Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tourists and Driving

Tourists and Driving

Old Mar 13th 2016, 7:58 am
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of
Default Tourists and Driving

Can a British tourist with a UK driver's license legally drive my car in Dubai? They cannot be added to the policy without a local license but RSA is assuring me they will be covered should anything happen. Not really filling me with confidence and I'm getting lots of conflicting advice elsewhere.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourists and Driving

No.

A tourist can rent a car with a UK license but cannot drive a locally owned private car.

Interestingly enough, someone with a residency visa cannot drive in the UAE without a local license, even if the person holds a UK driver's license. As you can imagine this exposes a grey area for most expats as there's always an overlap between obtaining their visa and local license whilst still driving a rental car with a rental agreement based on their home country license. It's technically illegal

Originally Posted by kungpowdow
Can a British tourist with a UK driver's license legally drive my car in Dubai? They cannot be added to the policy without a local license but RSA is assuring me they will be covered should anything happen. Not really filling me with confidence and I'm getting lots of conflicting advice elsewhere.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 9:33 am
Bothered

kungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud ofkungpowdow has much to be proud of

Thanks for responding. I'm now being told if my visitor applies for an International Driving Permit in the UK then they can drive a privately owned car here with permission. Again, I cannot find a single source to verify this. I cant really see why such an easily attainable permit would make a difference.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Call your insurance and ask them to e-mail you that it's ok.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pongo
Call your insurance and ask them to e-mail you that it's ok.
get it in writing and then you are covered
Old Mar 13th 2016, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
get it in writing and then you are covered
but make sure it's from the insurer, not the broker that sold the policy to you!
Old Mar 13th 2016, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Axa told me, in writing (email), that a Brit with a full British licence may drive my car while visiting on a tourist visa. This was approx 5 years ago, so might have changed. The rule about needing a UAE licence as soon as you have a residency visa has always been the case, which was why I was advised to go down the licencing office the same afternoon that my first UAE visa was issued (and to take a taxi).

That being said, I have also been led to believe that just because the insurer says you are covered does not automatically mean that the police will agree, but I have no idea how you get them to answer this question... It does come up, year after year, and I've never seen that bit answered.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

It is down to your insurance company. Ask them.