British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   TRADESMEN? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/tradesmen-509139/)

MIKKER Jan 25th 2008 9:45 pm

TRADESMEN?

Hello everyone,i stumbled on this forum while googling construction jobs in Dubai. Due to a sudden downturn in the house building industry my curiosity has got the better of me and i have been researching job opportunities in the middle east.I have a trade background as a joiner but have been in managment for the last 7 years,although im always busy at weekends ect and was lucky enough 3 years ago to procure a plot of land and build my own house,before my 30th birthday.
Anyway i was wondering as thier is always loads of managment positions on offer where does the actual trade labour come from,is it all local?,Are middle eastern tradesmen any good?Is there any opportunities for western trade labour in the middle east?.
Thanks for any replies and look forward to chatting to you all.
Mick

Madam Medusa Jan 26th 2008 3:17 am

Re: TRADESMEN?

Originally Posted by MIKKER (Post 5839790)
Hello everyone,i stumbled on this forum while googling construction jobs in Dubai. Due to a sudden downturn in the house building industry my curiosity has got the better of me and i have been researching job opportunities in the middle east.I have a trade background as a joiner but have been in managment for the last 7 years,although im always busy at weekends ect and was lucky enough 3 years ago to procure a plot of land and build my own house,before my 30th birthday.
Anyway i was wondering as thier is always loads of managment positions on offer where does the actual trade labour come from,is it all local?,Are middle eastern tradesmen any good?Is there any opportunities for western trade labour in the middle east?.
Thanks for any replies and look forward to chatting to you all.
Mick

hi mick...all the labour here is from asia (pakistan, india and philippines). The men are paid peanuts and live in grim labour camps - so no opportunities for western trade labour here.

As for management positions, i am sure there must be hundreds...do a search on here and check wiki at the top, where there is more info and details on recruitment agencies etc. There are some people on here who work in the industry too so i'm sure they will be able to give you more advice...

MM, xx

MIKKER Jan 26th 2008 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5840624)
hi mick...all the labour here is from asia (pakistan, india and philippines). The men are paid peanuts and live in grim labour camps - so no opportunities for western trade labour here.

As for management positions, i am sure there must be hundreds...do a search on here and check wiki at the top, where there is more info and details on recruitment agencies etc. There are some people on here who work in the industry too so i'm sure they will be able to give you more advice...

MM, xx

THANKS MM

Bob Jan 26th 2008 2:34 pm

and check out the other reason threads, was two or three of them over the last couple weeks on the subject.

good luck and welcome to BE :)