British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Tourists and Driving (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/tourists-driving-874216/)

kungpowdow Mar 13th 2016 7:58 am

Tourists and Driving

Can a British tourist with a UK driver's license legally drive my car in Dubai? They cannot be added to the policy without a local license but RSA is assuring me they will be covered should anything happen. Not really filling me with confidence and I'm getting lots of conflicting advice elsewhere.

DXBtoDOH Mar 13th 2016 9:02 am

Re: Tourists and Driving

No.

A tourist can rent a car with a UK license but cannot drive a locally owned private car.

Interestingly enough, someone with a residency visa cannot drive in the UAE without a local license, even if the person holds a UK driver's license. As you can imagine this exposes a grey area for most expats as there's always an overlap between obtaining their visa and local license whilst still driving a rental car with a rental agreement based on their home country license. It's technically illegal :sneaky:

Originally Posted by kungpowdow (Post 11894006)
Can a British tourist with a UK driver's license legally drive my car in Dubai? They cannot be added to the policy without a local license but RSA is assuring me they will be covered should anything happen. Not really filling me with confidence and I'm getting lots of conflicting advice elsewhere.

kungpowdow Mar 13th 2016 9:33 am

Thanks for responding. I'm now being told if my visitor applies for an International Driving Permit in the UK then they can drive a privately owned car here with permission. Again, I cannot find a single source to verify this. I cant really see why such an easily attainable permit would make a difference.

Pongo Mar 13th 2016 12:41 pm

Call your insurance and ask them to e-mail you that it's ok.

mission Mar 13th 2016 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pongo (Post 11894112)
Call your insurance and ask them to e-mail you that it's ok.

:goodpost: get it in writing and then you are covered

Brains1983 Mar 13th 2016 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 11894154)
:goodpost: get it in writing and then you are covered

but make sure it's from the insurer, not the broker that sold the policy to you!

archie159 Mar 13th 2016 2:30 pm

Axa told me, in writing (email), that a Brit with a full British licence may drive my car while visiting on a tourist visa. This was approx 5 years ago, so might have changed. The rule about needing a UAE licence as soon as you have a residency visa has always been the case, which was why I was advised to go down the licencing office the same afternoon that my first UAE visa was issued (and to take a taxi).

That being said, I have also been led to believe that just because the insurer says you are covered does not automatically mean that the police will agree, but I have no idea how you get them to answer this question... It does come up, year after year, and I've never seen that bit answered.

al dente Mar 14th 2016 4:03 am

It is down to your insurance company. Ask them.