Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Abu Dhabi...but not sure.

Thinking of Abu Dhabi...but not sure.

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:28 am
Just Joined

loutom123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of Abu Dhabi...but not sure.

Hi everyone

My fiance and I are trying to plot our next move abroad. I work in construction and the middle east looks like the most likely place that we'll be able to get work. We've had a look around and of the places in the middle east we'd prefer Abu Dhabi. I'm looking for some advice on the following:

1. Is it an enjoyable place to stay?
2. Will she find it particularly restrictive (being a woman)?
3. What is the general cost of living for a couple? (I've seen stuff for families and schools etc on here but we're not in that bracket)
4. What are the things about AD that you would prefer to Dubai?
5. For people who work in construction; are you generally driving for hours to get to work or is it quite local to the main construction areas?
6. Is anyone looking for a QS??

I'd really appreciate any advice on this. We're both Scottish and have been living in the caribbean for a year so we're ready for a shock to the system, just want to get a good understanding of it.

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:36 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice
Default Re: Thinking of Abu Dhabi...but not sure.

All I can say is that Abu Dhabi seems nice. Traffic seems the biggest drawback aside from the astronomical cost of living. I don't know how it stacks up internationally but it would compare to Honolulu (most expensive in the US). Possibly even worse if school is a factor or you want inexpensive accomodation since that may not exist to anything near western standards.

The only thing shocking about Abu Dhabi (or Al Ain) is how non-shocking it really is here.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:01 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loutom123
Hi everyone

My fiance and I are trying to plot our next move abroad. I work in construction and the middle east looks like the most likely place that we'll be able to get work. We've had a look around and of the places in the middle east we'd prefer Abu Dhabi. I'm looking for some advice on the following:

3. What is the general cost of living for a couple? (I've seen stuff for families and schools etc on here but we're not in that bracket)
5. For people who work in construction; are you generally driving for hours to get to work or is it quite local to the main construction areas?

I'd really appreciate any advice on this. We're both Scottish and have been living in the caribbean for a year so we're ready for a shock to the system, just want to get a good understanding of it.

Thanks
think there are lots of construction people getting made redundant out here..
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:08 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Thanks
Look in the jobs section. Once you've posted 5 messages (I think) you can start sending PMs to people.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Look in the jobs section. Once you've posted 5 messages (I think) you can start sending PMs to people.
Really? Thanks for that...I wonder if posting this reply will get me on my way...if it does there's a fair chance I'll be responding a few times!!

Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Yes there seems to more job for QS these days - but you are competing with the ones that got laid off here.

You should be married.( I won't come here without been married)

Costs depends on your lifestyle - you can do the 5 star hotels every weekend or go camping to the desert with a few beers (cheap).

Don't know much about Abu Dhabi - but lots to do in Dubai (if you have the money)
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Poitin
Yes there seems to more job for QS these days - but you are competing with the ones that got laid off here.

You should be married.( I won't come here without been married)

Costs depends on your lifestyle - you can do the 5 star hotels every weekend or go camping to the desert with a few beers (cheap).

Don't know much about Abu Dhabi - but lots to do in Dubai (if you have the money)
So is it against the laws to be living together but not married? Is this something that could be picked up upon or is it one of these things that doesn't happen?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:39 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

So is it against the laws to be living together but not married? Is this something that could be picked up upon or is it one of these things that doesn't happen?
it goes on all the time, just be descrete..if strangers ever ask, then you are married..
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

as long as you dont get pregnant, go onto adw and see whats happening on there about a thread on a new mum etc
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Originally Posted by commander
it goes on all the time, just be descrete..if strangers ever ask, then you are married..
If she gets a job then the company can cover her visa and pay for her health care.
I known lots of couples here that aren't married but it has caused lots of headaches - having to do serveral visa runs etc. I just don't think its worth all the stress.

I also think that if there are less expats here next year - the government will crack down on their laws a bit more - especially in AD.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

I also think that if there are less expats here next year - the government will crack down on their laws a bit more - especially in AD.
Why?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Why?
give them something to do perhaps
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hawkhead
Why?
Why not? They'll have more time on their hands

Lets see- what happens. Just for the OP to be aware of the law here - won't rush into getting married though.

Just heard the other day about a british bloke banged up for been drunk and not having a drink license - must get mine renewed.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
not just stangers. If anyone asks, you're married, even new friends.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poitin
If she gets a job then the company can cover her visa and pay for her health care.
I known lots of couples here that aren't married but it has caused lots of headaches - having to do serveral visa runs etc. I just don't think its worth all the stress.

How so. It was less strict 12 years ago with fewer expats....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.