Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Top 10 reasons to live in Abu Dhabi

Top 10 reasons to live in Abu Dhabi

Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:56 am
Just Joined

u717696 is on a distinguished road
Question Top 10 reasons to live in Abu Dhabi

Hi everyone, I move to AD tomorrow and only slightly myself. Could do with some reassurance that I've done the right thing. If you get a chance, what are the benefits of living in AD, lifestyle wise? Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

niddy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Top 10 reasons to live in Abu Dhabi

Number One: It isn't Dubai!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

number two: it isn't Dubai
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by u717696
Hi everyone, I move to AD tomorrow and only slightly myself. Could do with some reassurance that I've done the right thing. If you get a chance, what are the benefits of living in AD, lifestyle wise? Thanks
um what industry are you in?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and welcome to Abu Dhabi. Kind of late in the day to be hoping for reassurance as you are arriving tomorrow, but hey ho!!

1. Its quieter than Dubai
2. You can drive from one side of the island to the other in around 15 minutes if you go along the Corniche - although the new roadworks on Salam and near Abu Dhabi mall are awful
3. The public beach is very nice
4. Marina Mall is a good shopping centre with the usual shops, some high end ones, bowling alley, cinema and a sort-of ski dome thing (no snow in it...no idea when/if there will be snow)
5. Dubai is only an hour or so away so good to go and come back from if you want Bright Lights/Big City
6. The Corniche is great for strolling along
7. The Shangri-La and Souq are fab
8. Some nice parks dotted around
9. Bars and restaurants are okay
10. Its not Dubai!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Are u married, got kids, what are you into and we can give you the low down.

Welcome to BE, more and more ADhabians every day, yey!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tillybean
Hi and welcome to Abu Dhabi. Kind of late in the day to be hoping for reassurance as you are arriving tomorrow, but hey ho!!

2. You can drive from one side of the island to the other in around 15 minutes if you go along the Corniche - although the new roadworks on Salam and near Abu Dhabi mall are awful
4. Marina Mall is a good shopping centre with the usual shops, some high end ones, bowling alley, cinema and a sort-of ski dome thing (no snow in it...no idea when/if there will be snow)
5. Dubai is only an hour or so away so good to go and come back from if you want Bright Lights/Big City
10. Its not Dubai!
so the sum of things nice about abu dhabi..
its quiet (apart from the busy bits)
it has some bars and restaurants
it has a shopping mall
you can stroll along the corniche (for a few months a year)

and dubai would be a bad choice?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:02 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are out driving, you are more likely to come across Beardman than Bison.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lionheart
If you are out driving, you are more likely to come across Beardman than Bison.
ah funny!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:24 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

did you do any research on this lifechanging move?

ooops obviously not
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

The corniche alone make Abu Dhabi a great place to live - fantastic recreational space 9/10 months a year - spotless/child play areas/beach, running/walking/cycling/public fireworks display area/accessible event venue (power boat/red bull air race et all). corniche also allows me to commute to work the entire length of the island in 10 mins - even with Salam street closures. Oh and a great view!

The rest that AD offers is just essential and pleasant enough trimmings to while away few tax free earning years .... You'll enjoy it I am sure
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

u717696 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. Research? Nope, didn't do any. Work in the airline industry - HR. Coming alone (at the moment). Up for the adventure and will make it work. Sometimes best not to do too much research and just get on with it. Sounds like accomm is a nightmare but luckily job comes with package so no need to worry there, (I think). Reasonable offer which has enabled me to pretty much pack up a few bags and just turn up. Took a voluntary redundancy package here in the UK and kinda want to get away from all the doom and gloom, although I am sure the media are making things worse than they actually are. Up for making the most of my time in AD and doing stuff I wouldn't normally have done in the UK. New adventures and all that. Will say 'yes' to pretty much anything (yeah, read the book and seen the movie...). Thanks for your help
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone. Research? Nope, didn't do any. Work in the airline industry - HR. Coming alone (at the moment). Up for the adventure and will make it work. Sometimes best not to do too much research and just get on with it. Sounds like accomm is a nightmare but luckily job comes with package so no need to worry there, (I think). Reasonable offer which has enabled me to pretty much pack up a few bags and just turn up. Took a voluntary redundancy package here in the UK and kinda want to get away from all the doom and gloom, although I am sure the media are making things worse than they actually are. Up for making the most of my time in AD and doing stuff I wouldn't normally have done in the UK. New adventures and all that. Will say 'yes' to pretty much anything (yeah, read the book and seen the movie...). Thanks for your help
Karma for you !!! That is the way to go!!!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

As Klaus has intimated: your attitude will take you a long way!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tillybean

10. Its not Dubai!
the snow dome was meant to be open in september a year ago, i asked the security guard "which year"? they are having problems with the ice machine, its getting too icey and now i think there is contractual problems as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.