British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Top 10 reasons to live in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/top-10-reasons-live-abu-dhabi-587838/)

u717696 Jan 29th 2009 8:56 am

Top 10 reasons to live in Abu Dhabi

:) Hi everyone, I move to AD tomorrow and only slightly :ohmy: myself. Could do with some reassurance that I've done the right thing. If you get a chance, what are the benefits :thumbsup: of living in AD, lifestyle wise? Thanks

niddy Jan 29th 2009 9:01 am

Re: Top 10 reasons to live in Abu Dhabi

Number One: It isn't Dubai!

Grace O Malley Jan 29th 2009 9:14 am

number two: it isn't Dubai

Grace O Malley Jan 29th 2009 9:14 am

Originally Posted by u717696 (Post 7224870)
:) Hi everyone, I move to AD tomorrow and only slightly :ohmy: myself. Could do with some reassurance that I've done the right thing. If you get a chance, what are the benefits :thumbsup: of living in AD, lifestyle wise? Thanks

um what industry are you in?

Tillybean Jan 29th 2009 9:23 am

Hi and welcome to Abu Dhabi. Kind of late in the day to be hoping for reassurance as you are arriving tomorrow, but hey ho!!

1. Its quieter than Dubai
2. You can drive from one side of the island to the other in around 15 minutes if you go along the Corniche - although the new roadworks on Salam and near Abu Dhabi mall are awful
3. The public beach is very nice
4. Marina Mall is a good shopping centre with the usual shops, some high end ones, bowling alley, cinema and a sort-of ski dome thing (no snow in it...no idea when/if there will be snow)
5. Dubai is only an hour or so away so good to go and come back from if you want Bright Lights/Big City
6. The Corniche is great for strolling along
7. The Shangri-La and Souq are fab
8. Some nice parks dotted around
9. Bars and restaurants are okay
10. Its not Dubai!

Grace O Malley Jan 29th 2009 9:36 am

Are u married, got kids, what are you into and we can give you the low down.

Welcome to BE, more and more ADhabians every day, yey!

admon Jan 29th 2009 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Tillybean (Post 7224954)
Hi and welcome to Abu Dhabi. Kind of late in the day to be hoping for reassurance as you are arriving tomorrow, but hey ho!!

2. You can drive from one side of the island to the other in around 15 minutes if you go along the Corniche - although the new roadworks on Salam and near Abu Dhabi mall are awful
4. Marina Mall is a good shopping centre with the usual shops, some high end ones, bowling alley, cinema and a sort-of ski dome thing (no snow in it...no idea when/if there will be snow)
5. Dubai is only an hour or so away so good to go and come back from if you want Bright Lights/Big City
10. Its not Dubai!

so the sum of things nice about abu dhabi..
its quiet (apart from the busy bits)
it has some bars and restaurants
it has a shopping mall
you can stroll along the corniche (for a few months a year)

and dubai would be a bad choice?

lionheart Jan 29th 2009 10:02 am

If you are out driving, you are more likely to come across Beardman than Bison.:p

Grace O Malley Jan 29th 2009 10:09 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7225071)
If you are out driving, you are more likely to come across Beardman than Bison.:p

ah funny!

commander Jan 29th 2009 11:24 am

did you do any research on this lifechanging move?

ooops obviously not

weescot Jan 29th 2009 12:08 pm

The corniche alone make Abu Dhabi a great place to live - fantastic recreational space 9/10 months a year - spotless/child play areas/beach, running/walking/cycling/public fireworks display area/accessible event venue (power boat/red bull air race et all). corniche also allows me to commute to work the entire length of the island in 10 mins - even with Salam street closures. Oh and a great view!

The rest that AD offers is just essential and pleasant enough trimmings to while away few tax free earning years .... You'll enjoy it I am sure :)

u717696 Jan 29th 2009 1:03 pm

Thanks everyone. Research? Nope, didn't do any. Work in the airline industry - HR. Coming alone (at the moment). Up for the adventure and will make it work. Sometimes best not to do too much research and just get on with it. Sounds like accomm is a nightmare but luckily job comes with package so no need to worry there, (I think). Reasonable offer which has enabled me to pretty much pack up a few bags and just turn up. Took a voluntary redundancy package here in the UK and kinda want to get away from all the doom and gloom, although I am sure the media are making things worse than they actually are. Up for making the most of my time in AD and doing stuff I wouldn't normally have done in the UK. New adventures and all that. Will say 'yes' to pretty much anything (yeah, read the book and seen the movie...). Thanks for your help :cool:

klaus3974 Jan 29th 2009 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by u717696 (Post 7225694)
Thanks everyone. Research? Nope, didn't do any. Work in the airline industry - HR. Coming alone (at the moment). Up for the adventure and will make it work. Sometimes best not to do too much research and just get on with it. Sounds like accomm is a nightmare but luckily job comes with package so no need to worry there, (I think). Reasonable offer which has enabled me to pretty much pack up a few bags and just turn up. Took a voluntary redundancy package here in the UK and kinda want to get away from all the doom and gloom, although I am sure the media are making things worse than they actually are. Up for making the most of my time in AD and doing stuff I wouldn't normally have done in the UK. New adventures and all that. Will say 'yes' to pretty much anything (yeah, read the book and seen the movie...). Thanks for your help :cool:

Karma for you:D !!! That is the way to go!!!

Alen1 Jan 29th 2009 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by u717696 (Post 7225694)

As Klaus has intimated: your attitude will take you a long way!

busybee2 Jan 29th 2009 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tillybean (Post 7224954)

10. Its not Dubai!

the snow dome was meant to be open in september a year ago, i asked the security guard "which year"? they are having problems with the ice machine, its getting too icey and now i think there is contractual problems as well.

seraphnina Jan 30th 2009 3:25 pm

You can visit all the malls in one day.

benzonar Jan 30th 2009 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7226335)
the snow dome was meant to be open in september a year ago, i asked the security guard "which year"? they are having problems with the ice machine, its getting too icey and now i think there is contractual problems as well.

Yeah but to be honest the ski slope is about the same size as the ramps I used to build when I was a kid so I could jump over them with my Raleigh Grifter.

busybee2 Jan 30th 2009 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 7230018)
Yeah but to be honest the ski slope is about the same size as the ramps I used to build when I was a kid so I could jump over them with my Raleigh Grifter.

yeh know what you mean:eek: