Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Those *****ers have finally lost it...

Those *****ers have finally lost it...

Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:23 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those *****ers have finally lost it...

I remember reading a while ago that it was being totally refurbished and going to have more eating places (got to beat the dodgy take out hut !!!) and more recreational activities and I think a jogging track - can't quite remember now but appeared to be quite a big project
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

trailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fairydust View Post
I remember reading a while ago that it was being totally refurbished and going to have more eating places (got to beat the dodgy take out hut !!!) and more recreational activities and I think a jogging track - can't quite remember now but appeared to be quite a big project
"the subsequent Phase II development, due to commence in early 2006, involves the enhancement of beach amenity facilities through landscaping of the beachfront. Besides a corniche walkway throughout the development, other beach amenities proposed include dedicated facilities for police rescue and coastguard operations, aesthetically appealing and functionally enhanced life guard towers, covered changing rooms with locker facilities, a jogging track for the fitness conscious, interactive water and beach sports activities, amphitheatre for open air activities, food courts and restaurants, an informal beach market, a skate park of international standard, additional parking and improved landscaping."

http://www.ameinfo.com/75854.html
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:03 am
W10

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
I don't see why it has to be a negative thing, apart from the fact that there will be no public beach left.
Rhetorical question?

Just for your info.

This project is 4.5m sq feet.

The total shop floor space in Mall of the Emirates is 2.4m square feet.

Oh...and no-one has seen any plans, or knows what it looks like.

Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:45 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10 View Post
Rhetorical question?

Just for your info.

This project is 4.5m sq feet.

The total shop floor space in Mall of the Emirates is 2.4m square feet.

Oh...and no-one has seen any plans, or knows what it looks like.
yes....and....
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:04 pm
W10

Of course...why preserve the free beach which is a haven for tens of thousands of lower paid workers and families. **** em....lets put concrete everywhere.

Beaches are for tourists, or those who want to pay.

If you think having Mall of the Emirates instead of a beach is a good thing, then you'll be in a minority. In fact, I've heard nothing but bitching about this from nationals as well. But as it is a sheikh behind the project...everyone will all play along nicely eventually.

PS - the project will involve dredging and creating more man made land (wow another stupid project jutting out into the sea, just what Dubai needs)

**** this stupid city. I'm glad I spend most weekends away from it.

Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:23 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

If theyd left Dubai as a sandy wasteland people would be complaining, when they develop it people complain. Frankly i think a corniche is a great idea its one thing thats missing here.
i dont care what the plans look like, i'll see it when its done if its nice great if not hey ho never mind.
Most countries around the world **** up their city planning constantly so why should here be any different.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:32 pm
W10

There is a difference between Dubai remaining a sandy wasteland (which it patently isn't) and Dubai turning the most popular stretch of free beach in the country into a 4.5m sq ft commerical and residential development which takes up the entire beach.

There is a difference between Dubai being a sandy wasteland, and things like Dubai Country Club and Dubai Exiles closing (for a commerical development), charities being kicked out of their homes....its hyper capitalism gone mad.

True, other towns ****ed up their town planning in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s (because of various post-war expediency and welfare reasons) and now regret it bitterly. Other cities also give residents a chance to object to applications, and now they have planning laws to preserve public spaces.

The point of people making mistakes in the past is to allow people in the future to learn from them.

Just out of interest. Do you use the beach?

A city for the rich, and no-one else. It isn't a nice concept.

Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:36 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

no, i cant stand all the whinging expats there, so i drive up the coast instead

sometimes nip down for ten mins on the way past with a coffee in the middle of the day though. whether its a corniche or sand wont make any difference to my enjoyment of the smellof the sea and the sound.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:41 pm
Get Up Offa That Thing

fazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nicefazzo is just really nice

i was planning to start jogging along the beach in the mornings sand makes for great jogging surface since it dampens impact..
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:28 pm

Boydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud ofBoydy101 has much to be proud of

True, other towns ****ed up their town planning in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s (because of various post-war expediency and welfare reasons) and now regret it bitterly. Other cities also give residents a chance to object to applications, and now they have planning laws to preserve public spaces.

The point of people making mistakes in the past is to allow people in the future to learn from them.

A city for the rich, and no-one else. It isn't a nice concept.
How do we know we've learned from the past?

What makes what we're doing now any better than the hideous modernist architecture and townplanning of the 60's?

In the UK they're still building out of town shopping developments, there's strong indication green belt rules will be relaxed to allow residential developments, since the 90's there's been only a 9% increase in the cost of driving while at the same time bus and train travel have increased by 40%.

I can't see us looking back at this period in our countries history and thinking 'damn they got it spot on then.' The point of making mistakes in the past is so we can make new ones in the future...

Is this complaining week?:curse: There's some bad vibes on the board at the minute...

So here's to everyone:

Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

julieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nicejulieaddison is just really nice

sometimes nip down for ten mins on the way past with a coffee in the middle of the day though. whether its a corniche or sand wont make any difference to my enjoyment of the smellof the sea and the sound.
Shiva great comment, I am not there yet but would like to have a nice peaceful coffee up the coast with you when I arrive like your outlook. Where up the coast do you go? Email me off list if you dont want others to know. [email protected]
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:13 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva View Post

Up the coast where, Jebel Ali? Guess not since that's off limits now as well. Ghantoot? I'd rather have whinging expats than minging indians. Amazing that dubai is on the coast and soon you'll have to drive 30 minutes just to see sand. Talk about ruining the last nice thing going for it.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:16 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with Jumeirah Beach Park?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:51 am
W10

It's not free.

People seem to forget that not everyone here is a wealthy expat. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are living on or below the breadline. I love seeing families playing together on the free beach, or the kids running around during the normal racing season in the free enclosure at Nad Al Sheba.

There is nothing wrong IMHO of mourning the loss of the most popular public beach in the country to the whim of a developer.

It's madness.

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

It's not free.

People seem to forget that not everyone here is a wealthy expat. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are living on or below the breadline. I love seeing families playing together on the free beach, or the kids running around during the normal racing season in the free enclosure at Nad Al Sheba.

There is nothing wrong IMHO of mourning the loss of the most popular public beach in the country to the whim of a developer.

It's madness.
Being a kiwi the term "free beach" is just ridiculous. It should seem equally ridiculous for any nationality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.