Thoughts on Dubai

Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:46 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on Dubai

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Local yogurt, the almarai ones are only 1 dhm each, they are fine we get them all the time. As for cheese the Anchor is pretty cheap and does the job.
No, I get the Almarai ones, although I do get a bit bored of the strawb-cherry-apricot choice. Cheese-wise (and otherwise), there's indeed plenty that "does the job", but you know what? Part of me feels that I haven't come out here to "make do" with stuff that just "does the job".

I've never been a brand-freak and don't hold much store with them, but I do enjoy my food and so would prefer not to have to cut back on choice or quality. "Prefer" being the operative word.

I think Dubai is in serious trouble too... aside from investors losing however much, or the property bubble exploding, it'll be the normal people on the street who'll decide the fate of this place. Rents are coming down, but there's no such trend in the cost of living. When the people who still have jobs find that they can no longer afford to buy the goods that they consider basic (which include the little "luxuries" that they get in their home countries), it'll be the last nail in the coffin.

Yeah, sure, we can all live off local veg, rice and water... there's a heck of a lot that we can all cut back on, but hello?! Where did the "better quality of life" suddenly go?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree.

There are plenty of people who came out to Dubai not just to make/save money, but to live a nice lifestyle. If I genuinely wanted to save every single penny and live as frugally as possible, I could have stayed at my old job in the US but moved to a cheaper apartment, stopped eating out, cut back on drinking, in general destroy 50% of my social life. There would be no need to come out to Dubai.

I came out here not just to make more money but to also live at least the same standard of living I had back home. Although my salary has been cut, I could still save $$ by reducing my standard of living (which I am sort of doing at the moment), but it's getting to the point that I might as well move back home and reduce my standard of living there too (once a job becomes available. Therein lies the kicker!).

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
No, I get the Almarai ones, although I do get a bit bored of the strawb-cherry-apricot choice. Cheese-wise (and otherwise), there's indeed plenty that "does the job", but you know what? Part of me feels that I haven't come out here to "make do" with stuff that just "does the job".

I've never been a brand-freak and don't hold much store with them, but I do enjoy my food and so would prefer not to have to cut back on choice or quality. "Prefer" being the operative word.

I think Dubai is in serious trouble too... aside from investors losing however much, or the property bubble exploding, it'll be the normal people on the street who'll decide the fate of this place. Rents are coming down, but there's no such trend in the cost of living. When the people who still have jobs find that they can no longer afford to buy the goods that they consider basic (which include the little "luxuries" that they get in their home countries), it'll be the last nail in the coffin.

Yeah, sure, we can all live off local veg, rice and water... there's a heck of a lot that we can all cut back on, but hello?! Where did the "better quality of life" suddenly go?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

stormcooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by klaus3974
Sorry, I did not expected you to take it personally. I am sorry. BTW, I think calling someone an idiot as you did should not be permited, even online.

(Of course, except if you are Admon who has license to insult everyone and to even open personal threads to insult people).

Also, Springs 2 bedroom: 140K May 2008, 180K Sept 2008, 200K November 2008... now as low as 100K. Can give you similar example for properties in the Palm, Marina, Discovery Gardens, etc.

Again, I apologize as I was rude.
Klaus...no hard feelings. I responded defensively, hence my reply.

My take on rents was based on my own searches over the past 6 months....although it's possible I'm equating rents to sterling and that's why they seem to be high to me?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

stormcooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shehryar
Good post and some intelligent points well made...but not a view and and a conclusion that I share. Dubai is in trouble, but less so than alternative places such as Singapore, London (Iceland on Thames?) or even Shanghai. And unlike the UK, Singapore rtc, UAE as a whole is still okay-ish, which is what matters in the long run.

Yes many investors have lost money, many good people have lost jobs and we are affected in so many ways...but that's true everywhere.

There are no pots of gold here, nor are the streets paved with the shiny stuff.....unfortunately, many people came here with that misapprehension and those are the ones shouting the loudest as their delusions have been found out.
I'll take your word on Singapore and Iceland, and maybe London is in more trouble than Dubai? I don't know. Since I hail from the UK and it's my home, perhaps i feel a little more secure in the UK and the threat doesn't seem as bad?
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

Stay in the UK - right now its utopia by comparison.

There are no pots of gold here, nor are the streets paved with the shiny stuff.....unfortunately, many people came here with that misapprehension and those are the ones shouting the loudest as their delusions have been found out.
.... Klaus, still unsure, meow, jammy . They are the types that sold them selves short (if possible) and ruined the hardship packages dubai was reknowned for.

There are certainly some sensible people in Dubai on hardship packages that will do EXTREMELY well out of it no doubt. Im sure they were the ones that were there at the very start of the boom.

In the right circumstances (not my current family and financial ones) I would do the same.

