even if the returns are slightly lower, just to keep the internal demons of fear at bay.
Old Nov 26th 2020, 9:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Perhaps its not worth putting all your money into the 2 funds all at once but rather on a monthly, quarterly basis - which usually gives you a better long term return than dumping it all once

You should really do some back-testing over 5 yrs (ideally 10 yrs) and you will see the different returns you can get over funding on all at once vs month vs quarterly periods

In regards to your wedding (kudos btw) tell the Mrs she is lucky to get you and a chip buttie by the sea is as good as its going to get (i did that approach with Mrs UKCityGent and have the black eyes to prove it!)
I thought it was the other way round to be honest.
I'm intending on investing regularly - probably quarterly so I bank a bit each month to the side and invest in chunks like that.
My thinking about dumping what I've got now (minus the emergency fund and some wedding float) is that the other option is it continues to sit in an offshore current account going backwards.
On the wedding, we're going reasonably large, over a weekend, but with it being pushed once and about to be pushed again the money has gone in drips so no biggie.

Some recent analysis of this has suggested that lump sum actually returns better than dollar-cost averaging. A bit of reading here for anyone that's interested: https://ofdollarsanddata.com/dollar-...g-vs-lump-sum/
Either way, unless you have gigantic balls of steel you might prefer DCA even if the returns are slightly lower, just to keep the internal demons of fear at bay.
I'm looking at the initial investment as the start point, then quarterly to keep it growing. I think I read something similar to your link which is why I said I thought it was the way your link suggests.

Either way, I'll basically be doing both.
Old Mar 11th 2021, 5:39 am
Account Closed

Anyone holding any Gamestop shares for fun as well?
Old Mar 12th 2021, 7:07 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Wow there's quite some useful tips on this thread everyone.

So getting in on the action (and I'll start my own thread of I need to)
Old Mar 12th 2021, 8:27 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Anyone holding any Gamestop shares for fun as well?
I doubt anyone is holding any, it's all options rather than owning.
Old Mar 14th 2021, 5:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I doubt anyone is holding any, it's all options rather than owning.
I've got diamond hands full of them.
Old Mar 14th 2021, 6:43 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Wow there's quite some useful tips on this thread everyone.

So getting in on the action (and I'll start my own thread of I need to)
Sorry, the browser froze up on me while I was still writing and didnt realize it posted the first few words that I had typed already. So the question I was going to ask (without trying to hijack someone else's thread) was, are the investing options that are discussed on here open to non-British nationals? I have a valid NI no. and an address in the UK but no status. I would like to get into the markets in (or through) the UK and although I wish I used my ISA room when I was a tax resident once upon a time, I hope its still not too late to find ways to invest. So does anyone know about the investment opportunities available to foreign nationals or know of any sources where I can obtain such info?

Thanks.
Old Mar 14th 2021, 8:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Edo
Sorry, the browser froze up on me while I was still writing and didnt realize it posted the first few words that I had typed already. So the question I was going to ask (without trying to hijack someone else's thread) was, are the investing options that are discussed on here open to non-British nationals? I have a valid NI no. and an address in the UK but no status. I would like to get into the markets in (or through) the UK and although I wish I used my ISA room when I was a tax resident once upon a time, I hope its still not too late to find ways to invest. So does anyone know about the investment opportunities available to foreign nationals or know of any sources where I can obtain such info?

Thanks.
I don't know why you wouldn't be able to invest regardless of nationality?

My Interactive Brokers account is with me here under my UAE address and status, nothing linked to a UK address and I'm able to buy stocks/funds etc from anywhere in the world - I just focus on UK based as it makes some sense (also, think there are some tax things with the yank ones, but have never really looked into it).
Old Mar 14th 2021, 10:05 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I've got diamond hands full of them.
Yeah well WSB aside, to own the share you need to actually put up the price of the share. To have the option you only need to pay the premium (maybe a dollar or two)
Old Mar 14th 2021, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Yeah well WSB aside, to own the share you need to actually put up the price of the share. To have the option you only need to pay the premium (maybe a dollar or two)
All that matters is I cashed out a few of them to get all my money back and now hold a very small pot, waiting for them to go to the moon. Then I get a Breitling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.