Reload this Page >

Thuwal - living and working?

Thuwal - living and working?

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

rendar1406 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thuwal - living and working?

Hi everyone,

I am a recently single again 30 year old male, currently being courted for a job at KAUST university in Thuwal.

I am just looking around for as much advice as possible, so that if a offer is made i can make some kind of an informed decision. I don't see myself living there forever, but for a year or 2,.... could be a welcome change.

I've no idea what sort of money we are talking about yet, 1 interview of 3 has been passed ... i suspect money talk starts at the next stage.. I guess i'm looking for advice about what I will do with myself between working hours and what kind of people I'm likely to meet, and how. Dating seems to be problematic from what i've read so far, which may not concern me in the immediate future, but eventually....

I've been told that most people that go out there are sporty people, or families moving for work.. but I wonder if there are any other young people in a similar situation.... I consider myself to be fairly independent, but could unlikely handle a solitary existence.

Many thanks in advance for any advice...
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thuwal - living and working?

My 2 cents

I know a person working there and know people from ARAMCO who have connections with this uni. It is operated by ARAMCO and supported directly by the KiNG. KAUST is a small country inside KSA as life inside is totally different. WHat is Tapo in KSA is allowed inside the campus like gender mixing, bikini on the beach etc.
KAUST is one of the top payer among all universities in KSA. It is some 100 km from Jedda and the campus contains housing, schools for staff kids, etc.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:58 am
Just Joined

TrickiRicky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thuwal - living and working?

Hi rendar1406,

I'm Ricky, I'm also in talk with KAUST to join the IT/Admin team. I'm just waiting for the offer letter and details of visa process. I'm married with a son but they won't be joining me, so I'll be making regular trips back home or meet them in Dubai during school holidays.

I have already spoken to several Brits working out there and it feels very welcoming and sociable. I'm not a sporty kinda person but I'm hoping to join a sailing club to learn and also planning to join some of the weekend trips around the region.

The more I investigate the more positive I feel!

Let me know how you get on, it would be nice to become KAUST Newbie Buddies!

Ricky