Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Trading UK Shares as non UK Resident

Trading UK Shares as non UK Resident

Old Oct 27th 2020, 8:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Trading UK Shares as non UK Resident

Originally Posted by Pongo
Saints may be worth a punt this season.
Put a whopping fiver on the boys to finish top ten at the start.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
ID want proof of residential address which I don't have. Might be able to use work address but haven't changed that over since moving companies so is a slower process. It might make me tell the bank though, which I should really have done.
Won't be going anywhere near day-trading. If I'm going to gamble, I'll do it on football or horses or something more fun.

Interesting, might investigate.
If you bank with HSBC, you can change the address on your bank statements to anything you like. This way you can create an acceptable proof of residential address. Perhaps you can do this with other banks too.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by csdf
If you bank with HSBC, you can change the address on your bank statements to anything you like. This way you can create an acceptable proof of residential address. Perhaps you can do this with other banks too.
Oh, interesting. Thank you for that.
Old Nov 2nd 2020, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You'll all be glad to know I've survived, so far...and whilst at times I'm struggling to survive the idiots and politics, I managed to read that Expat Millionaire book in a few days and have decided the hard earned pennies shall no longer sit doing **** all.

Internaxx now appears to be part of swissquote and I've played that game before with residential address etc.
Interactive Brokers still seem a firm favourite so shall begin that process and see how we go.
I'm with Interactive Brokers, no issues with them for opening the account or ongoing. standing order in AED to their USD account, funds arrive same day or next working day. all set up based on the guidance in expat millionaire. for me, it's 85% IWDA, 15% IGIL. add the monthly money into whichever one has dipped beneath the allocation. simples.

join the SimplyFI group on facebook and have a search for Interactive Brokers set up and you'll find answers to pretty much any question you have!
Old Nov 2nd 2020, 8:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I'm with Interactive Brokers, no issues with them for opening the account or ongoing. standing order in AED to their USD account, funds arrive same day or next working day. all set up based on the guidance in expat millionaire. for me, it's 85% IWDA, 15% IGIL. add the monthly money into whichever one has dipped beneath the allocation. simples.

join the SimplyFI group on facebook and have a search for Interactive Brokers set up and you'll find answers to pretty much any question you have!
Thanks chief. I'm in that group and read the book too - need to re-read some parts but folded those corners.
It's partly my fault as I need to change my bank address, that should solve the lack of residential address evidence setting up an account. But I'll have a search in that group as well

Appreciate it.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp

Although ive never read the expat millionaire - have a look at Harry Brownes Permanent portfolio (PP). I think going forward with recessions looming the PP will provide a better balance (and probably lower drawdowns).

Old Nov 3rd 2020, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Scamp

Although ive never read the expat millionaire - have a look at Harry Brownes Permanent portfolio (PP). I think going forward with recessions looming the PP will provide a better balance (and probably lower drawdowns).
A 25% exposure to gold seems absolutely huge to me. You'd have to be terrified by both inflation and global catastrophe to be that strongly weighted.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

A 25% exposure to gold seems absolutely huge to me. You'd have to be terrified by both inflation and global catastrophe to be that strongly weighted.
You only purchase 25% of your total investment (e.g $2,500 out of $10,000) and rebalance monthly/quarterly. You could mix the commodities allocation with silver (using a ratio) but it still requires a 25% diversification for commodities.

Other tips/tricks is to use the secondary/minor indices rather than primary index for equities and bonds (use the FTSE 250 rather than the FTSE 100) for an additional alpha.

However do your own research / backtesting etc
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Sure, I get that. I just think 25% is a very unusual weighting; my own portfolio has 2% FWIW.
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

M
Traditionally peasants in France kept their wealth in Lous d'Or in a metal box buried in the garden. Might be a smart move - if you have a garden. Maybe just use gold jewellery dangling on your person ! (Discreetly) That seems to be the method favoured in the Sub-continent.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 6:47 am
Account Closed

I'm in. Interactive Brokers folded like a cheap suit when I bombarded them with documents.
I've funded the account quickly too and just starting some research on which ETFs to be buying into.

I need to get my other portfolio transferred over from Lloyds as well but not started thinking of that yet.

Here's to being a zillionaire next week.
Old Nov 24th 2020, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

What docs did you send in the end? I'm thinking of opening an account there.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 5:45 am
Account Closed

What docs did you send in the end? I'm thinking of opening an account there.
Basically, the issue was I have nothing in my name here with an address on because it's all in her name.

I sent a shitty email after they just replied saying the same thing - send us this or that.
They replied saying - send us a tenancy contract, explain your relationship with that person and give us their passport copy too.
Seemed to work, was opened a few days later and now there's money sat in it.

If you have a tenancy / DEWA bill / anything in your name at your address provided, I imagine it'll be a piece of piss.
Old Nov 25th 2020, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Congrats Scamp

Please tell me you didnt apply for the IBKR Lite app as you dont get the reduced commissions with that
Old Nov 25th 2020, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Congrats Scamp

Please tell me you didnt apply for the IBKR Lite app as you dont get the reduced commissions with that
I downloaded the app last night, but it's not 'Lite' or described that way, it seems to be fine and the faceID bit works well. I'm on an 'IBKR Pro' account but think that's just a normal one.
Got to get back to the research in that Hallam book for some guidance on which ETFs to go for. I crashed last night after work instead of doing it so might just leave until the weekend. Need to work out how much money to keep in a saver with really quick access to, or if I just invest everything in this and take out any for emergencies as needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.