Reload this Page >

Things to check out in Abu Dhabi

Things to check out in Abu Dhabi

Old Mar 10th 2013, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Hughsey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things to check out in Abu Dhabi

Hi all,

My husband has recently been offered a job in Abu Dhabi to start in September this year. Neither of us has ever been to AD before so its very exciting but a little daunting! We've decided to take a few days out there in April to explore a little and hopefully come to a firm decision about moving.
Can anyone suggest places we ought to visit to help make up our minds? We are 28 and 31 with no children. We'd be looking to live near the beach but also close to bars and restaurants (if possible).
We'd like an idea of what real life out there is like as much as possible in our short trip, so both good and bad things to experience would be helpful!

Thanks!
Hughsey
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:26 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Things to check out in Abu Dhabi

Live in Dubai (JBR/Marina) and commute
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Live in Dubai (JBR/Marina) and commute
terrible advice.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:39 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
terrible advice.
Agreed. Bloody awful advice.

Better to try and find a place on or near Abu Dhabi Corniche. Depends on salary and allowances though...it's not cheap there.

N.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Book a couple of nights on Yas Island while you are here, possibly attending one of the many concerts also on offer.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion Abu Dhabi is the best place to live in Middle East.

I've harped on about it before but the flats at Rihan Heights at Zayed Sports City are lovely (esp if you like your sport)...but for beach the Corniche and Khaladiya are where you want to be.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
In my opinion Abu Dhabi is the best place to live in Middle East.

I've harped on about it before but the flats at Rihan Heights at Zayed Sports City are lovely (esp if you like your sport)...but for beach the Corniche and Khaladiya are where you want to be.
We're around ZSS alot and I nipped into the insy spinneys there the other day. What's the occupation rate like? I love the Noodle Bowl, my HK chinese mate introduced me to it saying it's the most authentic food she found.

OP, an apartment near the Corniche would be great.

Check out some bars. Yacht Club on a Weds night at the Intercon. Or Left Bank/ 8 out at the Souk near the Shang ri La on Thurs or Fir. Eat at Sho Cho first and then go upstairs and have a dance. (I'm more of a dinner only girl these days so things may have changed)

Live band's at Heroes (which has SMARTENED up!) every week night after 10 or something. There will be others on here that know more.

Get hold of the paddleboarding or kayaking club and get out on the water. Or get a boat and go out to Ma na island (?). Yas island beach also gets a good right up.

Yas Waterworld is goo fun if you want to just play.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Good Pubs in Le Meridian (NRG Sports bar & Captains) & Sheraton Corniche (Tavern). Plenty of Taxis to get around.
Beaches......hmmmm maybe Hilton beach club if you to drink. September is a good time to come as the weather starts to cool in October/November (then you can go outside).
Yas Island is not a good place to stay but OK to visit the F1 track, waterworld & Ferrari World on mini holiday.