British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Thoughts on SUV's in Doha (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/thoughts-suvs-doha-829947/)

PKUSQA Mar 29th 2014 7:01 pm

Thoughts on SUV's in Doha

So I am finally here and settling in. Plan to buy a new or low mileage (10K-25K km) SUV in the next couple of months. Options (based on my budget of 130K to 160K) include Prado, Nissan Pathfinder, Jeep Cherokee and Ford Explorer. I would prefer to own a Jeep or a Ford but I hear Japanese cars depreciate well here and are generally easier to sell at a short notice. Does anyone have experience owning an American brand here? What is their build quality and how painful is service and parts?

Can you someone share their thoughts on this? Also, what should I be doing before I get a used car (besides buying from a Western Expat)? Should I get something from the dealer as long as it is under warranty?

Appreciate your response in advance.

Millhouse Mar 30th 2014 5:21 am

Re: Thoughts on SUV's in Doha

Originally Posted by PKUSQA (Post 11195988)
So I am finally here and settling in. Plan to buy a new or low mileage (10K-25K km) SUV in the next couple of months. Options (based on my budget of 130K to 160K) include Prado, Nissan Pathfinder, Jeep Cherokee and Ford Explorer. I would prefer to own a Jeep or a Ford but I hear Japanese cars depreciate well here and are generally easier to sell at a short notice. Does anyone have experience owning an American brand here? What is their build quality and how painful is service and parts?

Can you someone share their thoughts on this? Also, what should I be doing before I get a used car (besides buying from a Western Expat)? Should I get something from the dealer as long as it is under warranty?

Appreciate your response in advance.

The decision here is prado vs. pathy. The rest is noise.

The pathy and prado are 'sort of' in different classes, and the price difference large. Having driven both, I'd go for the prado. The pathy was a little too plastic - and I (forgot what it was) but I think there was something about the third row I didn't like... very small.

Don't rule out the fortuner. It's an ugly machine but 20% cheaper than a prado and exactly the same underneath the body work just no pointless computer.

britexpat76 Mar 30th 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11196455)
The decision here is prado vs. pathy. The rest is noise.

The pathy and prado are 'sort of' in different classes, and the price difference large. Having driven both, I'd go for the prado. The pathy was a little too plastic - and I (forgot what it was) but I think there was something about the third row I didn't like... very small.

Don't rule out the fortuner. It's an ugly machine but 20% cheaper than a prado and exactly the same underneath the body work just no pointless computer.

Milhouse loves his Toyota's but I find them as dull as dishwater, wretched machines that you make you hate driving. Your Budget will get you a V8 Grand Cherokee, less money than a V6 Prado twice as much fun and will fly through the desert. Jeeps are good news here as are some American brands, the thing to watch is buying over lapping vehicles - A GMC Yukon is an expensive Chevrolet Tahoe (And will be worth the same withing a year) and only buy a car with warranty with the money you have. The service centres are all useless but at least it will cost you less if something goes pearshaped.

Millhouse Mar 30th 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11196530)
Milhouse loves his Toyota's but I find them as dull as dishwater, wretched machines that you make you hate driving. Your Budget will get you a V8 Grand Cherokee, less money than a V6 Prado twice as much fun and will fly through the desert. Jeeps are good news here as are some American brands, the thing to watch is buying over lapping vehicles - A GMC Yukon is an expensive Chevrolet Tahoe (And will be worth the same withing a year) and only buy a car with warranty with the money you have. The service centres are all useless but at least it will cost you less if something goes pearshaped.

I did like my 3dr pajero too. Well, I hated it, but I loved it at the same time.

Nothing wrong with a Toyota SUV mate. I also like my patrol - but since buying my first jap car (in the UK), I've struggled to accept any other. Maybe, I'll give the germans another go in the future.

PKUSQA Mar 30th 2014 9:22 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11196530)

Thanks - I feel the same way about Toyota's and Nissan's as you do. Just sent you a PM for more detailed thoughts.

britexpat76 Mar 30th 2014 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11196564)
I did like my 3dr pajero too. Well, I hated it, but I loved it at the same time.

Nothing wrong with a Toyota SUV mate. I also like my patrol - but since buying my first jap car (in the UK), I've struggled to accept any other. Maybe, I'll give the germans another go in the future.

I like Pajero and would rather have one of them than Nissan and Toyota.......I do like the new patrol though, thats a proper car. I must of been abused by a toyota in my youth as there is no rational argument for my dislike of them.

norsk Mar 30th 2014 9:44 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11196572)
I like Pajero and would rather have one of them than Nissan and Toyota.......I do like the new patrol though, thats a proper car. I must of been abused by a toyota in my youth as there is no rational argument for my dislike of them.

Prado is boring, but practical and holds its value well. I'm not sure I could bring myself to buying one though. Patrol is overpriced and a little dull. Even the new one...Pajero? Please no...cheap though!

Grand Cherokee has become a decent car over the last few years. Ford Explorer likewise, but what about the Dodge Durango? It certainly looks the part, but you don't see many around...

britexpat76 Mar 30th 2014 9:47 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 11196586)
Prado is boring, but practical and holds its value well. I'm not sure I could bring myself to buying one though. Patrol is overpriced and a little dull. Even the new one...Pajero? Please no...cheap though!

Grand Cherokee has become a decent car over the last few years. Ford Explorer likewise, but what about the Dodge Durango? It certainly looks the part, but you don't see many around...

Agreed with the Durango. I bought and sold 10 last month and ordered more. Dealer price is quite high, about 129 here but its more a 105/110 car.

PKUSQA Mar 30th 2014 10:49 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 11196587)
Agreed with the Durango. I bought and sold 10 last month and ordered more. Dealer price is quite high, about 129 here but its more a 105/110 car.

Drove a Durango in the US a couple of years back - didn't like it much. A bit torn about the Pajero though.

britexpat76 Mar 30th 2014 10:56 am

Originally Posted by PKUSQA (Post 11196642)
Drove a Durango in the US a couple of years back - didn't like it much. A bit torn about the Pajero though.

Pajero is the standard issue wheels here. 110/115 riyals gets you the top of the range and resale is a doddle. It does everything you need distinctively average.

OriginalSunshine Mar 30th 2014 12:59 pm

Prados are so ubiquitous here in Oman that they are called "Princess Prados" since non working wives of the largest O&G company all drive them here because... well.... erm their new BFFs that they have known for ooooh days have got them and says that just everybody has to have one darling. Yawn.