Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tourist visa for UK passport holders

Tourist visa for UK passport holders

Old May 21st 2016, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Sue_M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tourist visa for UK passport holders

Anyone had any recent experience with tourist visas for UK passport holders? I know the rules have changed recently.

My parents arrived 24 April and leave 29 May ....... more than the usual 30 day tourist visa. They have a normal entry stamp in their passports dated 24 April and nothing more. You used to get a second stamp which basically said you can remain for 30 days.

I am assuming they still have 30 days and therefore we would need to do a visa run on 23 May. Does anyone know if this is a safe assumption?

Thanks
Old May 22nd 2016, 2:42 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist visa for UK passport holders

I am guessing from your profile that you are talking about Abu Dhabi.

My understanding is that there are new rules in UAE. After your 30 day stay you cannot renew without exiting the country and, I believe there may be a set number of days before you can return.

You used to get people doing 'visa runs' renewing 30 day visas over a period of time but this has been stopped as people were doing this and working during this period in UAE

Somebody else may have more up to date advice.
Old May 22nd 2016, 8:00 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue_M
Anyone had any recent experience with tourist visas for UK passport holders? I know the rules have changed recently.

My parents arrived 24 April and leave 29 May ....... more than the usual 30 day tourist visa. They have a normal entry stamp in their passports dated 24 April and nothing more. You used to get a second stamp which basically said you can remain for 30 days.

I am assuming they still have 30 days and therefore we would need to do a visa run on 23 May. Does anyone know if this is a safe assumption?

Thanks
I don't think so - see Visa Run with Go Tours - News and Events etc. They do bus trips to renew visas.
Old May 22nd 2016, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Brook is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
I don't think so - see Visa Run with Go Tours - News and Events etc. They do bus trips to renew visas.
EU passport holders are now granted a multiple entry ‘on arrival visit visa. It’s valid for six months from the date of arrival in the UAE, and for a total stay of 90 days. Unfortunately am not sure when it began.
Old May 22nd 2016, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brook
EU passport holders are now granted a multiple entry ‘on arrival visit visa. It’s valid for six months from the date of arrival in the UAE, and for a total stay of 90 days. Unfortunately am not sure when it began.
I smell nonsense...
Old May 23rd 2016, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Schenegan passport holders get 90 day visa (multiple visits within a 180 day period). The UK is not part of the Schenegan (EU) scheme so for us it is still visa on arrival.

You can only renew the visa on arrival in the 9 days grace period after it has expired.
Old May 25th 2016, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Sue_M is an unknown quantity at this point

So we went to the Al Jizi border in Al Ain on day 30.......no issues at all, quick and easy. My parents now have a new UAE visa dated 23 May.
Old May 25th 2016, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I got through from HR today.

Dear colleagues,

Please find below details of new visa regulations with regards to entrance into the United Arab Emirates.

UAE Immigration Update

1. Residents of Gulf Cooperation Council countries Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and Saudi Arabia will require to apply for an online e-visa prior to their arrival to the UAE.

The changes will apply to both air and land travellers and those who do not have an e-visa will be turned away. Please find the link to apply for an e-visa
https://www.gdrfa.ae/GCCIND/gccLogin...witchToEnglish

2. Citizens of 46 countries including the United Kingdom, United States and European Union countries, will still be granted a visa-on-arrival.

Americans and British nationals will be granted a visa-on-arrival which is valid for 30 days stay and can be extended for another 30 days in country.

European Union Nationals (excluding British Nationals) will be granted a visa-on-arrival which is valid for 90 days stay within a period of 6 months (180 days):
- A EU visitor can stay 90 days continuously in UAE and is required to exit for another 90 days before re-entering UAE.
- A EU visitor can elect to have multiple entries to UAE during the 180 days period, provided the total stay in the country does not exceed 90 days.