British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Tipping in Dubai. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/tipping-dubai-877246/)

scrubbedexpat094 May 9th 2016 11:52 pm

Tipping in Dubai.

So after months of planning our trip to Europe, UK and Dubai is a fortnight away.

Having lived in New Zealand for 9+ years were tipping anyone is rare, I'm somewhat out of the loop as to what is normal in the rest of the world.

So what is expected in Dubai please, for whom and how much? Just trying to work out what we need to bring in terms of currency. Rarely carry cash in NZ as most people use debit and credit cards even for the smallest transaction like a cup of coffee!

Thanks. Can't wait to spend 5 nights in Dubai, even if it is Ramadan.

Brains1983 May 10th 2016 4:56 am

Re: Tipping in Dubai.

you'll be able to use credit cards here in pretty much any hotel outlet (where the nicer restaurants are / alcohol served) and at costa / starbucks, etc.

ref tipping, I rarely tip to be honest. it's an expensive place at the best of times. I do make an exception to that if we get a fantastic meal and service. 10%. That's just me though.

recommend Nobu if you are looking for a nice place to go out!

Jerseygirl May 10th 2016 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11943913)
So after months of planning our trip to Europe, UK and Dubai is a fortnight away.

Having lived in New Zealand for 9+ years were tipping anyone is rare, I'm somewhat out of the loop as to what is normal in the rest of the world.

So what is expected in Dubai please, for whom and how much? Just trying to work out what we need to bring in terms of currency. Rarely carry cash in NZ as most people use debit and credit cards even for the smallest transaction like a cup of coffee!

Thanks. Can't wait to spend 5 nights in Dubai, even if it is Ramadan.

We spent 5 nights in Dubai towards the end of last year. Had a thoroughly good time doing all the touristy stuff. As far as tipping is concerned...I leave that up to hubby. After living in the US for 18 years...I figure he left a 20% tip.

DXBtoDOH May 10th 2016 5:19 am

It's not expected. Many (most?) don't tip because they're from nationalities that don't tip - Arabs, Indians, East Asians, Germans and the list goes on. They don't think twice about it either.

Just do what you feel like doing. Many of the hotel restaurants have an automatic service charge. At cheap places I might leave up to 10% tip. Never tip in bars or coffee shops. I don't tip generously because it's not guaranteed that the tip goes to the waitstaff. Nor does it guarantee good service either. My one exception is tipping the attendants who pump petrol. They're outside all the time, even in the summer, have to deal with annoying patrons beeping their horns, are often understaffed and overworked, so I always give them an extra 10 AED.

Millhouse May 10th 2016 7:10 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11944022)
My one exception is tipping the attendants who pump petrol. They're outside all the time, even in the summer, have to deal with annoying patrons beeping their horns, are often understaffed and overworked, so I always give them an extra 10 AED.

good lad - they also really appreciate a coke and a packet of crisps if you go into the shop. more than the money.

Meow May 10th 2016 8:08 am

If in doubt you can always ask the staff if they receive tips. I check in the petrol stations from time to time and those guys deserve every Dirham they can get. It's a horrible job, especially in summer.

I tend to tip in most places but the amount depends on the service. No need to do the US amount of 20% though.

scrubbedexpat094 May 11th 2016 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 11944014)
you'll be able to use credit cards here in pretty much any hotel outlet (where the nicer restaurants are / alcohol served) and at costa / starbucks, etc.

ref tipping, I rarely tip to be honest. it's an expensive place at the best of times. I do make an exception to that if we get a fantastic meal and service. 10%. That's just me though.

recommend Nobu if you are looking for a nice place to go out!

Thanks for that. We'd rather not carry too much cash around.

Nobu looks amazing :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat094 May 11th 2016 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11944015)
We spent 5 nights in Dubai towards the end of last year. Had a thoroughly good time doing all the touristy stuff. As far as tipping is concerned...I leave that up to hubby. After living in the US for 18 years...I figure he left a 20% tip.

Just wondering how much we should tip hotel porters. I usually have to give OH a nudge to tip them :blink:

scrubbedexpat094 May 11th 2016 12:42 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11944022)
It's not expected. Many (most?) don't tip because they're from nationalities that don't tip - Arabs, Indians, East Asians, Germans and the list goes on. They don't think twice about it either.

Just do what you feel like doing. Many of the hotel restaurants have an automatic service charge. At cheap places I might leave up to 10% tip. Never tip in bars or coffee shops. I don't tip generously because it's not guaranteed that the tip goes to the waitstaff. Nor does it guarantee good service either. My one exception is tipping the attendants who pump petrol. They're outside all the time, even in the summer, have to deal with annoying patrons beeping their horns, are often understaffed and overworked, so I always give them an extra 10 AED.

Oh good, that makes it easy. We won't be hiring a car on this occasion but that's good to know for the future. Would love for the OH to be able to get a job in Dubai but it seems a hard place to get to without the right contacts :(.
Should a miracle happen then we will tip them when we have a car!

scrubbedexpat094 May 11th 2016 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11944103)
If in doubt you can always ask the staff if they receive tips. I check in the petrol stations from time to time and those guys deserve every Dirham they can get. It's a horrible job, especially in summer.

I tend to tip in most places but the amount depends on the service. No need to do the US amount of 20% though.

Will probably stick to 10% then. We are poor Kiwis now! The last time we came to Dubai was in 2003 from the UK. We found it relatively cheap back then as we had a good standard of living in the UK *sigh*.

scrubbedexpat094 May 11th 2016 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11944076)
good lad - they also really appreciate a coke and a packet of crisps if you go into the shop. more than the money.

That's a nice idea :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat141 May 11th 2016 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11944842)
Just wondering how much we should tip hotel porters. I usually have to give OH a nudge to tip them :blink:

Anything like that I normally just give a nominal 10 dizzers. Maybe more. If I don't have cash then it's just hard luck.

Restaurants and bars have 10% built in, so unless it's been great, I never leave more.

....unless I'm at my local. They ALWAYS get a good tip. :thumbup:

DXBtoDOH May 11th 2016 5:56 am

Whoa, lady!
The last time you were in Dubai was in 2003?

Be prepared to be gobsmacked.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11944846)
Will probably stick to 10% then. We are poor Kiwis now! The last time we came to Dubai was in 2003 from the UK. We found it relatively cheap back then as we had a good standard of living in the UK *sigh*.

scrubbedexpat094 May 11th 2016 6:18 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11944952)
Whoa, lady!

Other than all the building than has gone on since we were last there, what else has changed? Is it a lot more expensive than it was? Probably much busier I would expect.

I'm looking forward to the gobsmacking :rofl:

Jolly kind of you to call me a lady, OH might dispute that :lol:

BEVS May 11th 2016 7:29 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11944952)
Whoa, lady!

Us lot in New Zealand don't get out much.

Last time Mr BEVS had a few days in Dubai was seven years ago.

He says that taxi drivers seem to expect a tip but he wouldn't give one to the taxi driver that got him lost. :unsure: