Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Threats following non-payment of apartment maintenance charges...

Threats following non-payment of apartment maintenance charges...

Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:59 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Threats following non-payment of apartment maintenance charges...

I had a rather interesting letter posted under my door yesterday from The Management in my building.

It basically said that because so few owners had paid their maintenance charges, The Management may be forced to ban tenants from using the facilities, parking bays (haha - yeah, that'd be fun!) and even (after allegedly sought advice from RERA) may be able to reposess and sell apartments in order to cover the unpaid bill(s).

It then urged us, the tenants, to urge our landlords to pay...

Anyhow, apart from a bit of "haha, you're now reaping what you sowed!", it's kind of raised a few interesting issues... I mean, are they actually legally entitled to to any/all of the above? What happens to a tenancy contract if the property is sold mid-term?

I'm also guessing that we'll very shortly see tenants having to foot the maintenance costs...

Anyone else had any experience of this or have any ideas?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Threats following non-payment of apartment maintenance charges...

Most markets will allow a condo board to place a lien on a condo for unpaid fees.

A lien prevents the property from being transferred... and therefore means that the lien will be paid (eventually).

I don't know about this forced sale business, but it sounds ruthless.