But why move to a place that exists on credit during a credit crunch!

The missaprehended would like nothing more than to suck people into the myth the marketers sold them - which shows how thick they are as it just ruins competiton for the dwindling roles and drops salaries more!

Unfortunately there are people like me that enjoy providing balance.

Next stop capitulation.

Im sure beyond that the 2 bob poms on Uk packages will have been weeded out and dubai salaries will go back to decent hardship ones with housing, 6-12 month termination periods, proper healthcare etc etc.

Once they are gone and the packages are sorted out Ill reconsider a 1.2m dh position.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:16 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mantronic

.... Klaus, still unsure, meow, jammy . They are the types that sold them selves short (if possible) and ruined the hardship packages dubai was reknowned for.

There are certainly some sensible people in Dubai on hardship packages that will do EXTREMELY well out of it no doubt. Im sure they were the ones that were there at the very start of the boom.

In the right circumstances (not my current family and financial ones) I would do the same.

The missaprehended would like nothing more than to suck people into the myth the marketers sold them - which shows how thick they are as it just ruins competiton for the dwindling roles and drops salaries more!

Next stop capitulation.

Im sure beyond that the 2 bob poms on Uk packages will have been weeded out and dubai salaries will go back to decent hardship ones with housing, 6-12 month termination periods, proper healthcare etc etc.

Once they are gone and the packages are sorted out Ill reconsider a 1.2m dh position.
oh, please hold your breath while you wait!
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:22 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree BC - all the supermarket prices being quoted here seem to be for 'imported' (ie Western) goods at Waitrose & Spinneys. Try local (ie regional and Indian) produce at Carrefour / LuLu / your local grocery store, and the prices are much cheaper, and before the Sterling exchange rate crash, were definitely better value than the UK. Now, probably at par with the average UK prices (Tesco / Sainsbury etc).
the last time I was in Asda I was shocked at the price of fruit, it is way cheaper here.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:51 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Next stop capitulation.

You sad, nasty little man. You know nothing of my personal situation but I assure you I have never sold myself short. I am doing very well thank you and my eyes are wide open. You are just bitter as you could not cut it here.

I really hope you never return as your type is not welcome anywhere.

As as for you being paid AED 1.2M

-
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:52 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Meow
You sad, nasty little man. You know nothing of my personal situation but I assure you I have never sold myself short. I am doing very well thank you and my eyes are wide open. You are just bitter as you could not cut it here.

I really hope you never return as your type is not welcome anywhere.

As as for you being paid AED 1.2M

-
and he thinks i'm in dubai!!

seriously, mantronic, seek professional help. you were in the ME what, 6 months ago, and you're still chucking trantrums about it and insulting people like some old drunk??? (if it was longer, god help you, go get some prozac and move on)
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Next stop capitulation.

Hahahahaha. Stop. Hahahaha. What an honor to be insulated by you.
The only time I sold myself short was when I got married for the first time... and that was not Sheik Mo's fault. FYI: when i moved to Dubai I got a 300% increase in my salary and I was already well paid.

How expensive are analyst in Aussieland that you need to come here to clean your sh*t?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:09 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

wow mantronic, you have actually picked the complete wrong people to chose as examples of the point you are striving to bore us to death with.

I agree in a lot of what you are saying, the newbies who have come have screwed things up by accepting shit conditions and packages that have now become the norm for a lot of industries, hell though thats life.

If you cant get a good package here, leave end of. You never even arrived so i am unsure why you harbour such a grudge.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Next stop capitulation.

You are a joke!
Trying to score points off other peoples misfortune is just trash talk and i think really sums you up...
I know you didnt get that bar job in Dubai, tough luck, get over it. If you couldnt get a job here in the boomtime, you must really have sucked at what you do...
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

mantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nicemantronic is just really nice

Hmm hit a raw nerve ha ha.

If its so untrue then why the emotional replies You have to wonder really.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm hit a raw nerve ha ha.

If its so untrue then why the emotional replies You have to wonder really.
What I wonder is why you come back here over and over just to make the same point? Very strange for somebody so keen to be viewed as such a bigshot - you seem to have a lot of cheap time on your hands.

I'm starting to wonder whether you are just some weirdo fantasist who is actually sat in a 1 bed flat, with the bra section of a home shopping catalogue for company. :embaressed_smile:
Old Mar 12th 2009, 12:23 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
What I wonder is why you come back here over and over just to make the same point? Very strange for somebody so keen to be viewed as such a bigshot - you seem to have a lot of cheap time on your hands.

I'm starting to wonder whether you are just some weirdo fantasist who is actually sat in a 1 bed flat, with the bra section of a home shopping catalogue for company. :embaressed_smile:
maybe it's because people keep on taking his bait and bite time and time again...he must be laughing himself silly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.