Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

totally touristic questions

totally touristic questions

Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

briwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nice
Default totally touristic questions

Am popping over from the Australia forum - not moving to UAE, just coming on holiday but have a couple of questions hoping you guys could answer if you don't mind.

1) Does Abu Dhabi airport have luggage storage?
2) Is there such a thing as a nice hotel in Abu Dhabi for a short stay around the US$150 a night - just need a stop off before a flight. Currently booked at Intercontinental but have to reduce hotel costs as just added them all up! Any recommendations?
3) Following on from last question, have my eye on the One and Only or the Madinat when in Dubai - but are they really worth the cash?
Is there anything in that area for around US$300 a night I should look at. I like 'nice' hotels (Hong Kong Intercontinental, Pan Pacific Singapore are regular haunts) but don't need mega luxury!
4) Finally, flying in from Cairo at about 6pm one evening, is it easy enough to take bus direct to Dubai (we're flying Etihad) or should we stopover the night in Ab D - we will already have had 3 days there prior so no need for sightseeing?

Any advice gratefully received - and please feel free to bombard me with questions about Sydney or Auckland in return.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:12 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: totally touristic questions

Not too sure about most of the hotel questions etc but I would take a taxi from AD to Dubai instead of the bus. It's not too expensive, especially if there's more than one of you, and much more convenient and quicker.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by briwi
Am popping over from the Australia forum - not moving to UAE, just coming on holiday but have a couple of questions hoping you guys could answer if you don't mind.

2) Is there such a thing as a nice hotel in Abu Dhabi for a short stay around the US$150 a night - just need a stop off before a flight. Currently booked at Intercontinental but have to reduce hotel costs as just added them all up! Any recommendations?
3) Following on from last question, have my eye on the One and Only or the Madinat when in Dubai - but are they really worth the cash?
Is there anything in that area for around US$300 a night I should look at. I like 'nice' hotels (Hong Kong Intercontinental, Pan Pacific Singapore are regular haunts) but don't need mega luxury!
4) Finally, flying in from Cairo at about 6pm one evening, is it easy enough to take bus direct to Dubai (we're flying Etihad) or should we stopover the night in Ab D - we will already have had 3 days there prior so no need for sightseeing?

Any advice gratefully received - and please feel free to bombard me with questions about Sydney or Auckland in return.
For its worth...
1) Don't know
2) Don't know about near the airport, but we use the officers club near the exhibition centre, and if i know my firm, it will one of the cheapest around! It is not convenient at all for AD city though.
3) are they worth the cash, well that depends on how much US$300 matters to you. I think the One and Only is a nice place to stay (ask Robbie Williams) because it is more stylish and classy than anything else (in my humble opinion). The Madinat features a number of different hotels, if you get a villa in Al Qasr then it's lovely, Mina Salaam is nice too, but given the choice I would go with the Royal Mirage (one and only). The Kempinski Mall of the Emirates is 5 minutes from the Madinat and cheaper, and the holiday inn in knowledge village is ideal if you just want somewhere to lay your head and spend the cash you save on something else.
4)The Etihad bus from AD airport is actually very good - comfy and gets you there in very good time. It has always been free for me (when you buy a ticket to Dubai) but not sure if you can just hop on if your ticket is AD.
Enjoy,
CH
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:39 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Knowledge Village a couple of months back when I was yacht racing at Mina Seyahi and was really happy with it. Rooms were good and the breakfast was good- the only 2 things I care about!

Didn't know about the airport bus, been a while...............!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=briwi;6630161]Am popping over from the Australia forum - not moving to UAE, just coming on holiday but have a couple of questions hoping you guys could answer if you don't mind.

Where's busy bee - she'll sort your itinerary out..........
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

someone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
Not too sure about most of the hotel questions etc but I would take a taxi from AD to Dubai instead of the bus. It's not too expensive, especially if there's more than one of you, and much more convenient and quicker.
agree with that.