British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Tips for removal to Doha? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/tips-removal-doha-480237/)

ralf Sep 10th 2007 4:41 pm

Tips for removal to Doha?

Could anybody give me some tips regarding our removal from Bristol, UK to Doha in October - experiences with removal companies, prices etc. We are thinking of hiring a container (20'), as we (2 adults, 1 child, 1 dog) have quite a bit of stuff. Thanks in advance for your help.

Fairydust Sep 10th 2007 4:47 pm

Re: Tips for removal to Doha?

Originally Posted by ralf (Post 5294900)
Could anybody give me some tips regarding our removal from Bristol, UK to Doha in October - experiences with removal companies, prices etc. We are thinking of hiring a container (20'), as we (2 adults, 1 child, 1 dog) have quite a bit of stuff. Thanks in advance for your help.

Basically just put everying on it you can !!!!!!!!!!

Miss Eck Sep 10th 2007 5:21 pm

Crown Relocation seem quite popular and I believe their prices are pretty competitive.

Make the most of Bristol before you leave. I used to live just off the Wells Road and really miss the scenery around Bristol.

Do you need any info on moving your dog? Or do you have it all in hand?

lionheart Sep 11th 2007 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 5295048)
Crown Relocation seem quite popular and I believe their prices are pretty competitive.

Make the most of Bristol before you leave. I used to live just off the Wells Road and really miss the scenery around Bristol.

Do you need any info on moving your dog? Or do you have it all in hand?

Another Bristolian here...went to school at QEH and lived in Horfield...many fond memories, but sadly it has changed now, too much traffic congestion and parking meters everywhere.

Miss Eck Sep 11th 2007 10:34 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5296769)
Another Bristolian here...went to school at QEH and lived in Horfield...many fond memories, but sadly it has changed now, too much traffic congestion and parking meters everywhere.

Hi! Not actually a Bristolian but I love it there. Still kept my house there and love going back. I am missing the Severn Shed and Riverstation. It's good to watch Casualty for the scenery! Yeah the traffic is a pain though.

Mariah Sep 11th 2007 11:44 am

Have a look this => http://www.excess-baggage.com/
When I came to Doha last year, i asked this company.
Price was .... Oh, one 20 feet container?? Sorry, no idea...

justin riseborough Sep 11th 2007 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 5297550)
Hi! Not actually a Bristolian but I love it there. Still kept my house there and love going back. I am missing the Severn Shed and Riverstation. It's good to watch Casualty for the scenery! Yeah the traffic is a pain though.

From Colchester, but my link to Bristol is that Leeds play there Friday night and hope they win.

With regards to the dog as mentioned earlier, if you need any info on that one give us a shout, as we moved four cats with us to Oman, could give you the number of a company that is probably available throughout the UK

kirstyp Sep 11th 2007 12:49 pm

Hi!

We ship regularly to the Gulf States and I would suggest you would be looking in the region of approximately £4000 for a full 20ft container of personal effects to Doha.

Hope that helps, if you need any more info just ask!

Kirsty :)

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Sep 11th 2007 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 5294921)
Basically just put everying on it you can !!!!!!!!!!

I agree with this, more so than many other destinations. Good quality, up to date technology is not cheap or easy to come by in Doha so take everything you want to have.

If you're readers, stock up.

silentpartner Sep 12th 2007 10:05 pm

hi and good luck with your move. we moved there last year from sydney and we used Crown. very professional but at doha port things were not so good. the asian games were on and there were huge backlogs of cargo. that is no longer the case. be prepared for your dvd collection to be taken away and screened. they will all be returned undamaged. same for family videos and dvds and movies. our goods came out of cartons they were not placed in as customs officials are not too concerned with packing things back. we also had a weeks supply of fine desert sand that accompanied the shoes coming out of cookware cartons!! nothing was lost or broken and i think that is the main point. enjoy your stay. doha is great in its own laid back sleepy sort of way. i liked it. good luck.

ralf Sep 16th 2007 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by silentpartner (Post 5304259)
hi and good luck with your move. we moved there last year from sydney and we used Crown. very professional but at doha port things were not so good. the asian games were on and there were huge backlogs of cargo. that is no longer the case. be prepared for your dvd collection to be taken away and screened. they will all be returned undamaged. same for family videos and dvds and movies. our goods came out of cartons they were not placed in as customs officials are not too concerned with packing things back. we also had a weeks supply of fine desert sand that accompanied the shoes coming out of cookware cartons!! nothing was lost or broken and i think that is the main point. enjoy your stay. doha is great in its own laid back sleepy sort of way. i liked it. good luck.

Thanks for the tips.

Ralf

ralf Sep 16th 2007 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles (Post 5298103)
I agree with this, more so than many other destinations. Good quality, up to date technology is not cheap or easy to come by in Doha so take everything you want to have.

Than you for your comments!

Ralf

ralf Sep 16th 2007 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by kirstyp (Post 5297992)
Hi!

We ship regularly to the Gulf States and I would suggest you would be looking in the region of approximately £4000 for a full 20ft container of personal effects to Doha.

Hope that helps, if you need any more info just ask!

Kirsty :)

Thanks for the information.

Ralf

ralf Sep 16th 2007 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by justin riseborough (Post 5297760)
From Colchester, but my link to Bristol is that Leeds play there Friday night and hope they win.

With regards to the dog as mentioned earlier, if you need any info on that one give us a shout, as we moved four cats with us to Oman, could give you the number of a company that is probably available throughout the UK

Thanks!

ralf Sep 16th 2007 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles (Post 5298103)

thanks for the tip!

Ralf