Tipping in Dubai.

Old May 11th 2016, 8:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Tipping in Dubai.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Us lot in New Zealand don't get out much.

Last time Mr BEVS had a few days in Dubai was seven years ago.

He says that taxi drivers seem to expect a tip but he wouldn't give one to the taxi driver that got him lost.
I just round up the cabs. Only very rarely will I ask for every dirham back - and normally only because they've driven like an absolute lunatic, especially if they've been politely asked to slow down.
Old May 11th 2016, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a different place. I was first here in 2008 and even since then the change has been tremendous.

You were in Dubai before any of the big malls were built. Before ski Dubai. When the Marina was just a hole in the ground. Before Madinat Jumeirah. Before all of Downtown and Burj Khalifa. Before the metro. Before the Palm. When the beaches were still fairly unspoilt and quiet and the towers along Sheikh Zayed were restricted to between Trade Centre and Defence Roundabouts. When people still went to Deira to dine and shop.

I suspect what you'll find different is not only is it a much bigger and busier city, it'll feel far less "Middle Eastern" and much more bling bling. Very bling bling. Extremely bling bling.

Do come back here and tell us of your experiences.

I'm sure it's also more expensive but it doesn't have to be expensive. Some of the best eats in this town are still the Arabic/Lebanese and Indian food. If you're staying Deira side, I strongly recommend Aroos Damascus for fantastic cheap as chips Lebanese/Syrian.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Other than all the building than has gone on since we were last there, what else has changed? Is it a lot more expensive than it was? Probably much busier I would expect.

I'm looking forward to the gobsmacking

Jolly kind of you to call me a lady, OH might dispute that
Old May 11th 2016, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
good lad - they also really appreciate a coke and a packet of crisps if you go into the shop. more than the money.
MILL, never thought of doing that, thanks for pointing that out. I do always tip the guys at the station...horrible job they have.

Last edited by mission; May 11th 2016 at 9:38 am.
Old May 11th 2016, 9:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mission
MILL, never thought of doing that, thanks for pointing that out. I do always tip the guys at the station...horrible job they have.
I once asked a cabbie if he wanted "a bottle or water or something" when we stopped for me to get cash and change....his response; "No. Get me Red Bull".

I thought; you cheeky bugger, but fair play. Red Bull it is.
Old May 11th 2016, 10:19 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I just round up the cabs. Only very rarely will I ask for every dirham back - and normally only because they've driven like an absolute lunatic, especially if they've been politely asked to slow down.
"Here's a tip - don't drive like a twat and you'll make more money!"
Old May 11th 2016, 10:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. We'd rather not carry too much cash around.

Nobu looks amazing

No one will mug you for cash here.

Where are you staying? Getting to some places can be a bit of a pig early evening so it easier to avoid certain trips then.

I am not a fan of Atlantis (where Nobu is) as it's mostly full of TOWIE wannabes but there are dozens of excellent restaurants in all price ranges. Nobu has good food but I can recommend other very good Japanese places.
Old May 11th 2016, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

I normally give very good tips.... horse 5 race 6
Old May 11th 2016, 11:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We are staying at the Madinat Jumeirah. They were building it when we were last there! They were also building the Palms at that time too. We stayed at the Jumeirah Beach last time around and I remember OH and I looking out across desert with just the odd building here and there and commenting on how all of it would be built on soon. I remember feeling a little sad about that but that's progress hey?!

We did a lot of tourist stuff that time around, gold souk, spice souk, ride on a dhow, wadi - bashing, camel ride, the museum, dinner at the Burj. It was a great holiday.

Basically just want to have a bit of a relax and escapism between sorting out my elderly parents and coming back to NZ
Old May 11th 2016, 11:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tipping in Dubai.

Originally Posted by Meow
No one will mug you for cash here.

Where are you staying? Getting to some places can be a bit of a pig early evening so it easier to avoid certain trips then.

I am not a fan of Atlantis (where Nobu is) as it's mostly full of TOWIE wannabes but there are dozens of excellent restaurants in all price ranges. Nobu has good food but I can recommend other very good Japanese places.
Not expecting to get mugged in Dubai, it's the other countries we are visiting first that concern me . Will probably order some Dirhams from our bank in the UK rather than from here. Makes more sense.

All recommendations welcome. Would be nice to meet up with anyone who fancies getting together for a wee drinkie one evening. We get there on 24th June and leave on the 29th, I think.
Old May 11th 2016, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. You'll see that a lot has changed.

All that desert is now completely filled in as far as the eye can see. And much, much more.

It'll be fun for you

We are staying at the Madinat Jumeirah. They were building it when we were last there! They were also building the Palms at that time too. We stayed at the Jumeirah Beach last time around and I remember OH and I looking out across desert with just the odd building here and there and commenting on how all of it would be built on soon. I remember feeling a little sad about that but that's progress hey?!

We did a lot of tourist stuff that time around, gold souk, spice souk, ride on a dhow, wadi - bashing, camel ride, the museum, dinner at the Burj. It was a great holiday.

Basically just want to have a bit of a relax and escapism between sorting out my elderly parents and coming back to NZ
Old May 11th 2016, 11:51 am
Bored liberal

Not expecting to get mugged in Dubai, it's the other countries we are visiting first that concern me . Will probably order some Dirhams from our bank in the UK rather than from here. Makes more sense.

All recommendations welcome. Would be nice to meet up with anyone who fancies getting together for a wee drinkie one evening. We get there on 24th June and leave on the 29th, I think.
You are better off bringing in Sterling and changing it here. The rates are always way worse in the UK as there is little demand for Dirhams. You can change cash in the airport at arrivals.

There are plenty of decent restaurants in the Madinat complex and many more along the beach road, in Mall of the Emirates - all a hop skip and a jump away. It'll be Ramadan so most restaurants and cafes will be shut during the day. The hotel will have a few places open for residents though.

Old May 11th 2016, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
what can I say, I'm a nice guy.
Old May 11th 2016, 2:37 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Re tipping the petrol station guys - maybe worth asking if they actually get to keep the tips. I remember back in 2012 before we left DXB asking one of the guys in an E**rat station this question and he said that all tips were taken by the station operator/oil company. We gave him fruit juice and a sandwich instead.
Old May 11th 2016, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
You are better off bringing in Sterling and changing it here. The rates are always way worse in the UK as there is little demand for Dirhams. You can change cash in the airport at arrivals.

There are plenty of decent restaurants in the Madinat complex and many more along the beach road, in Mall of the Emirates - all a hop skip and a jump away. It'll be Ramadan so most restaurants and cafes will be shut during the day. The hotel will have a few places open for residents though.

Excellent tip Meow. Will bring some Sterling with us then.

Shame we are coming when it's Ramadan but we knew this when we booked it. Will have emergency British biccies in our luggage to cope. That's if there's any room in our luggage after buying clothes in GB, shopping in NZ is shocking.
Old May 11th 2016, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Charl01
I normally give very good tips.... horse 5 race 6
I'll remember that one. Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.