British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Those *****ers have finally lost it... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/those-%2A%2A%2A%2A%2Aers-have-finally-lost-435616/)

W10 Mar 19th 2007 5:19 am

Those *****ers have finally lost it...

http://www.gulfnews.com/business/Dev.../10112112.html

NorthernLad Mar 19th 2007 6:21 am

Re: Those *****ers have finally lost it...

Fantastic planning - starting work before seeing what the final plans are.

I'm not a construction expert, is this normal for Dubai?

GrecoRomano Mar 19th 2007 6:30 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 4532870)

"Beachfront lifestyle". Delightful.

W10 Mar 19th 2007 7:23 am

Ah...the free Burj beach will now be unbearable to go to, soon to be replaced by advertisements using the words 'luxury', 'lifestyle' and 'fittings'

Also soon to announce the Burj Beach Beach Club...enjoy the beach you used to sit on for free, now only Dh15,000 a year (one cheque and no Indians)

littlejimmy Mar 19th 2007 7:31 am

Enabling Works can be carried out before design is finalised.

In fact, you can pretty much guarantee on any job that the building will be 80% complete and some Architect on an ego-trip will want to change something. And not want to pay for it, naturally.

MJC Mar 19th 2007 7:34 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4532962)
Also soon to announce the Burj Beach Beach Club...enjoy the beach you used to sit on for free, now only Dh15,000 a year (one cheque and no Indians)

Many a true word, and all that....

Desert Dweller Mar 19th 2007 7:34 am

'kin 'ell- I remember when it was Chicago Beach!

Jeeper Mar 19th 2007 7:47 am

yes

shiva Mar 19th 2007 7:51 am

To be honest I'm surprised it took this long. They should have done this before all the other new developments. A nice corniche type thingy is lacking here

MataHari Mar 19th 2007 7:54 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 4533008)
To be honest I'm surprised it took this long. They should have done this before all the other new developments. A nice corniche type thingy is lacking here

Absolutely....a promenade like they have in France and Italy...lots of restaurants with outside seating, shops, a nice walkway....I cannot believe it's not done already...all seaside resorts have one, even in Holland, lol.

GrecoRomano Mar 19th 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 4533013)
Absolutely....a promenade like they have in France and Italy...lots of restaurants with outside seating, shops, a nice walkway....I cannot believe it's not done already...all seaside resorts have one, even in Holland, lol.

"seaside resort", that's the keyword. Dubai is not, they're trying to make it one, e.g. building up a landmark, the Burj Al Arab, and then they'll go for a nice promenade with a view. Of the Burj Al Arab.

I can imagine how envious Nice and Portofino will be when reading the news, not even in Holland, lol!

http://blazingphotos.com/gallery/portofino.html

Boydy101 Mar 19th 2007 9:45 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4532976)
Enabling Works can be carried out before design is finalised.

In fact, you can pretty much guarantee on any job that the building will be 80% complete and some Architect on an ego-trip will want to change something. And not want to pay for it, naturally.

Isn't that known as Early Contractor Involvement? lol.

Yeah it's not unusual provided the client doesn't mind the possible delays and cost of having to change everything again!

Any idea who the master planners are?

MataHari Mar 19th 2007 9:58 am

Originally Posted by GrecoRomano (Post 4533218)
"seaside resort", that's the keyword. Dubai is not, they're trying to make it one, e.g. building up a landmark, the Burj Al Arab, and then they'll go for a nice promenade with a view. Of the Burj Al Arab.

I can imagine how envious Nice and Portofino will be when reading the news, not even in Holland, lol!

http://blazingphotos.com/gallery/portofino.html

yes...they are trying to make one, which is fair enough. Can't blame them for wanting to. Dubai doesn't come with that spectaculair backdrop that places in France and Italy have, so it has to do things another way. It's a thing that visitors miss when they are here, the one in the Marina is a start but much more is needed where you can walk and sit outside....I don't see why it has to be a negative thing, apart from the fact that there will be no public beach left.

IndieG Mar 19th 2007 10:04 am

They will ruin this development too, yet again, by building really ugly looking buildings and covering every square inch of the beach.

Look at those ugly buildings dotting the creekside (when you look across from the Creek park), the Marina, JLT, the Palm.

Can't imagine what these glass facade buildings must look like now, after the recent sand storms:ohmy:

Madam Medusa Mar 19th 2007 12:44 pm

You just wish for once they could leave something as it is...the beach there is fine, and great to go for an afternoon with the kids. They are also working on the public beach in Jumeirah 1 - anyone any ideas what they are doing there??

MM, xx